What's new

Washed out 310 manifolds - With pictures

DavidM

Reaction score
I have sent at least six 310 heads to Vilco for repair. So far no problems but it took 15 years to washout the heads in the first place and the oldest repaired head has only been in use about 5 years. I was told the repaired heads should not washout because they are sleeved with stainless steel. If the repaired head is better than new, $150 - $200 isn't bad.
I have also replaced one of my 310s with an Arimitsu 516. I am using only 3 hp motor on that bay and it works well for us. The quieter pump is a nice advantage.

David

MEP001

Reaction score
washnvac said:
Changing pumps for a washed out head is a bit drastic , isn't it?
I've replaced all six 5CP manifolds under warranty once, and they're failing again. The wash is only five years old. I'm also very diligent about replacing seals and o-rings, but there seems to be something in the water that's eating up the brass. I couldn't see spending almost as much for just a manifold as it costs for a new General pump, and those manifolds have another warranty and cost half as much as a Cat manifold.

Greg

Reaction score
310 manifolds

Greg, I do have a question for you if I may: I want to try an Arimitsu, probably the 516, to replace another 5CP with a washed out head. The 5CP's 8" pulley just barely clears the belt guard's height - is that going to be a problem in the changeover? Is there an 8" or so pulley that can be used with it?
Hi MEP,
The 5CP is 4.25" from the base plate to the center of the shaft, compared to 4.5" on the Arimitsu 516.
Operators do their changeovers 1 of 2 ways;
A) 516 pump, 30102 rails, & 22mm bushing - existing pulley is re-used.
or
B) 516 pump shipped mounted on 30102 rails, with new bushing & pulley attached. Standard pulley is 8.2od and from the baseplate to the top of the pulley I measure 8-5/8".

For convenience, both A & B options match existing baseplate bolt spacing (5.12") to avoid re-drilling mounting holes.

Greg Thoennes
Sales & Tech. Support
Arimitsu Pumps

MEP001

Reaction score
Thanks, I will measure and see if it will clear. I can order a taller belt guard, but it's so much taller that it won't effectively guard the side of the pulley anymore.

Plow Guy

Reaction score
Mep, great pics. It looks to me from the pitting of the base metal away from the seat area that you may have a chemical reaction going on with your soaps. Are you using Red hot truck powder? The main chemical is 2-Butoxyethanol . Are you using a differant soap on your IBA, then recycling water for your self serve, thus two parts for the reaction?If you pull a brass fitting at your water meter is it corroded like your pump head ? Last question,does the General head you now have in serves have the same base metal issue?
Just trying to be helpful. Best of luck! Pete

MEP001

Reaction score
Plow Guy said:
Are you using Red hot truck powder?
Yes, but the original manifolds washed out while I was still using a different, milder soap. If anything the replacements have lasted longer with the Red Hot. I don't think it's a chemical issue. I've seen the result of that - all the brass and chrome was eaten away, but the only wear on mine is under the packing. The 530 picture is of a very old head that's been a paperweight for around 10 years.

Plow Guy said:
Are you using a differant soap on your IBA, then recycling water for your self serve, thus two parts for the reaction?If you pull a brass fitting at your water meter is it corroded like your pump head ?
No reclaim at all. I have also replaced all the rinse solenoids once due to brass erosion.

Plow Guy said:
Last question,does the General head you now have in serves have the same base metal issue?
Not sure what you mean - I have only one General in service, and it hasn't been in place very long, barely over a year since I last opened it and it was still like new inside at the time (Employee had left the wash-down switch on and melted everything plastic or rubber in the head).

Pictures are from a $40 Kodak Easy Share, used an LED trouble light instead of the flash.

Greg

Reaction score
310 manifolds

Thanks, I will measure and see if it will clear. I can order a taller belt guard, but it's so much taller that it won't effectively guard the side of the pulley anymore.
MEP,
That sounds good, you should find guard clearance to be OK with changeover to the Arimistu 516.
Changeovers to Arimitsu 516 have been a non-issue using existing guards. I measured the guard used by National Pride to be 8-7/8". D&S, Dilling-Harris, Etowah Valley, A-OK, Jim Coleman, and more have built with the 516 using their standard guards without modification. I do know operators of Mark 7 that have changed over to the 516 with standard guarding as well.

Greg Thoennes
Sales & Tech.Support
Arimitsu Pumps

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Hey guys, why do some of my 310 manifolds have a "W" on them? What does that mean? Some have that and some don't.

Randy

Reaction score
Could it mean "Warranty" exchange

Plow Guy

Reaction score
I picked up a W head 310 pump three years ago. The blend of brass is more durable than the standard head.The newest head is an S head,and has stainless steel inserts in all 9 holes from the factory. Dyna jet beat cat by about 12 years. I have also heard Dyna jet does a better job on the press fit.

MEP001

Reaction score
There has never been a warranty exchange on the 310 manifold. Warrantied 5CP manifolds have an R stamped into them.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Well, I got the final tally of how many heads the previous owner had left sitting around. 12! He must have just bought a new manifold whenever the seals started to go. That is the only thing that makes any sense to me. I should have a few new seal kits coming in next week, so I am going to find the 3 or 4 that look the best and see what I can come up with. Thanks!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
There has never been a warranty exchange on the 310 manifold. Warrantied 5CP manifolds have an R stamped into them.
I've had several 310 manifolds with "W" stamped on the head that were sent back to Cat through a local distributor that were replaced under warranty because of head erosion. Could be they were replaced at no charge because of the volume of pumps they buy from Cat.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I got my seal kits from KR. I'm going to try and take 1 or 2 of them apart tonight. I'm also going to change the oil and the pressure regulators since I don't have any reference as to how old they are. Any last minute tips or advice?

I think I am most concerned about not being able to recognize a wash out and therefore wasting a good set of seals....hmmm....

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Update....

I took apart one of my manifolds and there was a visible wash out. I went through and visually inspected the 12 'extra' manifolds that I had and picked the best one to try and make work until I could get this one sleeved.

I got up to the wash yesterday and the pump was running like s***(Is the new seal kit that I installed now junk?). All 12 of those manifolds must be junk. I am sending the manifold that I took off to dynajet to see what he can do for me.

There is a machine shop where I work. We have a lathe, bridgeport etc...Do you think that there is anywhere where I could buy the sleeves and do it myself?

Greg

Reaction score
BG,
Your seals are most likely questionable at best. Most who have been through this would also recommend not re-using them.

I have helped new and old timers who have returned washed out Cat heads. Most times they are money ahead, rather than adding cost of sleeves, machining, new seal kit & maybe valves......You still end up with an old repaired pump with no warranty.

I was in Michigan yesterday - I wish we could have got together.

Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps
Sales and Tech. Support

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I just got three manifolds back from stan at dynajet. They have all been sleeved out, so I'm going to install one and see how it works out.