What's new

Security Cameras advice

soonermajic

Reaction score
My video surveillance system is shot. I figure it's 20 yrs old, & doesn't work. I need advice & recommendations on what to buy. I've never had an act of vandalism, in 14 mos, but figure I need cameras anyways. I don't wanna spend much, & could prolly get away with 4 cameras, but ideally would like 6/8. I've seen a lot of new systems, that folks have put on Craigslist, for around $100 w/ 4 cameras.
Advice....?

WikiWash

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat doing some research on my own. When it comes to any tech you get what you pay for. You have a commercial business and the sound of a 4 camera kit for $100 sounds like something to have for around the house. My new camera system will have IP POE HD cameras that I can view anywhere at my house or even on my phone.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score

Randy

Reaction score
Not to long ago I installed a HD camera system, 14 1080P HD Ball cameras. We won't use a bullet camera at the car wash, they are to easy to push up so you can see what's going on. What ever you do buy a 1080P HD system. I can almost tell you what brand cigarettes someone is smoking the picture is that good.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Costco.

Look at the Swann, Lorex or Q-See. Q-Ser and Lorex are rebranded Dahua, and Swann is rebranded Hikvision - the two largest manufacturers in the game.

Go do some reading at cctvforums and IPcamtalk

ETA:

This is a pretty good system/deal. Plus Costco's excellent return policy.

http://www.costco.com/Swann-16-Chan...with-115'-Night-Vision.product.100144944.html
I bought my Q-See 16 channel 1TB 600tvl camera system at Costco about 5 years ago. While its not 1080P quality, it was decent and a good price for this type system 5 years ago. I think it was $800...If I was in the market today, I'd look closely at the one linked above. I have had virtually no issues out of the Q-See. The Swan is a 1080P system and wouldn't break the bank! Thanks for the link!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing my 4th and 5th Hikvison 1080P system. Things I learned. Existing cables may or may not provide HD picture quality and need to be replaced. 6 Months ago I wanted a 32 Channel unit and they didn't have it, now they apparently do. Nice to be able to review remotley and 3 times so far when the Alarm company called at 3:00 am I went to my phone and saw that all was OK. I also went out and bought 32" 1080P TVs from Best Buy to take advantage of the clarity.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Good gosh almighty Joe Friday. I can't spend $1100 + pay for installation. Even if installation was Free! I gotta find something $200 or less. Can you do that, & still get HD/1080P? I only need 4 cameras.

MEP001

Reaction score
You won't get HD for $200, but there are lots of deals out there for surveillance systems around that price. I picked up a ZModo 16-channel with 8 cameras and added my own hard drive for under $300, it's pretty crappy but it's a lot better than nothing. The cameras were 600 lines and would be fine for views just to see the condition of the lot if you decide to go HD later.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Good gosh almighty Joe Friday. I can't spend $1100 + pay for installation. Even if installation was Free! I gotta find something $200 or less. Can you do that, & still get HD/1080P? I only need 4 cameras.
Haha. I guess I'm a bit sensitized to the prices as I'm looking at $3500-$8000 to upgrade my current analog system to an quality IP system with 16 cameras.

$200 or less?!? You'd be lucky to get a halfway decent still photography camera for that price. If your looking for a quality CCTV system with the ability to monitor remotely, and identify people committing malicious acts, you're going to need to up your budget, or lower your expectations.

Looks like there is a couple on Amazon in the $200-$250 price range that have decent reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-960H-...F8&qid=1448550958&sr=8-3&keywords=CCTV+system

http://www.amazon.com/Zmodo-PKD-DK4...F8&qid=1448550958&sr=8-4&keywords=CCTV+system

mrfixit

Reaction score
I just got a lorex system for a steal on sale from lorex directly.

16 - 720p HD cameras, night vision, ip66 rated, rated to -22°f, 90° field of view... A 2tb hdd, remote viewing. $$644 taxes & shipped! , gotta say I'm very happy with it so far, for the money I'm ecstatic.

1080 will cost almost 50% more.. 720p was a "sacrifice" I had to make for budget. But it is hd, and so much better than the old black and whites.

I researched a while to find this system has the best features for the money.

