What's new

Switching to count up.

OurTown

Reaction score
Got another drive off yesterday evening and one this morning. Is this how you guys are making extra money on count up? 😁

Twodose

Reaction score
Why would they drive off? Wouldn't they have the option to use quarters?

Also the led7 instructions online are different than the one that comes with the timer, I recently emailed them about this and the answer I got was that the software updates are on the paper but not online.

OurTown

Reaction score
Why would they drive off?
Sorry. I'll clarify. They got the bay started with card, used a few dollars worth, then drove off without pushing the button to stop. The one yesterday a young lady came in afterward and used the last few minutes of the previous person's swipe.

Twodose

Reaction score
OK, I see, I thought you meant that they were pulling in and driving off not even using your wash. I'm in the process of installing these, I can see that being a problem, so what do you do?, are these people calling and asking for a refund? The instructions a very clear and simple on how to use credit cards, but you will always get customers like that I guess.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
We've had count up timers in our SS bays for 10yrs now. We have Carolina Pride's Mercury Payment System. Proper signage is critical, though we do still have newbies drive off leaving the timer running. It maxes out at 18 minutes. Yes, some customers will pull in and use the free time to wash their cars. When the customer calls to complain about the charge, I explain to them how the system works, send them a picture of the sign posted next to the meter cabinet in the bay, and issue them 1 refund. Every newbie gets one mulligan, after that it's on them! Here is a picture of the sign that we post. SS Credit Card.jpeg

Etowah

Twodose

Reaction score
So I’m still in the process of setting up cryptopay and I am doing in my home to set it up before putting in the carwash, I have the price and time set up for $2.50 for 4 min, count up.

When I let it count up to 4:01 min the charge is $2.50 all the way up until it gets to 4:31 then it will charge $2.75, if I press the button to stop anywhere between 4:00 and 4:30 it only charges $2.50, so it seems that when they figure out they can go to 4:30 min instead of 4:00 min they will be charged the same amount, is that correct or am I doing something wrong?

It seems anything over 4:00, they should be charged for going over the advertised price and time.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm glad you checked that and found this out - I would have assumed it would charge the next increment at 4:01.

OurTown

Reaction score
So I’m still in the process of setting up cryptopay and I am doing in my home to set it up before putting in the carwash, I have the price and time set up for $2.50 for 4 min, count up.

When I let it count up to 4:01 min the charge is $2.50 all the way up until it gets to 4:30 then it will charge $2.75, if I press the button to stop anywhere between 4:00 and 4:30 it only charges $2.50, so it seems that when they figure out they can go to 4:30 min instead of 4:00 min they will be charged the same amount, is that correct or am I doing something wrong?

It seems anything over 4:00, they should be charged for going over the advertised price and time.
That is the way count up is. With count down we had many charged right to the penny of use if they held the button down to cancel unused time. (the timer only displays in quarter increments though)

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
We all know, no matter what you do, 1/3 or more of customers never read the instructions and or get confused anyways. Count Up with LED 7 showing time has only rarely been an issue for me. IMO, this is hands down the way to go.
Thanks for that info. I didn't realized the LED7 wasn't able to count up in Money, which is what we were leaning toward since it seems like it will make more sense to the customers.

Twodose

Reaction score
So if you set at $2.50 for 3:30 min. for quarters it would count down from that time then stop, but if you used a CC it would count up to 4:00 for the same price? Seems odd, but I guess you could use that to promote the use of a CC.

OurTown

Reaction score
So if you set at $2.50 for 3:30 min. for quarters it would count down from that time then stop, but if you used a CC it would count up to 4:00 for the same price? Seems odd, but I guess you could use that to promote the use of a CC.

I'm not 100% sure but it looks like on count up I'm losing up to 25 cents per transaction. We are talking a small amount of money but it seems odd that on count down it was to the penny and it was fair to both customer and us. Just another Cryptopay quirk to add to the list.