What's new

Who’s installing Ceramic Coatings?

Pro-Techt

Reaction score
Just like the title say. The wave is here. Who’s riding it and who’s sitting on the beach? Great source of income. Somewhat easy to install. Exclusiveness from immediate competitors.

We use Optimum & SB3 Coatings.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is the cost of these? One customer told me he paid $1000 for his Audi to be coated.

I am skeptical and wonder about 'fine print' of any expressed warranty claims.

The revenue sounds nice.

soapy

Reaction score
I don't have a detail shop anymore but I do keep up with trends. One thing I have read about ceramics is that they are good for chemicals with PH between 2 to 11. I have seen many high PH Presoaks applied over 11 PH. I wonder if this would cause early failure of the ceramic coating?

DPX22

Reaction score
I think Simoniz offers a ceramic product and also warranties the paint directly through Simoniz after applied at any authorized detailing shop. I'm still on the fence to go through the training and have a bay taken up just for this product, but for areas where the average HH income is healthy and luxury cars are plenty, it would be an easy decision.

Just have to monitor how long it takes vs. scheduling an interior/exterior detail and revenue costs for that garage spot.

soapy

Reaction score
People are paying between $1000 to $2000 for a ceramic coating including buffing. The actual application of the ceramic is really pretty easy. I have a simoniz kit i plan to apply to my Hellcat. Kit was $80. I picked up some mothers CDX ceramic and allied it to a work truck. Very easy application and very surprised how much it shines and beads water. $12 for it and should do several cars. I think ceramic coatings will.be the only way to go in the future.

Bandit

Reaction score
People are paying between $1000 to $2000 for a ceramic coating including buffing. The actual application of the ceramic is really pretty easy. I have a simoniz kit i plan to apply to my Hellcat. Kit was $80. I picked up some mothers CDX ceramic and allied it to a work truck. Very easy application and very surprised how much it shines and beads water. $12 for it and should do several cars. I think ceramic coatings will.be the only way to go in the future.
Is mother wax any good

soapy

Reaction score
The Mothers CMX is better than a regular wax but I consider it ceramic light compared to others.

soapy

Reaction score
Here is my Challenger with the Simoniz ceramic coating applied. After car was cleaned, clay bar, and light polish. Application took less than 1 hour and I only ended up using 1 oz. of the 2 they send in the kit. 2 year guarantee by Simoniz. In person you can tell it has more shine than even the best hand wax. Many other brands of ceramics available, this type of job goes for a minimum of $500 and more if additional polishing is required. IMG_1333.JPG

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Let us know how durable it is soapy. Ive found a couple of standard sealants that are pretty resistant to some pretty harsh touch free chemistry. Coatings have been presented by a lot of detailers as the ultimate in durability but then they tell you it has to be washed by hand. Just doesnt seem practical for a daily driver.

soapy

Reaction score
Greg, I used the Mother CMX on my work truck about 3 months ago. It gets washed a lot in my touchfree washes when I am trouble shooting them. So far it still beads the water great after each wash cycle before any wax application by the automatics. In a good rain storm it pretty much washes itself. I am sure the simoniz diamond glaze I used on my car will last even longer than the Mothers CMX. Both products have impressed me. I even use in on my SXS now and it makes them easier to clean. The ceramic are standing up to my High PH washes.

washnshine

Reaction score
What is the primary difference between a ceramic and a high quality synthetic sealant?

Is it the durability/ longevity?

I always heard that the pure waxes lasted the shortest amount of time. Then synthetic sealants extended that time. Is ceramic the next generation and level of durability and protection?

I would imagine any final layer will only look as good as the polish/correction that is done before, but if truly has extended durability, that is certainly a plus.

If you are going strictly on beading, an automatic wash with a t.v.p. or super sealer/Carnauba wax will go a long way on preserving whatever protection is applied. I have not wax/sealed my daily driver by hand in 2 years but water still rolls of it like the day I did. It’s cleaned regularly and gets a carnauba and t.v.p. treatment with every wash.

soapy

Reaction score
I had a customer stop by who just spent $1200 per vehicle for 3 of his vehicles. My work truck with the CMX finally started to show a little lack of beading like when it was first applied so I redid it last weekend. I always washed it without my Rain X or other wax application so I could see how it held up. Pretty good IMO. I usually use my Rain X package on other cars and they do not need waxed and bead very well without sealants etc. The shine was still very good when I reapplied it.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I have a professional ceramic coating on my sports car.

I bought a bottle of the Mother's CMX from WalMart that Soapy mentioned. Wow. Quite impressed with the gloss and the hydrophobic quality.

I then bought a bottle of the Turtle Wax spray-on version after watching this video. Quite amazed at the gloss for something that costs $6.

soapy

Reaction score
Good review. CMX should be allowed to cure for 24 hours according to instructions and you can get it for just over $11 per bottle from Kleenrite. The turtle wax looks very good. You tube has several tests on line that vary in who comes out on top but I think any of these are real good.

Last edited:

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Arch-applied ceramic sealants are the new hot thing in tunnels for EE model. I kinda question the wisdom of applying a chemical that keeps customer's car shiny and cleaner for longer periods of time. Customers won't nee to wash their car as frequently.

washnshine

Reaction score
Arch-applied ceramic sealants are the new hot thing in tunnels for EE model. I kinda question the wisdom of applying a chemical that keeps customer's car shiny and cleaner for longer periods of time. Customers won't nee to wash their car as frequently.
Which chemicals out there are arch applied ceramic sealants? I’d like to give one a try.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Simonize, Blair, and I believe Clean Touch (Macneil) all have ceramic offerings applied via arch. Plus some other smaller chem companies offer it also.

washnshine

Reaction score
Simonize, Blair, and I believe Clean Touch (Macneil) all have ceramic offerings applied via arch. Plus some other smaller chem companies offer it also.
I get my Simoniz stuff (hot wax) through Kleen Rite but have not seen it there. Do you know the name of it?

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I believe it's just called Simoniz ceramic sealant. KR might not carry their complete line.