What's new

Washed out 310 manifolds - With pictures

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
$140/piece. I didn't get a chance to change it out tonight since we were nice and busy. No complaints though, it's a great problem to have.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
It is very important that you use a factory tool with a 1/2 drive for the case seal.the low pressure seal will have to be removed to use it.torque the case seal in place at 29.5 or 30 ft. pounds of torque. If you have scale built up on the plungers they must be clean and smooth before installing the new seals.If you remove the plunger to clean it, use new seals, they do not come in your kit. Using a 3/8 torque wench, torque the plunger retainer to 55 INCH pounds. Use blue lock tight on the threads. If you have any questions Please call me before you start this rebuild.Cracked plunger about 70 Dollars,proper tools priceless.Good luck, Pete.

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you look inside one of the manifolds in the valve area to see if they're sleeved like the packing area? I wouldn't spend the money on this if they don't.

Randy

Reaction score
John,
Can you take a couple of pictures of what they did to your heads so we can get an idea as to what it intails.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Yeah. I can do that. I was able to change one manifold out tonight and it is working like a champ. I have two more and will try and snap some pics tomorrow. I'm not real sure what you guys are asking about, but I will get the pics so we can all critique them :D

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Mep brings up a good point. The brass case seal holding your high pressure seal in place has an O-ring.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Pictures to come, sorry for the wait. 2nd intermission for the Red Wings game tonight. See ya in a bit :D

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I've been looking for. I'll have to call them Monday to see if they can re-sleeve a 5CP head.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Stan told me that he could. So far the two pumps that I have changed out have been working really well.

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Stan is local to me. I can place my pump on his bench in about 35 minutes from my place. He replaced the seats in my first cat pumps some 12 years ago. I think he includes a Teflon spacer ring that takes up the difference in what he machines out, so the high pressure seals fit perfectly. He also does the popit valve seats. Like was said earlier, he beat Cat by many many years.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It will be pulsating. If you put in new seals and valve o-rings and it still pulsates you most likely rebuilt a ruined head and probably ruined a new set of seals. Check closely, both visually and touchy feely before installing the new parts.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can usually tell when you pull out the old parts. The first sign is that valve o-rings will keep getting blown out on one side after a month or so. If the packings come out all fuzzy on the outside, the manifold has eroded where they seat, and new packings won't last as long before the pressure starts to drop. That doesn't always cause a pulsation.

Reaction score
That's what I thought

I have rebuild several head and they did not last very long.. Is it cheaper to buy just heads or the whole pump?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's cheaper to send the heads to Kleen-Rite and have them press in the stainless seats. Once that's done you should never have a problem with them washing out again. It's cheaper than replacing the head or buying a new pump. I keep a spare head all plumbed with unions and ready with new packings and valve o-rings so if I notice one weak or pulsating I can swap it in a couple minutes and rebuild the other on the bench.

washnvac

Reaction score
Anyone that does not want their old heads---I will take them. I will pay the shipping. Just drop me an e-mail. Thanks.

Elliott

Reaction score
What great info for a beginner like me. Thank you everyone for your experiences.