What's new

What DVR set up to buy?

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Maybe somebody else can chime in. I don't know what the 960H means....

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
When I Googled it.

960H is a new standard for security cameras and security DVR's that provides high resolution images using advanced image sensors. Security cameras capable of 960H produce an image that is 960 horizontal and 480 vertical pixels large (960x480).

Higher Resolution Recording: Security cameras and DVR's capable of recording at this resolution provide superior images that are 34% larger than D1 and more than 500% larger than CIF.

Allensp

Reaction score
My name is Allen Spears. I have owned car washes for 26+ years and have been visiting this forum since about 97 or so. I am also the Chief Engineer at CarWashCameras.com. I haven't posted in a long time, but I read some of the topics from time to time.
Please keep in mind when purchasing a DVR, that you definitely get what you pay for. What you do not usually get when you buy a system from a reseller, is support. Good support is more valuable than the hardware.
Here are some things to consider if you are only looking at price (please look at specs too!):

- Tech Support will be needed when it comes time to get your DVR on the Internet and to set up viewing on your phone/iPad.
- Someone knowledgeable enough to log into your DVr and run Diagnostics, or simply to help you get the settings optimized, get motion detection and Resolution optimized, etc.
- Someone to provide regular firmware updates and feature additions.
- Remote viewing software updates and security vulnerability patches.
- A place to send the DVR to if it should need repairs or Warranty work.

Support is key. If you have good support, then in my opinion, you can buy just about any brand and be happy with it. But be sure and check the specs before you buy. Many of the DVR's out there will only record at 320 x 240 Rez, or will only record a few frames per second at higher Rez settings.

Hope this helps. Questions welcomed.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I thought night owl had good support and answered the phone..... also my question. So I guess even the cheapest ones have support now?

BTW I don't shop at Publics so I don't like paying for support.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Wow Allen, I thought you had fallen off the edge of the earth. I remember you posted a lot back in the old days. Don't be such a stranger.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Welcome back Allen,

Can you share a bit of your expertise when it comes to IP cameras? A lot of times when the newer technology comes along we fall for it a bit too quickly... maybe you can set us straight on some of the considerations. It seems like they are not as costly as they used to be & they might have some advantages for some of us. I did not see much on your website about them but that does not mean that you are not knowledgeable about them. My internet provider allows me to use some static IP addresses so I am thinking that could be helpful with the use of IP cameras. Cameras have sure come a long ways since we put in our first system way back in 1982 with 4 Cameras & a commercial grade VHS with a local audio visual company that happened to be about 2 city blocks from us at the time.

To be able to automate the positioning & recording of a really good PTZ IP camera does seem like it could be worthwhile.

Mike Walsh www.kingkoin.com

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
IP cameras have nothing to do with static ip addresses. Ip cameras are the type to technology used. Plus there are services to not use a stitic ip address. I wouldn't purchase one? I don't think viewing cameras remotely is mission critical?

Try supercircuits.com they have been recommend multiple times.

MEP001

Reaction score
Right, IP cameras just run the video through an ethernet cable/switch instead of an individual analog cable for each camera straight to the DVR, and send a higher resolution, digital image.

There's no sense in automating a PTZ camera when the sole purpose is to control it remotely.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Hi Allen, I have one of your Vertec DVRs now still working it's about 6 years old, I'm looking to replace it so I can access the cameras from my I-Phone. Can you tell me the difference in your DVR compared to say this DVR.. http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-Channel-...389251-6601428 I'm guessing the quality of your DVR is better and that is why it is prices a bit higher?
Thanks for any information!

My name is Allen Spears. I have owned car washes for 26+ years and have been visiting this forum since about 97 or so. I am also the Chief Engineer at CarWashCameras.com. I haven't posted in a long time, but I read some of the topics from time to time.
Please keep in mind when purchasing a DVR, that you definitely get what you pay for. What you do not usually get when you buy a system from a reseller, is support. Good support is more valuable than the hardware.
Here are some things to consider if you are only looking at price (please look at specs too!):

- Tech Support will be needed when it comes time to get your DVR on the Internet and to set up viewing on your phone/iPad.
- Someone knowledgeable enough to log into your DVr and run Diagnostics, or simply to help you get the settings optimized, get motion detection and Resolution optimized, etc.
- Someone to provide regular firmware updates and feature additions.
- Remote viewing software updates and security vulnerability patches.
- A place to send the DVR to if it should need repairs or Warranty work.

Support is key. If you have good support, then in my opinion, you can buy just about any brand and be happy with it. But be sure and check the specs before you buy. Many of the DVR's out there will only record at 320 x 240 Rez, or will only record a few frames per second at higher Rez settings.

Hope this helps. Questions welcomed.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
For a split second there, I thought your post was a spin-off from "O" Care! "If you like Your Old DVR, You can Keep Your Old DVR"!

Sorry, couldn't resist a little humor on this 0° morning!

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Other vendors sell different products..... But the slingbox is the most popular I believe. It basically allows remote viewing of your dvd player or any video broadcasting and also remote control access abilities. In theory you could remotely control your dvr from your phone and house using the device like you were holding the remote at the carwash. Or at least just get a video signal if your system doesn't have a remote.

Reds

Reaction score
How fast is the fast forward on the Qsee DVR? My current DVR is very slow and when I am searching for someone who did something it takes forever.