What's new

Washed out 310 manifolds - With pictures

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have 6 cat 310 heads that are washed out. Has anyone ever used the KR service for sleeving them out? I am trying to get myself on a better schedule for maintaining my pumps and this is an issue I need to address. Any opinions? Other options? Anything?

BTW...Happy Easter

Last edited by a moderator:

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I have 6 cat 310 heads that are washed out. Has anyone ever used the KR service for sleeving them out? I am trying to get myself on a better schedule for maintaining my pumps and this is an issue I need to address. Any opinions? Other options? Anything?

BTW...Happy Easter
By the time you pay for sleeving a manifold, a seal kit, shipping both ways, and maybe valves, you are well over 200 bucks invested into a used pump. I've always drawn a line at a repair at 1/2 price or more than the price of replacement is excessive. As my Cats fail, I have been replacing them with Arimitsus. I have about 20 of them now, the Cats down to 5. I like them better than the Cats and the Arimitsu guys (helpfuljames and Greg) are always willing to help. The much quieter eq. room is also a nice bonus. The 313 conversion from K/R is less that $500. I think our forum buddy Randy is also a dist. for them, give him a shout.

Speaking of washed out manifolds, it sure would be nice to have pics of washout posted here on the site. I know a lot of operators here don't know what to look for when we are talking about it. Can anyone take pics sharp enough to post? It sounds like BG can supply a washed out manifold.

Randy

Reaction score
Pat do you mean a picture like this one. This is a valve port on a Cat 310 that is washed out. Notice the groove in the bore. The Seal side will look the same.

Attachments

washme1

Reaction score
I have also have had excellent results switching all of my Cat pumps to Arimitsu. I can actually have a conversation with someone in the equipment room while all five pumps are running. Greg from Arimitsu has been very helpful. He came to my property and resolved a problem I was having with winter freeze issues.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Pat do you mean a picture like this one. This is a valve port on a Cat 310 that is washed out. Notice the groove in the bore. The Seal side will look the same.
I see the groove down in the RH bore. I was hoping for something a little more pronounced and "zeroed in" though. Most of the time it seems my seal areas are more eroded in a larger area than just a groove as in the valve area. Why don't you put that head back on, choke down the water supply so it will cavitate pretty bad, use it quite a bit over the next month or so until it is jarring parts off the shelves, take it back off and get us some seal area pics...if that's not too much trouble :D.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
To do the switch, do I have to modify anything? I would consider this if it were a plug and play setup. The last thing I want to do is have to worry about modifying my current setup.

Randy

Reaction score
It?s a pretty easy swap, the pump comes with rails so it's pretty much just swapping out parts. I?d replace the Cat 310 with the Arimitsu 516 pump. But my question would have to be how do 6 Cat pumps wash out at the same time? There has to be a cause for these pumps to wash out have you investigated as to the cause of these failures? I?ve never personally had a pump wash out. But I?ve replaced a lot of them that have.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have 8 functioning 310's right now. The previous owner left me all his 'junk' from the last 20 years. I want to have some spares in case this happens. What is a complete swap to a 516 going to cost me.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
The 516 is what I am using and it drops right in place of a 310 or 5CP, but has a pumping capacity closer to a Cat 530. You do need 5HP motors for the 516. If you have 3HP you are limited to the 313. One nice thing about the Arimitsu is that it has 4 outlets as compared to 2 on the 310 Cat. This makes it a little more versatile when it comes to plumbing it.

Etowah

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I wish Arimitsu had a replacement for the Cat 340 direct drive. From what I understand I would need to replace the motor, bell housing and coupler in order to switch over to the Arimitsu.

MEP001

Reaction score
In theory, when the manifold is sleeved it will never wash out again. I've been meaning to call the company direct (Vilco Supply in Tennessee, if I remember correctly) to find out if they do both the packing area and the valve seats. Kleen-Rite has never answered that question for me.

I.B. Washincars said:
You do need 5HP motors for the 516.
You shouldn't need 5HP motors if you're not running them higher than a normal bay, around 1200 PSI 3.5 GPM. Dilling/Harris equipment used to come standard with 3HP Mitsubishi motors and 530 Cat pumps, and that setup would easily run 1600 PSI with 2507 tips and stay at 10A with 240V.

Greg

Reaction score
310 manifolds

Here is a handy formula for folks to determine required horsepower;

Multiply Pump GPM X PSI then divide by 1500

examples;
5(gpm) x 1500(psi) / 1500 = 5 hp
4(gpm) x 1500(psi) / 1500 = 4 hp

4.5(gpm) x 1200(psi) / 1500 = 3.6 hp
4(gpm) x 1200(psi) / 1500 = 3.2 hp
3.5(gpm) x 1200(psi) / 1500 = 2.8 hp

4(gpm) x 1000(psi) / 1500 = 2.7 hp
3.5(gpm) x 1000(psi) / 1500 = 2.3 hp

Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps
Sales & Tech.Support

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Dilling/Harris equipment used to come standard with 3HP Mitsubishi motors and 530 Cat pumps, and that setup would easily run 1600 PSI with 2507 tips and stay at 10A with 240V.
According to Greg's formula and the Windtrax volume chart about 4.8 HP is needed for 1600 PSI and an 07 tip. I'm not saying it can't be done with a 3, but I would size it properly from the git-go if I were doing it.

MEP001

Reaction score
Here is a 5CP manifold washed out in the seal area:

Here is a 530 washed out in the valve area:

The Cat pumps will erode the walls below the edge you can see. It's not always obvious, in fact the one I posted is very minor, but it was still blowing out o-rings every few days. Looking straight down at the top of the surface where the valve sits will not reveal a washed out head.

MEP001

Reaction score
I.B. Washincars said:
According to Greg's formula and the Windtrax volume chart about 4.8 HP is needed for 1600 PSI and an 07 tip. I'm not saying it can't be done with a 3, but I would size it properly from the git-go if I were doing it.
I won't disagree with that at all, but I doubt he's running that pressure. If he's not, he won't need to replace his motors to run the 516 Arimitsu.

Greg, I do have a question for you if I may: I want to try an Arimitsu, probably the 516, to replace another 5CP with a washed out head. The 5CP's 8" pulley just barely clears the belt guard's height - is that going to be a problem in the changeover? Is there an 8" or so pulley that can be used with it?

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
I have had Vilco re-sleeve a few for me. No problems thus far. Call 1-888-255-4181 and ask for Joe.

washnvac

Reaction score
Changing pumps for a washed out head is a bit drastic , isn't it? I have had 310s since
'94, with only one wash out. I sent to KR for repair for about $150--no issues since. I have one location with five 5cp2120w. All five of those did wash out within 6 years, but were all repaired under warranty. Since the rebuild, I have had no issues. I am also diligent about changing valve o-rings once I have any indication of a pressure loss. A quick o-ring change seems to bring them right back up to peak performance. What pump noise is that you speak of? I never hear any pump noise because over the years I have become deafened from..........well.......pump noise.