What's new

Security Cameras advice

Randy

Reaction score
Are people still happy with their Lorex cameras?

Thinking of updating our system with a 4K from either Lorex or HIK Vision. The online reviews of cameras can make one throw up their hands in confusion (too many 5 star and 1 star reviews). I suspect that some of the extreme reviews are bogus from competitors but trying to navigate the brands and options.
I'd go with the Lorex system, you can't beat the picture quality. We very little or no stock in any online reviews or Yelp. 99.9% of the time there nothing more than bull $hit. We get bad reviews at the car wash from customers who have never been there or they do have a problem but won't call to get a refund.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Are people still happy with their Lorex cameras?
I got the lorex 14 camera system 2 or 3 years ago when a bunch of us bought them on black friday - Yes, I would buy it again.

Its not perfect, there are better systems out there but they cost a lot more -- given that I didnt want to spend any $ on cameras at all I am very happy with the price & quality.
Things I dont like:
- searching for a specific incident isnt hard to do, but it is a bit clunky and is not real fast.
- if what you are looking for is out of the focal zone it can be a bit blurry, I had to adjust the camera positioning a few times to optimize what I was capturing
- never enough cameras :)
- spider webs are a pita, they regularly obscure what I want to see.
- not enough storage space; I did add a second hard drive, it was extremely easy to do.

things I like:
- price times quality, IMO they are an excellent value.
- images are surprisingly clear. Local police told me they needed "bank quality video" or dont bother giving it to them. They are happy with the quality of my video.
- peace of mind knowing I have cameras, including their crime preventive features :)
- ability to check on the wash is really more valuable than I expected, it saves me a lot of trips.

Roz

Reaction score
I got the lorex 14 camera system 2 or 3 years ago when a bunch of us bought
- peace of mind knowing I have cameras, including their crime preventive features :)
- ability to check on the wash is really more valuable than I expected, it saves me a lot of trips.
Are your cameras the 4K IP version?

Did you just plug an extra HD into a USB port for the extra space or was it more involved to expand?

Thanks. Leaning toward purchasing a 16 camera version. Lorex Website is nice but not easy to see the differences and benefits of a dome vs bullet camera version.

Last edited:

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Are your cameras the 4K IP version?
No, 4k ip is better than what I have, mine are the 1080p.

Did you just plug an extra HD into a USB port for the extra space or was it more involved to expand?
Almost as easy as usb, but installed internally: Took the cover off the dvr, screwed the new hard drive into the dvr case, plugged the new hard drive in, replaced the cover, turned the unit back on.
I'm fairly sure I did not have to change any settings, but I think I did go in to the HDD settings (via the lorex settings menus) and format the new drive.
I got this WD purple drive via amazon: WD Purple 8TB Surveillance Hard Disk Drive - 5400 RPM Class SATA 6 Gb/s 128MB Cache 3.5 Inch - WD80PURZ
I had the necessary cable in my box of wires. (dont recall exactly which cable, but yes you'd need one.)

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW the cable for SATA drives is very common, easy to find, and cheap. That's all you'd need to ask for at an electronics store.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW the cable for SATA drives is very common, easy to find, and cheap. That's all you'd need to ask for at an electronics store.
First you have to find an "Electronics Store" they seem to have gone the way of Traveler's checks.

Overachiever

Reaction score
Anyone have luck rewiring the cable that is on the camera? I've had a few that have corroded and stopped working.

MEP001

Reaction score
First you have to find an "Electronics Store" they seem to have gone the way of Traveler's checks.
Best Buy seems to be the only one that's thriving. Good luck finding a Radio Shack though.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Hmmmm what a coincidence...my 16 channel 1080p Lorex system I bought a few years ago just up and died on me. All it does is power up and show me the logo screen.

I have 6 other locations all with various recorders that can either use HD-TVI or HD-AHD type cameras. None of them will work with the Lorex MPX cameras which I believe are HD-CVI which leaves me with the choice of either buying another Lorex system for considerably more money or scrapping the cameras and buying something compatible with all my other places. I think I have to scrap the Lorex cameras I have installed and standardize.

I have 5 brand new Lorex Model LEV2712b 1080p dome dome cameras, cables and pwr supplies for sale if anyone is interested. PM me for details.

br549ms

Reaction score
Hmmmm what a coincidence...my 16 channel 1080p Lorex system I bought a few years ago just up and died on me. All it does is power up and show me the logo screen.

I have 6 other locations all with various recorders that can either use HD-TVI or HD-AHD type cameras. None of them will work with the Lorex MPX cameras which I believe are HD-CVI which leaves me with the choice of either buying another Lorex system for considerably more money or scrapping the cameras and buying something compatible with all my other places. I think I have to scrap the Lorex cameras I have installed and standardize.

I have 5 brand new Lorex Model LEV2712b 1080p dome dome cameras, cables and pwr supplies for sale if anyone is interested. PM me for details.
Most "newer" systems are IP and the Lorex NVR (DVR) is capable of supporting several IP cameras, not all.

I am not saying the Lorex systems are better than any others, but I have had very few issues with ours.

I have internet remote access to the cameras live views and play back and can maintain recording up to 2 weeks with the Hard drives in my system.

With the 4k 8mp cameras we can see any damage to vehicles before they enter the wash.

We purchased the IP system, easy to install. Just like most control systems in industrial setting they are POE - power over Ethernet. You can use POE Ethernet switches to reduce wiring.

The number of cameras is limited by the NVR, so make sure the system you purchase will support the number of cameras you have now and plan to add later. I believe the lorex comes with 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64 camera capabilities.