What's new

Who’s installing Ceramic Coatings?

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
What is the primary difference between a ceramic and a high quality synthetic sealant?
A real coating is applied as a liquid and turns into a solid when cured.

If a product doesn’t do that, it’s not a real coating. Watch out for all the hyped spray coatings on the market. Especially the ones in this thread. They’re tricking the public into think they’re coatings (from their use of the term coating), but are nothing more than a spray sealant.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I
I have a professional ceramic coating on my sports car.

I bought a bottle of the Mother's CMX from WalMart that Soapy mentioned. Wow. Quite impressed with the gloss and the hydrophobic quality.

I then bought a bottle of the Turtle Wax spray-on version after watching this video. Quite amazed at the gloss for something that costs $6.

Really liked this comparison. But i have to ask, "where on Earth did you find that Turtle Wax for $6"?!!! Cheapest I've found is $10

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm planning to add Mothers CMX ceramic sealer to my detail packages for $30. I know it's not as durable as a ceramic coating, but I want to experiment at this price point as a 'buy up' on detail services with a simple process to see if it is effective and well-received by the customer. My wash is in a low-mid income area, so I need to keep prices affordable, IMO.

washnshine

Reaction score
I'm planning to add Mothers CMX ceramic sealer to my detail packages for $30. I know it's not as durable as a ceramic coating, but I want to experiment at this price point as a 'buy up' on detail services with a simple process to see if it is effective and well-received by the customer. My wash is in a low-mid income area, so I need to keep prices affordable, IMO.
I think that is smart waxman. You are offering an upsell that adds value and is at a price point for wide customer appeal. When things are priced appropriately, people understand the level of service they are getting. In other words - a $30 vs. $300 service will not be perceived as the same thing. And if you will make more selling the $30 service- that is a good move.

jasonHTCW

Reaction score
Just like the title say. The wave is here. Who’s riding it and who’s sitting on the beach? Great source of income. Somewhat easy to install. Exclusiveness from immediate competitors.

We use Optimum & SB3 Coatings.
We currently use the Armor All ceramic and getting rave reviews. I think last month we sold around 400 Ceramic add-ons. Charge $5 per treatment but considering a top package inclusion.

soapy

Reaction score
As a follow up to the Simoniz Diamond glaze ceramic I hand installed 18 months ago I can say it is still looking great and beading up even the presoak that I use in MY IBAs. I took a 1200 mile road trip in the car last week and ran it through my touchless when I got back and it is still doing the job. This is not the type that is applied in a car wash but rather the more detailer oriented application.

washnshine

Reaction score
As a follow up to the Simoniz Diamond glaze ceramic I hand installed 18 months ago I can say it is still looking great and beading up even the presoak that I use in MY IBAs. I took a 1200 mile road trip in the car last week and ran it through my touchless when I got back and it is still doing the job. This is not the type that is applied in a car wash but rather the more detailer oriented application.
Good to hear. The nice thing about the car wash applied product is that you can achieve longevity if the customer purchases the service every month or so. I know it’s still not like the detailer applied product, but you can still keep that slick and smooth feel on a regular basis.

washnshine

Reaction score
We currently use the Armor All ceramic and getting rave reviews. I think last month we sold around 400 Ceramic add-ons. Charge $5 per treatment but considering a top package inclusion.

Are you layering it on after their wax and rain x too in your top package? I find these products can stand alone even if you don’t. But you need multiple products to drive that top package.

jasonHTCW

Reaction score
Are you layering it on after their wax and rain x too in your top package? I find these products can stand alone even if you don’t. But you need multiple products to drive that top package.
we are layering on the rainX and the Extreme shine. my preference for when I run my personal vehicle is a basic wash ($7) and the ceramic ($5) Comes out looking showroom clean and shiny. The ceramic on the glass works like RainX to me.

washnshine

Reaction score
we are layering on the rainX and the Extreme shine. my preference for when I run my personal vehicle is a basic wash ($7) and the ceramic ($5) Comes out looking showroom clean and shiny. The ceramic on the glass works like RainX to me.
I find the same with my chemicals. I don’t need the wax and rain repellent products when I use the ceramic. (I use a different brand than you , but the same idea). A wash and ceramic sealant does the trick.

