What's new

Things Just Got Real

Blanco

Reaction score
Quote for Colorwash came in at $10,000 per bay. Seems way too high to me.
10k per bay is just stupid.

Check out these guys.

The company is called mile high lighting. Seen them at the car wash show. There booth was packed. They gave me a price list and it was very reasonably priced.

HeyVern

Reaction score
10k per bay is just stupid.

Check out these guys.

The company is called mile high lighting. Seen them at the car wash show. There booth was packed. They gave me a price list and it was very reasonably priced.
Thanks, I'll check them out

CaveWashNM

Reaction score
Have you made a plan for cleaning out the pits?

(this is my first post here, although I have lurked for a few years now and then...didn't see an 'intro' thread so I'm just saying hi, I'm new!)

HeyVern

Reaction score
Have you made a plan for cleaning out the pits?

(this is my first post here, although I have lurked for a few years now and then...didn't see an 'intro' thread so I'm just saying hi, I'm new!)
Probably just have them pumped, though I have a rough idea for building an attachment for my tractor that I might try at some point.

CaveWashNM

Reaction score
Probably just have them pumped, though I have a rough idea for building an attachment for my tractor that I might try at some point.
Sorry it has taken me so long to get back here!
Disposal is the expensive aspect of pit maintenance...if you hire someone else, their disposal cost is included in their rate. It can be pretty high, depending on where you live and other factors. You certainly can save money pumping yourself, but unless you have a plan for reclamation on your own, you will still have to pay the expensive disposal fees. Especially if you are washing large trucks and RV's. Regular passenger vehicles don't usually pick up substances that might require you to use a regulated disposal service. You can set up your own reclamation operation on your own property if your mud meets the requirements of (I think it is) the EPA. Doing that saves a huge amount of money.
Like I said, depending on where you live, it might not be that big of an issue. But somewhere where there is a lot of certain kind of industry, for instance, gas and oil or mining, etc, there are additional considerations other than just removing mud from pits and dumping it somewhere.

Vince

Reaction score
Congrats to you on your project. Building a project from ground up is challenging but very rewarding. Lot of fun to go by every day, see the progress and "micro-manage" the workers. Lol. Just kidding...mostly.

HeyVern

Reaction score
Block layers are almost done and final grading of the lot is nearly done as well. Hopefully, the weather holds out long enough to get asphalt down before the plants close for the winter. If so, I'm looking at an opening date of mid February. I'm starting to figure out my prices and wanted to get everybody's thoughts. The three closest washes are all old and not well maintained.

Their self serve prices are: $2.00/6 minutes, $6.00/20 minutes, $1.25 to start ?minutes.

Having new equipment, a new well maintained wash, and an attendant on duty, I'm thinking $2.00/3 minutes.

What would you suggest?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Brand new Wash, go $1/minute. Start up amount can be $2-$5.
^ This

Citing significant increases in expenses for energy, chemicals, parts...Several of my customers have gone to $5 to Start - $1/minute.

IMHO...$2.00/3 minutes (22.5₵/min) will allow you to go broker faster. You're not going into the Car Wash business for the fellowship.

Roz

Reaction score
Curious after you are completed to hear more about the process of building from the ground up a new SS/IBA wash. Not done often these days. Way to go!

Where in Utah as I go to SLC to ski. Are you still on track for February? Very cool to see a new wash that is not a tunnel!

HeyVern

Reaction score
Curious after you are completed to hear more about the process of building from the ground up a new SS/IBA wash. Not done often these days. Way to go!

Where in Utah as I go to SLC to ski. Are you still on track for February? Very cool to see a new wash that is not a tunnel!
I'm about 80 miles North of Salt Lake, close to the Idaho border.I considered building a tunnel, the town just isn't big enough yet. Didn't get the asphalt in before the plants closed for winter so, looking at opening in April. Hopefully, we get some good weather and the plants open early but, I'm not counting on it.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm about 80 miles North of Salt Lake, close to the Idaho border.I considered building a tunnel, the town just isn't big enough yet. Didn't get the asphalt in before the plants closed for winter so, looking at opening in April. Hopefully, we get some good weather and the plants open early but, I'm not counting on it.
I'd go big with your pricing right away. Five dollar start a dollar a minute

mac

Reaction score
Another way to look at this is the pit mud is just the same as the mud on the street, so if that is hazardous the entire street system is polluted. Hire a kid to clean them (do it during the day) and toss in the dumpster.

Etowah