What's new

Foam brush heads

slash007

Reaction score
Would be nice if I hadn't just bought a case of the expensive brushes. I guess next time. Or maybe I will send these back.

soapy

Reaction score
I ordered 8 of the Nogs hair brushes on special for $22.99. So far I am impressed with them. They feel as soft as hogs hair and are pretty dense and the plastic head is ver robust. They come threaded with broom type threads. Rather than get a adapter I am going to thread them with 3/4 inch pipe threads and then use a screw to lock them in place as mentioned. We will see how they do at a couple locations.

Randy

Reaction score
I am going to thread them with 3/4 inch pipe threads and then use a screw to lock them in place as mentioned. We will see how they do at a couple locations.
Soapy, your going to need to use a ½"-14 pipe tap.

soapy

Reaction score
Randy, I thought about doing the 1/2 inch thread but found that the brush head has a tapered opening then broom type threads deeper in the brush head. It looked to me that I would actually be threading the broom threads and not get a full bite on the threads. The largest portion of the opening is just the right size for a 59/64 drill bit followed by the 3/4 tap. This gave me a good solid and deep thread base. I will use a 3/4 to 1/2 bushing held in with thread locker then a regular 1/2 inch foam brush handle. This seemed to be a much stronger setup IMO. I will post a picture tomorrow.

Randy

Reaction score
Randy, I thought about doing the 1/2 inch thread but found that the brush head has a tapered opening then broom type threads deeper in the brush head. It looked to me that I would actually be threading the broom threads and not get a full bite on the threads. The largest portion of the opening is just the right size for a 59/64 drill bit followed by the 3/4 tap. This gave me a good solid and deep thread base. I will use a 3/4 to 1/2 bushing held in with thread locker then a regular 1/2 inch foam brush handle. This seemed to be a much stronger setup IMO. I will post a picture tomorrow.
Soapy, that should work fine. I was kind of thinking about doing what you are doing, a 3/4" x 1/2" brass bushing should work fine. Not a real time consuming or expensive project. The problem I have with my foam brush handles is they have been installed so long that they are seized into the foam brush head.

MEP001

Reaction score
It is expensive compared to Kleen-Rite, and it is definitely the same supplier. They contacted me too, said the bristles come from the exact same hogs as Erie brushes. That would be great as long as the bristles don't fall out like they do with Universal's hogs hair brushes.

OurTown

Reaction score
Which brush heads are you guys referring to at Kleen-Rite that are cheaper than $45 for a 4.5" long hog's hair cast aluminum head?

soapy

Reaction score
Here are a couple of the Nogs hair brushes. ON the left is one tapped with the standard 1/2 threads and the right one has the 3/4 to 1/2 inch bushing. Both should work but I think the bushing will make it a bit stronger IMO. I also threw a nylon and hogs hair standard brush in the picture for reference. There is a rubber washer in the Nogs brush that you will probably want to remove before tapping. The nogs brush does have a channel molded into it so the foam will be distributed all over the brush.

MEP001

Reaction score
Which brush heads are you guys referring to at Kleen-Rite that are cheaper than $45 for a 4.5" long hog's hair cast aluminum head?
They used to carry them, but I can't find them on their site anymore. IIRC they were closer to $40.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
You're right. I noticed that too, and I drill a little deeper(maybe 1/4"?) into the head of the brush and tap the 1/2" NPT threads. Haven't had an issue.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Soapy, Did you pin the 3/4 to 1/2 threaded bushing to keep it from backing out?

soapy

Reaction score
No, I used thread locker between the brass and plastic head then I use Teflon tape between handle and brass bushing. It is a good idea to drill out mounting point to the foam channel molded in the brush head if you go 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch threads.

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Soapy, I will be very interested in hearing your reviews on nogs hair brushes. looks visually very good.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Do the new Noghair use a lot more foam, in SS Bays? If so, is it wasting too much product, or not?