What's new

Self Serve Price Increase

SelfServe

Reaction score
Hey all! I took over a renovated 6 bay SS last December so I’m pretty new to the biz but learning how to fix new things every day. The previous owners had pricing set at .50 cents to start and .50 cents/minute. I’m changing prices (expensive area) and I think I’m nailed down on .75 cents/min but not sure if I should leave it at .50 cents to start or raise start price? What is advantage to a start price of $2 or so vs .50 cents? I could see higher start price causing my “cheap” customers to pay a little more but I really don’t have many people paying less than $2.50 per wash anyways. I do have swipers and I’m at 48% cc/52% coins. Card readers are count up with minimum at $2, I want to raise card minimum to $3.50, and max is at $10, should I raise that as well? I’m excited to be a part of the community and appreciate any input!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
how do you renovate a wash, spend all that money, and only charge $.50?

My self-serve bays are three dollars to start for three minutes and 15 seconds. I get very few complaints.

You said you are in an expensive area so why not raise it to a two or three dollar start? I think if more operators did this the self-serve car wash business would improve for all of us.

SelfServe

Reaction score
Great advice thank you. That was my thought as well, I think they were nervous to raise prices and lose customers but I get great feedback from my customers and I think most will understand. So in your experience.. Does charging a few dollars up front to start equal out to more revenue than keeping a lower cost to start but charging more per minute? Say if I did 50 cents to start and dollar per minute?

Martins

Reaction score
Raise them prices!

Im running $2 start for 4 mins, $3 minimum on CC max $15 (on count up). however i am going to be changing it to $2 for 3.5 mins i think here soon. if you can get $1 per min your going to do great most likely. do $2 to start for 2 mins then make it $1 per min.

Knight01

Reaction score
Raise them prices!

Im running $2 start for 4 mins, $3 minimum on CC max $15 (on count up). however i am going to be changing it to $2 for 3.5 mins i think here soon. if you can get $1 per min your going to do great most likely. do $2 to start for 2 mins then make it $1 per min.
I raised mine last fall to $2 start for 3 minutes 20 seconds, basically a penny a second and of course 25 seconds for every extra quarter. No push back at all and significant increase in revenue due to dropping from 4 minutes for $2. That extra 50 cents a wash adds up.

SelfServe

Reaction score
Raise them prices!

Awesome I might go with the $2 to start, only thing that worries me is my competition 1 mile away does $2 to start and offers a few more options (which is why I think less to start could be better marketing for me). No risk no reward though I suppose. Also max of $15 sounds solid as I have customers that will hit my $10 max and swipe again.

SelfServe

Reaction score
I raised mine last fall to $2 start for 3 minutes 20 seconds, basically a penny a second and of course 25 seconds for every extra quarter. No push back at all and significant increase in revenue due to dropping from 4 minutes for $2. That extra 50 cents a wash adds up.
Thanks for the input! So I’ll be increasing my revenue by 25 cents/min by raising to 75 cents/min. Still debating if I should keep 50 cent start and change rate to 75 cents/min. If I change start price I think I’ll go with $2 start for 2 mins 40 secs. Do you offer any bonuses on your timers?

Knight01

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! So I’ll be increasing my revenue by 25 cents/min by raising to 75 cents/min. Still debating if I should keep 50 cent start and change rate to 75 cents/min. If I change start price I think I’ll go with $2 start for 2 mins 40 secs. Do you offer any bonuses on your timers?
No bonus at all. I think it would only confuse people if I posted something other than very basic pricing.

edredtop

Reaction score
Here's something to think about while you work through your decision making process:
It's been years since a transient/bum/homeless person has asked for change in our area.
They ask for a dollar (or more).
If bums are asking for bills, you should too.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't give them money, but I keep hearing that if a homeless asks for money and you give them just a dollar bill, they get upset.

sjb

Reaction score
I would suggest that you move to $1 increments, still accept Quarters but only dispense your proprietary tokens.

I am at $3 for 4 minutes, max on CC’s at $15. I’m blown away by the CC’s charges. It is common to see $20, $30 and $40 charges for CC’s customers… the cash customers rarely spend as much! CC’s are approximately 1/2 the revenue.

My Vacuums are $2 for 5 minutes.

Best of luck on your new venture and upgrades!

