What's new

Security Cameras advice

Etowah

sparkey

Reaction score
I use super circuits for all of my equipment Alibi cameras and NVR www.supercircuits.com
WOW, I checked out the prices on this website. Very reasonable. Is this stuff any good? Have you been running it a while. I am looking for something that can record 16 channels at 30fps (real time) at 1080p and they appear to have systems at $500 - $700 that can do it.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Lol!

Another possible installation snafu. :)

I need to move one of mine in the auto Bay. If the camera is titled down too much with direct water spray a drop hangs on the lense and distorts part of it for a while. I have it pointed down at the side of the car for QA of product application. . The other one at the back of the bay over the undercarriage, that is more straight up stays clear cause the water runs off better. Im thinking about installing one on the gantry itself.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We have some new 4 and 5 megapixel IP cameras that we run on Blue Iris Software. Just a heads up to anybody leaning towards the IP Ultra HD POE route: We were lucky that we already had a couple of gigabyte switches so we could route our Cat 6 wire through them avoiding the 100 megabyte switches on the way to the Dell SonicWall Router. At first our routing of the Cat 6 yielded horrific dropped frames etc.! Now if i can just find the time to figure out the audio option on two of the cameras a bit better ... for our smartphones & for recording etc. If anyone has more experience with Blue Iris Software approach than me ... please feel free to share ... it could be helpful to compare notes.

mike walsh www.kingkoin.com

pgrzes

Reaction score
Well I just got 3 of the 16 cameras up today and I must say I am very impressed with the picture clarity. I dont know if the fact it was dusk once I got them working was a factor or not but I am able to get a clear shot of tags with each of the 3 I have running. Now I just have to figure out how to use everything. They are totally different then the QSee system I put up 3 years ago. Well I have 13 to go. I will have 2 cameras at both sides of each of my 7 bays so I can get a tag no matter which way they come n go. And I will put the other two at the entrance of my auto. I ran a 3" pvc drain pipe down the runs of both ends of bays with a t in the centers of each bay and got a 3'cap that the dome cameras fit perfectly onto. The 3' tubes will be big enough for all the wires that will end up in the main area of the building. I will try to post a few pics once finished if I can figure out how to post on here!!

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
When this thread started two years ago several people were purchasing Lorex systems. Are you still happy with them? They have their Black Friday sale started now and this system looks like a value at $549. LX1080-166BW I don't want bells and whistles but I would pay more if something else has better quality.

TIA

Keith

sparkey

Reaction score
When this thread started I endorsed supercircuits DVR's and their alibi cameras. Well...The supercircuits DVR isn't bad but the alibi cameras are total junk. I purchased 16 cameras and returned 5 of them in the first few months. I have had issues with almost every camera and have very few left.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Go with a system that is an ip camera system. I have one of lorex's 1080p and a 2k ip system. I would highly advise against the 1080p system. The 2k ip system is easier to install(all cat 5) no power plugs and much easier to setup. Get a bigger system than you think you need. You will always find more places to add cameras. Both Lorex and Qsee have some pretty aggressive deals for Black Friday every year.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm still happy with my lorex system, given that I needed an inexpensive out-of--the-box solution. I get good quality images that the police have no problem using.
I'd re-do the research if I were buying today though, things may have changed.

A couple things that are I'd change on my lorex system if I could:
- storage, there isnt enough. I only get a few days worth of recording, and apparently that is not upgradable. That is probably the one thing that will get me to replace this system in another year or 2, at which point I'll go with an IP system that can push my recordings up to one of my offsite servers.
- The user interface for changing settings, saving footage, etc, is sufficient, but not super convenient.
- Motion detection: I'm pretty sure its just me being dense, but I struggle with getting that feature to do what I want.
- an automatic spiderweb removal feature would be the bomb

I did have 2 cameras that failed within the first month, they were quickly replaced under warranty.
I also had 1 camera that failed 2 weeks ago, I have not had time to look at it yet. Hopefully just a loose wire, idk.

Overachiever

Reaction score
- storage, there isnt enough. I only get a few days worth of recording, and apparently that is not upgradable. That is probably the one thing that will get me to replace this system in another year or 2, at which point I'll go with an IP system that can push my recordings up to one of my offsite servers.
I was able to add an 8TB hard drive to mine, 10 TB total now (including the drive that came with it) and I get a couple months worth of storage. When I opened up the DVR there was a spot for mounting an additional hard drive in there.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
When it comes to getting water on the lens of the camera either in the self serve or automatics what do you use?, I have been using RainX 2 in 1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repentant is there a better product?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
When this thread started two years ago several people were purchasing Lorex systems. Are you still happy with them? They have their Black Friday sale started now and this system looks like a value at $549. LX1080-166BW I don't want bells and whistles but I would pay more if something else has better quality.

TIA

Keith
Keith,

I am also keeping my eyes peeled for leads on the best way when it comes to the updating of my cameras Black Friday deals or not.

Over on the CLA laundry forum with the #6 & #8 post within the thread ... I found some interesting info on hybrid (IP & Coax) in one NVR: This might be an alternative way &/or an alternative brand. http://www.coinlaundry.org/openforu...7-423e-8e4f-20e8bb27defa&tab=digestviewer#bm5

Mike

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
When it comes to getting water on the lens of the camera either in the self serve or automatics what do you use?, I have been using RainX 2 in 1 Glass Cleaner and Rain Repentant is there a better product?

I clean my automatic lenses with a dab of Rhino Brite XF on a microfiber every few weeks followed with a good fresh water rinse. I like the rainex idea as a protectant.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I always heard people say that a good camera system will pay for itself. I always took it for just talk. I purchased three of these systems for three different washes during the deal a couple years ago and sure enough each one has paid for itself by collecting damages and restitution. Even caught an armed robber that had hit one wash three times in one week. Not only did the cams show the cops a good pic of the guy, it showed them exactly where his fingerprints would be on his victims car.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
When this thread started I endorsed supercircuits DVR's and their alibi cameras. Well...The supercircuits DVR isn't bad but the alibi cameras are total junk. I purchased 16 cameras and returned 5 of them in the first few months. I have had issues with almost every camera and have very few left.
Thanks Sparky. That is what I'm trying to avoid. I don't need a high end system, but I don't mind paying more for something that will hold up for a while.

washallday

Reaction score
I had a 10 year old system, some cameras were that old others were 3 years old. I ran the cable myself back then. I just got a Magic HD system that allowed me to use the same cable the same 10 year old cameras along with the 3 year old cameras and I can use HD if i want to. I took out the old system and plugged in my old cables to the new Magic and I was up and running. The Magic DVR adjusts to the type of camera and no programming is needed to get the cameras to work. Because I am not to good with computers I had someone do the pass word stuff and hooking my phone up to it. After seeing it done I could have done it myself but would have taken me 3 times as long.

br549ms

Reaction score
we also have Lorex system, just upgraded to the 4K cameras at entry and exit for vehicle inspection. WOW! Cost of cameras and systems are very low if you can do yourself or have a good tech available it will pay for itself hundereds of times over.

Had a customer last week said we damaged his car and scratched it up, I said we would look at cameras and he immediately said "you have cameras? never mind" they are everywhere.

Roz

Reaction score
Are people still happy with their Lorex cameras?

Thinking of updating our system with a 4K from either Lorex or HIK Vision. The online reviews of cameras can make one throw up their hands in confusion (too many 5 star and 1 star reviews). I suspect that some of the extreme reviews are bogus from competitors but trying to navigate the brands and options.