What's new

Foam brush heads

soapy

Reaction score
You could use the adaptor but then I think you would be more susceptible to having them stolen since any broom handle would work.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Why dont they just make these nogs hair brushes so they thread onto our foamy brush handles? When you guys talk about drilling and tapping and bushing i get a headache!

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I use the ROUND hog's hair brush from Universal and replace the whole thing. At my car wash, customers prefer the ROUND over the RECTANGLE, as it gets into car wheel wells easier. I worked with National Pride to create custom signs, to educate my customers that I provide "hogs-hair bristle brushes that GENTLY clean your vehicle". I've read a few recent articles that say that hogs-hair brushes cost more, but last longer. I have a high-quality car wash and cater to customers that have luxury and custom cars. The few extra bucks I pay for hogs-hair is worth every penny, because I don't have to worry about the nylon scratching their paint. Customers appreciate quality, and the brushes last longer than nylon.

soapy

Reaction score
I have been using Hog hair for 25 years. You can not tell the difference between Hogs or Nogs hair side by side, both are soft. The only way I can tell between them is that NOgs hair melts like plastic if I get my branding iron too close and hogs hair stinks when this happens. The head on the nogs hair is slightly shorter but the overall coverage is wider since the bristles also stick out and offer better coverage. Nogs hair so far is impressive to me. FOam is distributed better IMO with them. The true test is how long they last. Others who have used them claim they last longer than hogs hair but if they simply last as long it will be a huge savings.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, trying these at a new location. Previous owner was using nylon, so I figure these have to be an upgrade. I used them on my own vehicle and the experience was pretty close to hogs hair.

We tapped these at 1/2 and have already had one fail. I didn't have the bit soapy suggested so I used a 7/8" spade/paddle bit and it seemed to work fine. I used a schedule 80 reducing bushing which are just a couple of bucks from zoro and used leak lock pipe compound that Randy reccomended a while back. Everything I read about leak lock suggests that it sets up and makes fittings hard to remove. We shall see....

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Well, trying these at a new location. Previous owner was using nylon, so I figure these have to be an upgrade. I used them on my own vehicle and the experience was pretty close to hogs hair.

We tapped these at 1/2 and have already had one fail. I didn't have the bit soapy suggested so I used a 7/8" spade/paddle bit and it seemed to work fine. I used a schedule 80 reducing bushing which are just a couple of bucks from zoro and used leak lock pipe compound that Randy reccomended a while back. Everything I read about leak lock suggests that it sets up and makes fittings hard to remove. We shall see....

I drilled about 1/8" - 1/4" deeper into my heads and tapped them all the way down. I trimmed back some of the plastic/rubber protective covering from the FB handle so as I can fully thread the head.

No problems here and all are 12+ months and looking good.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I drilled about 1/8" - 1/4" deeper into my heads and tapped them all the way down. I trimmed back some of the plastic/rubber protective covering from the FB handle so as I can fully thread the head.

I could see that working better. I instructed my brother/helper to do it, and didn't give specific instructions. My backordered adapters are on the way, but they're a little late to do me any good now.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I agree Waxman. I've got better things to do. I wonder if these big spenders picked through the vac dirt to get the money for these...:D
Meh. It takes me all of 10 minutes or less to tap 4 brush heads. I save $140-$160 over an Erie hogs hair brushes and I get a better performing brush that lasts longer. YMMV

soapy

Reaction score
MY new NOgs hair have been through the last 3 weeks of pretty heavy use due to the people who only wash their vehicles after a long winter. They have to come in and really scrub to get all the salt and film off their vehicles and all the crap out of the back of their pickups and trailers. No problems at all with the NOgs using the tap and bushing method. If you are doing either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch with bushing I would suggest drilling out the hole with a slightly smaller bit down to the foam channel and then tap the threads in so you get full length threads.

MEP001

Reaction score
Has anyone tried these with the brass adaptor? I assume these brush heads are set up to flow foam without all the drilling and tapping.

soapy

Reaction score
For what you save on 1 brush head you can easily buy the tap and drill bit, Very simple job to do.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Am I the only one using the FO198PH brush heads? All this drilling and tapping? We get about a year out of them and when they wear out we just replace the whole thing. We used to just do the brush itself, but getting to the screws once rusted was a pia, so we just replace as needed. Have had no issues in 15 years with these.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Am I the only one using the FO198PH brush heads? All this drilling and tapping? We get about a year out of them and when they wear out we just replace the whole thing. We used to just do the brush itself, but getting to the screws once rusted was a pia, so we just replace as needed. Have had no issues in 15 years with these.
That's the brush heads I've always used. I've heard compaaining about short life out of them from others here, but I don't really have complaints. I'm trying these new ones at a gated wash. Operating a gated POP wash is kind of a different philosophy than I'm used, and durability of equipment is more of a consideration. So far I've been pleased with the nogshair

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Those or similar metal head Hogshair is what I've used since buying the wash. But to save $25-$30 each just by taking 5 minutes to drill & tap the Nogshair, I'm all onboard!

OurTown

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
I tried the Universal hogs hair once years ago. Had been using the Erie which lasted a good six months. The Universal lasted about a month, and maybe 1/4 of the bristles fell out in just the first few days. Two of them had the metal nut pull out of the plastic head. Like I said it was years ago and maybe they've improved, but I don't plan on trying them again.