Knight01

Reaction score
Here's something to think about while you work through your decision making process:
It's been years since a transient/bum/homeless person has asked for change in our area.
They ask for a dollar (or more).
If bums are asking for bills, you should too.
lol. I hadn't thought of it but they also ask for a dollar or two when they come up to me. Cost of panhandling has apparently gone up!

chaz

Reaction score
I’m $3/4min on ss cash or credit, cards are count up. Leaning towards $4/5min with mi. $5 on card. This would result in very minimal price increase….but force the $4 start

SelfServe

Reaction score
I’m $3/4min on ss cash or credit, cards are count up. Leaning towards $4/5min with mi. $5 on card. This would result in very minimal price increase….but force the $4 start
Good to know. So I have a super rookie question based off some of these responses. When ya’ll say $3/4min does your timer still accept coins in increments (say 75 cents/min in this example) or does it make customers pay another $3 to add more time? Hopefully that makes sense!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Most timers are designed to add time in 25 cent increments on initial start and as long as there is still time left in the initial cycle. If time runs out, it’s another 3 bucks to start. There is a feature on some, called grace time, but I won’t get into that now.

Martins

Reaction score
Awesome I might go with the $2 to start, only thing that worries me is my competition 1 mile away does $2 to start and offers a few more options (which is why I think less to start could be better marketing for me). No risk no reward though I suppose. Also max of $15 sounds solid as I have customers that will hit my $10 max and swipe again.
so to help ease your mind, let me put it this way i have 1 other self serve less then a mile from me ($1 to start), a tunnel next to that one, another bran new wash 2 miles from me ($1 to start) with a iba and free vacuums, and another self serve about 3 miles from me. i am the most expensive, my building isnt "new looking" but painted and updated, my IBA is broke down and closed, and 1 of my 5 bays has been in op since before i bought it. and i charged for my vacuums. basically im a 4 bay, with 4 vacs. and im pulling record numbers month over month. Because everything at my wash works, soaps, rinse, wax, vacuums all updated with new motors and hoses. vending always full, bays are cleaned daily, trash is taken out all the time and i advertise locally only. Today in fact i dropped my time per quarter as i noticed my gas and water prices have increased quite a bit all of a sudden. although im hitting numbers I've never seen with this wash seems like i have nothing left over as my water bill and gas bill are super high all of a sudden. don't be afraid to make money.

If you really want to play the pricing game you can always do the $1 to start but make it 1 min. i would like to be $1 per min but i know ill prob never be able to at this point because of all the comp in the area... unless i just buy all of the washes around me and hike them all..... wait a sec, ill be right back... gonna call my realtor. lol

Last edited:

SelfServe

Reaction score
so to help ease your mind, let me put it this way i have 1 other self serve less then a mile from me ($1 to start), a tunnel next to that one, another bran new wash 2 miles from me ($1 to start) with a iba and free vacuums, and another self serve about 3 miles from me. i am the most expensive, my building isnt "new looking" but painted and updated, my IBA is broke down and closed, and 1 of my 5 bays has been in op since before i bought it. and i charged for my vacuums. basically im a 4 bay, with 4 vacs. and im pulling record numbers month over month. Because everything at my wash works, soaps, rinse, wax, vacuums all updated with new motors and hoses. vending always full, bays are cleaned daily, trash is taken out all the time and i advertise locally only. Today in fact i dropped my time per quarter as i noticed my gas and water prices have increased quite a bit all of a sudden. although im hitting numbers I've never seen with this wash seems like i have nothing left over as my water bill and gas bill are super high all of a sudden. don't be afraid to make money.

If you really want to play the pricing game you can always do the $1 to start but make it 1 min. i would like to be $1 per min but i know ill prob never be able to at this point because of all the comp in the area... unless i just buy all of the washes around me and hike them all..... wait a sec, ill be right back... gonna call my realtor. lol
Great advice. I feel enabled because that’s what I wanted to hear lol. But yes, to your point might as well buy up the competition and monopolize my whole block. Guess I’ll have to do $1/min to get there haha.

SelfServe

Reaction score
Most timers are designed to add time in 25 cent increments on initial start and as long as there is still time left in the initial cycle. If time runs out, it’s another 3 bucks to start. There is a feature on some, called grace time, but I won’t get into that now.
Okay thought so just wanted to makes sure I wasn’t missing something. I know a little about the grace time too, I think mines at 2 seconds for now. Thanks for the wisdom!

SelfServe

Reaction score
I would suggest that you move to $1 increments, still accept Quarters but only dispense your proprietary tokens.

I am at $3 for 4 minutes, max on CC’s at $15. I’m blown away by the CC’s charges. It is common to see $20, $30 and $40 charges for CC’s customers… the cash customers rarely spend as much! CC’s are approximately 1/2 the revenue.

My Vacuums are $2 for 5 minutes.

Best of luck on your new venture and upgrades!
Thanks for the link to the token site! Definitely looking in that this week.

Etowah