Use the discount code shown for a double discount! I did. right now thier black Friday sale takes an additional 25% off!! Its the steal of the year.. (I only got an additional 10% off last month)

This is a link to what I got,

https://www.lorextechnology.com/sit...ty-camera-system-with-16-cameras/prod340040.p

they also have a 16 cam 1080p 3tb system for 999. Right now.. Plus discount code.

https://www.lorextechnology.com/com...stem-with-16-high-definition-cameras-/LH366.p

They have 4 or 8 camera systems for cheap too!!!

Last edited:

mrfixit

Reaction score
720p lorex cam - cellphone picture of the monitor screen that's why you see the lines & grains. Its much clearer in person without the lines.

24" led flatscreen cost 150. Walmart has one for 109 right now. A 20" would be enough too.

Licence is pretty clear no problem seeing people faces or anything. (I obscured one number)

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
Thanks for advice MrFixIt. I went to Lorex, & saved a butt load of money!! Actually got 6 camera system, 1080P, for only $299!!! I knew if I was patient, I could get what I wanted/needed. I am excited to get this system in place. My system didn't even work when I bought. I just assumed they did.
Thanks guys...!

Last edited:

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
24" led flatscreen cost 150. Walmart has one for 109 right now. A 20" would be enough too.
FWIW for the 16 Cam HD systems I picked up some 32" 1080P TVs at Best Buy For $179. Missed the cutoff for the Thanksgiving 49" for $150 but I did pick up a couple of 40" for $159. I'll use the 40" for the 32 Cam Systems.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Thats impressive. Much better picture then I am getting with my Q-See system!!! I have been pretty happy with it until I saw this. Maybe time to look into another system. My Q-See is about 4 years old, 16 Cam system, could easily use another 16 Cameras.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Looking at the lorax site right now, you can get a 16 dome camera 1080p 3 TB HD system for $735 free shipping. Really tempting to purchase this!! I have had 2 damage claims that were approaching $75,000 in damage to my automatic Washworld HV. Thankfully Both vehicles were company vehicles that I could see who they were!! If not for that I couldnt read the tags on them, but I am thinking with a 1080p system I should be able to aim a camera right at a location to pickup a tag #?? I have cameras all over my autoteller area and entrance and also a camera in the auto bay. A bit clearer image would be nice.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Thanks for advice MrFixIt. I went to Lorex, & saved a butt load of money!! Actually got 6 camera system, 1080P, for only $299!!! I knew if I was patient, I could get what I wanted/needed. I am excited to get this system in place. My system didn't even work when I bought. I just assumed they did.
Thanks guys...!
Awesome sooner! Glad you scored and went with 6 instead of 4. There's so many uses for them... Get one in your auto and you can check it 24hrs a day!!

Only problem is I should have waited to get the 25% on black Friday! I could have got a 1080 system for only a hundred dollars more than I paid. Black Friday and cyber monday are thier biggest sales of the year!

Best deal out there. Swan and qsee are to me after all my research, much more money for less of everything. Not to knock you guys with these brands.. All depends what you need. Cabling can also be a deciding factor, most these are hd over bnc, but they have a utp option in the system, but think you still need baluns for cat 5.

Flir is a billion$ corporation with government and military contracts, so that is a deciding factor also.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Looking at the lorax site right now, you can get a 16 dome camera 1080p 3 TB HD system for $735 free shipping. Really tempting to purchase this!! I have had 2 damage claims that were approaching $75,000 in damage to my automatic Washworld HV. Thankfully Both vehicles were company vehicles that I could see who they were!! If not for that I couldnt read the tags on them, but I am thinking with a 1080p system I should be able to aim a camera right at a location to pickup a tag #?? I have cameras all over my autoteller area and entrance and also a camera in the auto bay. A bit clearer image would be nice.
That pic was only 720p!
No problem seeing the tag clearly anywhere in the mid ground of the shot.. Camera placement is key and setting the delay to zero.. The center of the shot is the most in focus on these so point accordingly.

1080 is twice as defined as mine. Also to note domes typically aren't as water resistant as bullets because water can get up top behind it and make its way in eventually. Just keep in mind mounting them.

Don't forget black25 code for an extra discount on those not on the super bf special. (Sounds like you got it)

Check this one, about same price after discount!
https://www.lorextechnology.com/com...tem-with-16-high-definition-cameras-/LH366.p#

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
Prez, what kind of damage claim do you have for $75k ? Was that against you, or claim against the customer?