What's new

Self Serve Price Increase

MEP001

Reaction score
I know a little about the grace time too, I think mines at 2 seconds for now. Thanks for the wisdom!
Did you mean 20 seconds? Two seconds isn't enough time for anyone to get more coins added.

SelfServe

Reaction score
@MEP001 My bad I confused grace time with start delay. I withdraw my previous statement about knowing a little about this ha. Is grace period on the back end when timer is about to run out?

MEP001

Reaction score
Grace time is to restart the timer with less of an amount than the full start-up after the time has completely run out. Last minute alert is to warn customer the time is about to run out.

chaz

Reaction score
Good to know. So I have a super rookie question based off some of these responses. When ya’ll say $3/4min does your timer still accept coins in increments (say 75 cents/min in this example) or does it make customers pay another $3 to add more time? Hopefully that makes sense!
that means in my case….currently….deposit $3 get 4 minutes. Gita dep min to activate….at my wash while timer is running u can additional money for mote time….as little as a quarter at a time

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
Ive been at the following for way too long.

Self Serve $2 for 4 min (cash/tokens) CC is $5min for 10 minutes.
Vacs are $1 for 4 minutes(Cash/tokens) /CC is $2 minimum for 8 Minuntes.

I just pulled the trigger on new signage for an increase.

SS is going to $3 for 5minutes (cash/tokens) CC will be $6 minimum for 10 minutes.

Vacs are going to $2 for 6 minutes (cash tokens) CC will be $3minimum for 9 minutes.

My thoughts are at least make the extra dollar on the $2 mudders that trash the place. most people that actually wash are spending $8 to $10 anyways.
Once they get used to putting $3 miniumums in ill begin reducing time to get me to $1 per min in the ss over the next 2 years.

CentralTex

Reaction score
SelfServe, don't overthink this. Raise the prices. $1.5, $1.75, $2.00...whatever it is do something. You can always change quickly if something doesn't work out. A dollar per minute after the start seems quite high, but I don't know your area.

carwashkid22

Reaction score
I have two sites, I believe the current standard should be 3$ cash for 5 minutes which is 25 seconds per quarter and no less than a 5$ swipe. Ideally 20 seconds per quarter. The biggest mistake I see is people giving away the wash with silly 1.50-2$ start prices and 30 seconds per quarter watch those sites will go by the wayside in the next few years if they don't tighten up.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have two sites, I believe the current standard should be 3$ cash for 5 minutes which is 25 seconds per quarter and no less than a 5$ swipe. Ideally 20 seconds per quarter. The biggest mistake I see is people giving away the wash with silly 1.50-2$ start prices and 30 seconds per quarter watch those sites will go by the wayside in the next few years if they don't tighten up.

Maybe where you are but depends on local market and there are many variables. We are the most expensive nearby at $3 for 4.6 minutes and many are still $1.50-$2 for four minutes. There is one in the next town up that is $1 for two minutes.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
What market are you in? Pricing is all about the market and competition. My washes are right in the price point you mentioned but their not going any where any time soon....its paid off so I have no note against it and I maintain it well.

carwashkid22

Reaction score
Even a 17% price increase which is 30 seconds to 25 seconds per quarter. Over a 5 minute wash we are talking the difference between $2.50 to $3.00. Most people in America can handle the 50 cent swing if not how did they handle gas prices doubling? Plus on our side look at material prices normal stuff check valves/swivels those prices are not going down. So when people say “that’s what the market will bear” I say look at the calculator again and look how much a small increase can have a huge effect on your bottom line. Have you tested higher prices or just sticking with the status quo?

cbchevy4x4

Reaction score
So after changing my prices back in the middle of May to what I posted above here is what i have seen.

1. My Car Counts are down in my IBA, i did not change that pricing it remained the same, for now. I attribute the lower car counts to the higher gas prices and weather in my area for the last 2 months.

2. My SS and Vac Sales have increased. SS is at 24% & Vacs are at 37%. I have noticed several of my regular IBA customers using the SS and many have mentioned the fact of saving a little where they can due to the current inflated fuel costs.

3. My Variable Expenses: Gas, Water, Electricity, soap have decreased approximately 20%.

4. I also feel like I've had less "major" messes to clean up as well, which means less in the pits to have to pay to pump.

5. 0 complaints about the increase. Several customers have commented about how long i had been at the same pricing (since 2007).

6. The only "suggestion" i received was i should put a sign out about the new price. When i pointed to the decal on the meter box that is 1" from the coin slot with the price on it, that conversation came to an abrupt end on the customers behalf as he admitted he never looked at it as we had been at the previous pricing "forever".

Now when i made the price increase i did do a few small things that the customers would blatantly see.
I put all new Vac hoses, cuffs, and claws on, i even changed the colors just to make it really stand out.
I put new plastic on the HP guns giving the appearance of new guns at a much cheaper price.
Sealed the parking lot 1 month after the price increase.

MEP001

Reaction score
So when people say “that’s what the market will bear” I say look at the calculator again and look how much a small increase can have a huge effect on your bottom line.
I say deal with your market and I will deal with mine.