What's new

Foam brush heads

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Retapped another one today to 3/4". I'm just using a 7/8 paddle bit and it seems to work fine. On the other three bays I did trim the rubber coating off the end of the FB handle and screwed them in deeper as suggested. I'll see if those hold up.

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Just wondering if those of you that switch to the nogs hair brushes are happy with their performance?

Roz

Reaction score
I started using these after reading a suggestion on here for them:

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-57842-tb-14x3cr-noghair-multi-level-wash-brush.aspx

Last longer than the Erie Hogs Hair and at 1/3 the price.
We tried these brushes too. Not nearly as nice a show (soap out of the head) for the customer as the traditional Hogs head brush probably due to the wider bristles. You also need to purchase (from KR) a $6 adaptor to make the Nog Hair brush work with the handle. The plastic aspect of the Nogs hair makes it challenging to create a locking connection to the handle. I used LockTight Red and customers still are able to unscrew the head from the handle in little time - and I do not think they are doing it intentionally just a poor locking connection. Maybe a different handle would make the head work better as the Nogs head is significantly less expensive.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I don't think it's an issue when on the car, but here's what foam looks like coming out of mine.

MEP001

Reaction score
We tried these brushes too. Not nearly as nice a show (soap out of the head) for the customer as the traditional Hogs head brush probably due to the wider bristles. You also need to purchase (from KR) a $6 adaptor to make the Nog Hair brush work with the handle. The plastic aspect of the Nogs hair makes it challenging to create a locking connection to the handle. I used LockTight Red and customers still are able to unscrew the head from the handle in little time - and I do not think they are doing it intentionally just a poor locking connection. Maybe a different handle would make the head work better as the Nogs head is significantly less expensive.
I finally got the adaptor to try with the one head I bought. LocTite won't work in plastic-to-metal. Rather than drill and tap the head I plan to drill and tap a hole for a screw to lock the threads into the head and partly into the adaptor, then cut the screw head off. I just have to pick up a #10-24 plug tap.

soapy

Reaction score
Very Happy with mine. I used the brass bushing method for attachment. I have not had one head loosen and I get great foam show like Greg's.

gshick

Reaction score
Erie hog's hair for us. What length do you guys buy? We bought the 4 1/2" and it being hogs hair seemed too flimsy to clean very well. When new the hair is so long it just folds over. Next time we might try 4".
We have been buying the 4 and 1/2 inch Erie Hogs hair heads for about 20 years and lately have noticed they have not held up nearly as well. The bristles are starting to get twisted and knotted close to the bumper. I'm literally having to take a wide comb and brush out the knots or else they will just continue to twist up. Anybody else had this problem? Thinking about switching to the 4-inch version.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We have been buying the 4 and 1/2 inch Erie Hogs hair heads for about 20 years and lately have noticed they have not held up nearly as well. The bristles are starting to get twisted and knotted close to the bumper. I'm literally having to take a wide comb and brush out the knots or else they will just continue to twist up. Anybody else had this problem? Thinking about switching to the 4-inch version.
No issues here. I would think the slippery soap would minimize this. Anything change with your soap?

soapy

Reaction score
People using the brush without the foam turned on. I see more and more people dry scrubbing cars.

soapy

Reaction score
I see Erie now makes a metal head synthetic brush bristle like a Noghair for around $25. I am going to try some of them. I have been happy with the Noghair but have seen a couple of broken plastic head on them when people use them like hammers.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Soapy Is this the one you’re talking about?
I like the price.

Erie Brush 213801 FoamMaster Aluminum Head Synthetic Hog Hair Brush - Blue Gasket

Randy

Reaction score
For those of you who are using the "Nogs Hair" foam brush heads how are they holding up? Any issues with them?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Mine have smushed ( I checked, that's a word)somewhat and are due for a change in the busier bays. I feel their life was probably close to or longer than that of the Universal hogs hair. I'll try to get a picture. IMG_3129.jpg

copperglobe

Reaction score
Mine have "smushed" as well. They're still in use though as they still perform well. Lasted 6 months so far.

MEP001

Reaction score
I put one in about four months ago. It looks like Greg's, still works but smushed. The real hogs hair brush wouldn't have lasted any longer and costs three times as much, so I'd gladly use them again if regular nylon wasn't a better fit for my customers.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Im using noghair for over 5 mos. They're all smushed & spread out, not standing up at all. 2 customers have complained they ain't working as good, & they're correct. There's not enough cushion of bristles, between the head & paint. Ain't buying any more for the bays, but will use for prepping still

soapy

Reaction score
I am still waiting on the metal head Erie NOGshair brushes. I did get 4 more of the Nog hair brushes in from Kleenrite. 3 of the 4 had been used by someone who had stripped the threads and some of the bristles were smooshed so they had been used a while. KR said they must have come from the MFG. that way. Now all the hassle of sending them back etc.