What's new

Security Cameras advice

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
I also bought a Lorex system but upgraded to one with motorized remote variable lens dome cameras. Not knowing exactly where I will be placing them it will give me some flexibility on the image I want to capture. It was only about $100 more for this feature. I almost went with the system that also offered 2 pan/tilt/zoom cameras but can add them later if needed.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Mine are only 720p from lorex.

Heres a screen shot from the recording in my auto. The camera is at the upper front corner of the bay, just under the rail hiegth, and currently soaked in undercarriage spray. Plate is clear as day even though the sun is very strong at the back door. The photo is untouched. Just blacked out some numbers.

Lorex 720p hd

This is a cell phone pic of the flat screen, so some quality is lost in the photo here. You can see the reflection of a shelf on the TV screen becuase its a picture of the monitor. Also, I am a little closer to the screen this time to reduce the lines. The full field of view is larger, I can see the whole exit door from this camera.

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
I also bought a Lorex system but upgraded to one with motorized remote variable lens dome cameras. Not knowing exactly where I will be placing them it will give me some flexibility on the image I want to capture. It was only about $100 more for this feature. I almost went with the system that also offered 2 pan/tilt/zoom cameras but can add them later if needed.
Yeah the varifocal are nice and ptz is off the hook but each step up gets more costly, especially the ptz camera! My 720 system also has the capability to add one if I want.

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Cool man! Good deals. The varifocal are going to be some really great detailed images I think..

Dang you guys are all getting nicer systems than I got..lol

Ahh theres so many great options I keep seeing now.. For a hundred more i can get, and 50 more and a hundred more i can get... Lol Well I just have to say I'm sticking with my budget I guess.

Well I hope all you guys are satisfied with lorex like I am. Otherwise I'm gonna be in got water on the forum. Lol jk.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
Cool man! Good deals. The varifocal are going to be some really great detailed images I think..

Dang you guys are all getting nicer systems than I got..lol

Ahh theres so many great options I keep seeing now.. For a hundred more i can get, and 50 more and a hundred more i can get... Lol Well I just have to say I'm sticking with my budget I guess.

Well I hope all you guys are satisfied with lorex like I am. Otherwise I'm gonna be in got water on the forum. Lol jk.
You might have a class action suit against you if its no good!!!!!

soapy

Reaction score
Paul, you bought the same Lorex system as me. We installed the $349 8 camera Swann system from Sam's over the weekend. We could use all our existing coax cables so it was simple to just mount cameras. For $349 it is a great buy and improved our coverage and quality.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Ha-ha! I have this sort of thing happen alot. You can take up your suits with lorex; their parent company flir reported like 389 million last quarter. Lol

I think everyone knows its not going to be like a 2,000 dollar system but definitely one of the best for the money. There's always a trade off with lower priced items maybe there's a glitch here and there, or a gripe or two, but it costs up to half of what other comparable systems would cost to deliver the same main features.

Its definitely a top contender in the economical surveillance market. I could not find another that matched it actually that's why I chose it after extensive research and deliberation. I even made a list of all the different brands, specs, lowest cost found, cameras, ect...Lorex won in my book.

I wanted the best system that could be had for the lowest cost. Price was point 1, it had to fit my budget. Point 2 was what did I get for that money.

And as soapy says, "Knowledge not shared is wasted"

Last edited:

WikiWash

Reaction score
Thats because Lorex systems are still using older coaxal technology (the same tech my 10 year old cameras are using) and not CAT 5 POE that you would use for the latest and greatest IP cameras.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Yes and all IP systems cost about double. So that's great if you got the money to spend! :) I would if budget wasn't a concern for sure.

I'm sure the picture quality would be much better than 10year old systems though. The compression technology has advanced.

Most companies still produce bnc cameras becuse the cost has not come down on ip yet.. All the systems I compared were bnc, they are the only ones that fit my price range. Lorex has a 32 camera 1080 IP system that was on sale for like 2500 last week.

Systems with 16 hd cameras that cost under a grand are not IP, poe cameras, no.:)

Low cost solutions.

Last edited:

msalvatore

Reaction score
I just ordered some Hikvision 4mp IP cameras. I will report back with some screen shots. when I get them installed

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I just ordered some Hikvision 4mp IP cameras. I will report back with some screen shots. when I get them installed

Please do. From what I've read on the various forums, those are top notch with noticeably better dark/low light performance. The system I'm building out is likely based around those, unless I go with a HD-CVI system ( HD cameras over Coax cables for those that are unfamiliar).

mrfixit

Reaction score
Yeah I looked into them, petty nice, the latest and greatest lower cost IPcam, theres a pretty detailed discussion here -

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/3718-Hikvision-s-new-4MP-2-series/?page=19

Funny thing is there's a guy with my same screen name that's involved there. The link above he discusses the frame rates and what is needed. 15fps is perceived real time. 30fps is actual real time. Barely a noticeable difference.

mrfixit

Reaction score
OK this time took a screen shot of the android flircloud app on my motoG. App video quality high, 720p camera, here.

For me the remote viewing was so easy to set up I was viewing on my phones instantly before I even had a monitor hooked up... Oh and look at that presoak hanging.:)

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
Lorex still has thier cyber Monday active at 25% off!! In addition to thier already low price!

I swear they don't even care, they will probably leave it up all week if its selling units. Its the end of the year, need to clear inventory.

soapy

Reaction score
Gigapixel Ip would be great except for the cost. Here is a shot from my $349 Sams HD 8 camera system