That is why I don’t want to sell the ceramic as an add-on to any package. I think, like you said, the basic + ceramic would do it for most customers if they tried it and saw the results, but then that doesn’t get me to my top package price. So I only offer it in my top package.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
Of the people who are using the ceramic in a touchless, any clear favorite? Or are all of them working well?

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
I think all the major brands have it figured out. Lots of good products

Of the people who are using the ceramic in a touchless, any clear favorite? Or are all of them working well?
out there. I use quest.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but please do the industry (detailing & car wash) a favor and stop marketing and/or selling these products as ceramic coatings. It’s doing nothing but diluting the integrity of rear ceramic coatings and tricking your customers into something you’re really not giving them. These products are the furthest thing from a ceramic coating.

washnshine

Reaction score
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but please do the industry (detailing & car wash) a favor and stop marketing and/or selling these products as ceramic coatings. It’s doing nothing but diluting the integrity of rear ceramic coatings and tricking your customers into something you’re really not giving them. These products are the furthest thing from a ceramic coating.
The industry has marketed “wax, hot wax, polish wax, sealer wax” etc. in car washes for many decades since the 1950’s. These products are and always have been widely advertised and understood to be quick, short term finish enhancers and took there names from the hand applied detail shop services of the time. They are priced that way too - generally a few dollars, compared to the $75 or $100 and up these services would cost in a detail shop.

The current ”ceramics” are just the latest trend in terminology that is in alignment with the automobile finish industry that the car washes have latched onto - as they have for decades. I do not feel as though I am tricking customers with the terminology or names. Many of the merchandising materials for the car wash products advertise “two week” or “up to 30 days” of protection, whereas the detail shops that charge hundreds for these coatings advertise “two years of protection ” or “ never wax your car again”.
The claims are very different and the pricing and descriptions reflect their differences.

When I buy a hamburger that is 100% beef, I know I am still not getting a filet mignon - even though it is still all beef. And the price reflects that too!

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
The industry has marketed “wax, hot wax, polish wax, sealer wax” etc. in car washes for many decades since the 1950’s. These products are and always have been widely advertised and understood to be quick, short term finish enhancers and took there names from the hand applied detail shop services of the time. They are priced that way too - generally a few dollars, compared to the $75 or $100 and up these services would cost in a detail shop.

The current ”ceramics” are just the latest trend in terminology that is in alignment with the automobile finish industry that the car washes have latched onto - as they have for decades. I do not feel as though I am tricking customers with the terminology or names. Many of the merchandising materials for the car wash products advertise “two week” or “up to 30 days” of protection, whereas the detail shops that charge hundreds for these coatings advertise “two years of protection ” or “ never wax your car again”.
The claims are very different and the pricing and descriptions reflect their differences.

When I buy a hamburger that is 100% beef, I know I am still not getting a filet mignon - even though it is still all beef. And the price reflects that too!

Oh ok, as long as the car wash industry has been profiting by perpetrating mistruths for decades it gives them a continuous pass to keep doing it. Sounds about right.

washnshine

Reaction score
Oh ok, as long as the car wash industry has been profiting by perpetrating mistruths for decades it gives them a continuous pass to keep doing it. Sounds about right.
No, not quite - read it more carefully. As I stated before, providing truthful, credible and appropriately described and priced services. No mistruths, rather a clear and accurate description of the service. Yes, that does sound about right, it is called running a service-based business and clearly defining and delivering said services for the advertised fee.

Last edited:

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
No, not quite - read it more carefully. As I stated before, providing truthful, credible and appropriately described and priced services. No mistruths, rather a clear and accurate description of the service. Yes, that does sound about right, it is called running a service-based business and clearly defining and delivering said services for the advertised fee.
There’s nothing truthful about it imho. In fact, if the car wash industry continues to push this service I think it will further diminish its credibility by confusing the public. Such a disconnect having the front-end car wash selling a $5 “coating” through the wash lane that the back-end detail shop also tries selling one for $300. Bottom line, it’s NOT a ceramic coating in any way, shape or form. It’s simply playing off of the recognition that the detail industry has built by whoring out the word & concept. Just because the selling price and longevity is a minute fraction of what a real ceramic costs/lasts doesn’t validate the use of the concept incorrectly.