What's new

Security Cameras advice

pgrzes

Reaction score
Prez, what kind of damage claim do you have for $75k ? Was that against you, or claim against the customer?
2 seperate claims. 1st one guy with a service truck that was to tall went in anyway pretty much tore everything out!! Ripped the dryer stand out of the floor and almost pulled carriage off tracks, that was a $60k claim. 2nd one guy decided he wanted to open his door to spit!!! Ripped tbar off left side and caused all kinds of wiring issues. Had me down for almost 2 weeks. That was about $19k still waiting on payment for that one. Fortunately I had the cameras to catch the 2 people that did it, but only because they had a company name on the sides of the vehicle. If it was a generic vehicle I would not have gotten a tag # and been on my own. Again I have a 16 camera system and I am thinking of adding another 16 cameras, I have a 7 bay ss with a washworld hv auto. My building is a l shaped building with 2 road access.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Yeah pretty crazy. My last one was oversized vehicle drug the iba down the tracks. But didnt break it off. Had ryko estimate at 6000 plus we got down time. Only reason we got em at the time was it was a brand new truck, first wash and they reported it to police. Her insurance paid, plus downtime. (State farm)

We've had a number of machine hits and door hits that we paid for. Not anymore, 4 cameras will be in and out of the automatic.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Damg this 1080 systemis only 100 more than I paid for mine now... I'm considering returning the 720 (60 day return policy) and getting 1080 for only 100 more today...

Dang don't know if its worth the trouble. These 720 are pretty good but 100 plus return shipping doesn't break the bank for 1080. I don't know I may just keep it, but the deals are crazy right now.

Is it that much better?

mrfixit

Reaction score
Remember if you have a 1080 camera system you need a 1080p tv screen to take advantage otherwise you'll never really see the 1080 quality.

soapy

Reaction score
I was at Sam's club today and they had a Swan 8 camera 1080p system with a 2TB hard drive on sale today for $349. I have been having problems with one older camera system at a location so I picked this one up. We were able to hook all the original cameras up to the new system and the video from the old cameras were greatly enhanced just because of the better video card in the new unit. We will change out the cameras as time allows and be able to keep the old cables without having to run new for now. It seemed like it was a couple of hundred bucks every time I had to take the old system in to get a new hard drive or what ever. Just turned out to be much cheaper and better quality to just bite the bullet and move up. Plus it has a 3 year warranty.

Randy

Reaction score
I’d jump on one of these systems in heart beat if they have a Ball cameras instead of the Bullet cameras. What the bad guys do here is bring a pole, like a fiberglass telescoping painter’s pole and push the Bullet cameras up. I went out last week and fixed a car wash that had been trashed, guy had nice Costco camera system and they pushed up all the cameras, got a picture of a guy in the hoodie with sunglasses on at 4:27am. We only Ball cameras, they can’t be pushed up.

soapy

Reaction score
I agree on the Ball cameras. I did see on the costco site that you could buy 2 of the HD ball cameras for around $300. For the price I am going to have 3 sided enclosures made to go over the bullet cameras so they can't be moved.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I agree on the Ball cameras. I did see on the costco site that you could buy 2 of the HD ball cameras for around $300. For the price I am going to have 3 sided enclosures made to go over the bullet cameras so they can't be moved.
Another thing to consider is that with the tinted dome, not only can't they move the lens, it's also hard for someone to know exactly which direction its pointing.

MEP001

Reaction score
We had an employee who would come in every morning and push the cameras up with a stick so she could steal.

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I just installed a new Q-See 1080P IP security system and I love it. The cables are all plug and play, and the internet setup was a cinch. I went by the wash this afternoon and someone had left a big mess so I pulled up the camera just for fun, and was able to get his license plate as he pulled in the bay. It was crystal clear. My old 600 TVL system at my other wash would never have caught the tag that clear. I am going to see what it looks like in the dark, but I may not even invest in license plate cameras at this site. I would highly recommend the HD systems that are out there now. The other cool thing was on the playback that I can actually play the recording backwards. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal, but it sure beats rewinding and trying to stop and play and get the right part to view. I was very impressed.

Thanks,
Lighthouse

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
What are advantageous / disadvantageous of IP cameras vs a DVR you simply view from the net.

For those who strip their own cable and install their own BNC fittings, what brand tools and source for same do you recommend?

pgrzes

Reaction score
Well I wasnt really in the market for another 16 cameras, but with the discount I bought this system yesterday! https://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-...6-camera-HD-1080p-home-security-system/2029.p
It was $734 + free shipping with the black friday discount. So I will have 32 cameras and 2 seperate systems. Guess I know have a project for my worker to do while I am away next week!!! Not sure if you can still get the discount today but When I copied the link it is still showing the code there?? Jsut wondering anyone that has this system, how is the interface? My Q-See system is pretty good on my Iphine and I have an Ipad at home that is always on.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
What are advantageous / disadvantageous of IP cameras vs a DVR you simply view from the net.

For those who strip their own cable and install their own BNC fittings, what brand tools and source for same do you recommend?
Not sure I understand your question. You're comparing a camera(IP) vs. a recording device(analog).

mrfixit

Reaction score

IP is poe Ethernet connection. One cable. Cost about double an analog 1080 system but also has better quality video. The latest technology. It can also be run through internet switches making it easier to expand. Many carwashes don't have a complete network setup or good bandwidth.

Here is a pretty good complete overview of the differences in a PDF.

http://www.aventuratechnologies.com/newsletter/DOCS/Aventura_Newsletter_02_Analog_vs_IP_Cameras.pdf

Or page by page from thier site.

I like the press fit better than crimped. They have kits on amazon. A cheap set should be good for a couple jobs no problem, better ones can be used daily for years.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Congratulations Doug. For the money there's no complaints from me. Looks like the code will be good through cyber Monday.

I notice the 1080 systems on the low end models record 1080 @ 15fps. But view in 30fps I believe. so you sacrifice a little fluidness for clarity. Its not real jerky or anything but not as fluid as your own eyes. To get 1080 at 30fps on each channel you have to go nvr IP system at a substantial cost.

Each camera can be adjusted seperatly, if you want 30fps in certain areas you can change to record in 720 for 30fps.

You have to look real closely at other hd systems, many won't even record all channels in 1080 or even 720, at all. So while this seems like an issue, its better than many others, and probably any others in this price range.

Here's the break down between thier recievers; from lorex

https://www.lorextechnology.com/sup...-right-type-of-home-security-system-/13800068

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
I’d jump on one of these systems in heart beat if they have a Ball cameras instead of the Bullet cameras. What the bad guys do here is bring a pole, like a fiberglass telescoping painter’s pole and push the Bullet cameras up. I went out last week and fixed a car wash that had been trashed, guy had nice Costco camera system and they pushed up all the cameras, got a picture of a guy in the hoodie with sunglasses on at 4:27am. We only Ball cameras, they can’t be pushed up.
Just an FYI. The lorex bullets have a notched locking adjustment on the up and down joint, not a ball. You would have to break it to move it up it seems to me.

Last edited:

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I wasn't necessarily in the market for new camera systems either, but have been needing to upgrade to 1080. Just ordered two systems, one with ball cams and one with bullets so I can mix and match the cams at two different locations as needed. Hope the result is as clear as mrfixit's pic shows. Black Friday deal still works today.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-...stem-with-16-high-definition-cameras-/LH366.p

https://www.lorextechnology.com/HD-...6-camera-HD-1080p-home-security-system/2029.p

pgrzes

Reaction score
the forum should contact Lorex for a bird dog fee!!! So I see it as that just got at least 4 systems sold because of this forum!!!