What's new

What DVR set up to buy?

dogwasher

Reaction score
Hey guys, What recorder would you recommend to replace a 16 camera system that I purchased 5 years ago from "car wash cameras"? I just need to replace the DVR. CWC wants $1400 to replace my existing Vetex unit, is this a good price or is there a similar system out there for less?
Thanks!

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have a QSee also no problems with it. Want to upgrade a few cameras.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I purchased a "night owl" DVR from Tiger Direct last week and its horrible (around $350 I believe) I guess you get what you pay for. Do you guys think I'm going to have to purchase another Vertex DVR for $1500 to get the quality I was used to?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Dogwasher
I have purchased night owl units before. Why do you say they are horrible? The specs wrong?

Maybe pm 2biz about his QSee dvr? I would probably look closer at QSee?

JFYI I purchased a night owl box from tiger direct also and the listing was pretty much false advertising.... Which I confirmed with night owl.

dogwasher

Reaction score
When I finished the set up I couldn't believe the difference..like night and day. Picture not clear or sharp. When you access threw internet its much worse. The frames move so slow/skip frames. Terrible

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
What model did you purchase? Are you using their cameras or yours previous cameras?

Mine worked mine but mine was sold as d1 and it was a cif.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I like having a DVD burner like this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...OR264_16X1_1T_ECOR264X1_Network_DVR_with.html

Q See used to haver it, but no longer.

If there is an issue it's simple and cheap to burn a couple DVDs. Cop[s luv it. Flash drives are still an expensive option to store in bulk. My latest workaround is to use y small digital camera to record the monitor playback and then copy that to the Computer sincee it's easy to play that way.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Can't argue with those points! :) My only problem with DVD drives were to keep them working. (My locations are not climate control.)

FWIW The unit you linked was just cif max per channel.

MEP001

Reaction score
Flash drives are still an expensive option to store in bulk. My latest workaround is to use y small digital camera to record the monitor playback and then copy that to the Computer sincee it's easy to play that way.
Thumb drives had come way down in price for a while - Sam's Club had a 4-pack for maybe $15. They're definitely much more expensive now, I'm assuming because they're faster and have more storage. It's hard to find one under $20.

Another option would be to keep a laptop with a built-in burner handy.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can't argue with those points! :) My only problem with DVD drives were to keep them working. (My locations are not climate control.)

FWIW The unit you linked was just cif max per channel.
My Q See drives seemed to work and if they stopped after a few years they were easy to replace.

What is " just cif max per channel"

jimbeaux

Reaction score
We have used Supercircuits for years. Great prices and lifetime support on your equipment.

dogwasher

Reaction score
When I finished the set up I couldn't believe the difference..like night and day. Picture not clear or sharp. When you access threw internet its much worse. The frames move so slow/skip frames. Terrible
I just viewed the post about the "Crap we deal with " and my new Night Owl looks nothing like that clip...no way near as clear or real time

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Dogwasher
I have purchased night owl units before. Why do you say they are horrible? The specs wrong?

Maybe pm 2biz about his QSee dvr? I would probably look closer at QSee?

JFYI I purchased a night owl box from tiger direct also and the listing was pretty much false advertising.... Which I confirmed with night owl.
I have the Qsee QT526 16 camera system which I purchased from Costco almost 3 years ago. It was the cheapest price I could find at the time online. $799 I believe. The DVR records at cif and D1 resolution...This model is hard to find...Although they have came out with new models since then. This one I just found has (16) 700 TVL cameras and records at D1 resolution...The thing I like about the new cameras, is they hide the wire inside the pivot and tubing so its not exposed. At D1 resolution, I can get plates easily as long as the plates are visible...The best camera in the world isn't going to give you plates if they are not there OR beat up tot he point you can't read them from 2 feet away...I like my system as it was reasonable and does the job for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-Channel...13X4FE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_3/176-5389251-6601428

washme1

Reaction score
I upgraded to a high definition DVR about a year ago. I don't have the brand and model handy right now. It is capable of running 2 HD cameras in addition to 14 regular cameras. It made a huge difference. I haven't missed a single plate passing the field of view, day or night. The DVR, HD camera, 3 additional regular cameras to supplement my other 11 and labor to install came to $1980. I'm not sure if all HD DVRs are this way but mine reguires very specific specs for the HD camera, only a few will work with it. I actually caught two idiots (meth heads) stealing the HD camera. They're both in jail. PM me if you want me to retrieve the make and model of DVR.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I have the Qsee QT526 16 camera system which I purchased from Costco almost 3 years ago. It was the cheapest price I could find at the time online. $799 I believe. The DVR records at cif and D1 resolution...This model is hard to find...Although they have came out with new models since then. This one I just found has (16) 700 TVL cameras and records at D1 resolution...The thing I like about the new cameras, is they hide the wire inside the pivot and tubing so its not exposed. At D1 resolution, I can get plates easily as long as the plates are visible...The best camera in the world isn't going to give you plates if they are not there OR beat up tot he point you can't read them from 2 feet away...I like my system as it was reasonable and does the job for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-Channel...13X4FE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_p_3/176-5389251-6601428
Thanks..how do you think the quality of this Qsee 32 cam would compare to your above 16 cam?
Item#: DG5-101777712 | Model#: QT5132-16G2-2 tiger direct

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
It has twice the capacity of the system I have. 32 camera capability (w/16 700tvl cameras) mine are 620 tvl. 2TB hard drive, mine is 1TB. With 16 cameras at D1 and motion detection, I get more than a month of recording before it loops. I would say you will get a bit better quality than mine since the cameras are higher resolution??? You just want to make sure you record at max resolution. Mine wasn't set for max resolution by default. The price seems good. I have bought many things from Tiger. Good place to buy from. Plus you don't have to buy a membership like you do @ Costco. Something that you really need to factor in when buying from them.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I notices the 16 cam you posted is 960H D1 ? and the 32 cam I found is the same price bet has a D1 (704x480 pixel resolution)?