What's new

Regulator bypass

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Not unless the soap/wax have more pressure than the water. It doesn't matter if the soap/wax enter on the same side of the pump as the bypass or not; the bypass plumbed back to the inlet doesn't affect the inlet pressure.
OK...I see now...The soap/wax are just plumbed on the other side of the pump from where the water supply is. Makes sense....

Randy

Reaction score
I don’t think you’ll need to do anything so I’d hook one up and see what happens. How long have you had the bypass routed to the drain? Just think how much water has been wasted! Thanks for the link on the motor speeds.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
This is how one of my pumps is plumbed...using a regulator setup instead of an unloader.

The Black and Blue 1/4" poly tubes (next to the braided water supply hose) are soap and wax...all liquids feed into a single pump inlet. Simple, easy to work on, and reliable.

Uh oh, looks like I need a new belt!?! :eek:

MEP001

Reaction score
They were originally plumbed like this:

Not a good layout; when the trigger was pulled/released the water flow in the head changed directions and the pump would cavitate for an instant. I had to replace the first head from washout in less than two years. As I replaced heads I replumbed them like this:

They run smoother, and none of the replacement heads have washed out (The oldest is seven years). It's also a lot easier to service with just two unions to break loose and free up all the plumbing, and I can keep a rebuilt head with a gauge already on it on the shelf to swap out in just a few minutes.

There was no change in the soap/wax draw with the change in plumbing.

HCW

Reaction score
How long have you had the bypass routed to the drain? Just think how much water has been wasted!

The car wash was built in 2000, We purchased it exactly one year ago. The previus owner didn't even show up for the closing:rolleyes:, We (me & wife) didn't know anything about car washes, so baysicaly we were on our own. The company that we hired to do some repairs and updates (~30K worth) promised to show us the ropes, but soon as work was done and got paid they got "very busy", Now I feel like we were miss led on few things like soap products and CC set up..... I spent countless time on this forum and I think I would have walked away from this car wash if it wasn't for all the help that I received here. Sorry for venting but it's been a nightmare since we bought this business.

I don't know for how long the bypass was routed to the drain
:confused:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Haysville-Car-wash/273772129404928

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
HCW,

I notice on your most recent pic of your now revised pump stand you are only using 1 belt on your 2 belt pulleys' system. We have a 2 belt pulley system & we have never considered getting rid of that particular redundancy that the original installers (Specialty Equipment) put in on our pump stands. Any thoughts by anyone else on this observation even though it is not really pertinent to the bypass issue?

We actually had (more than once) one of the belts break & the other backup belt prevented ... what would have been ... immediate downtime for the bay.

mike

MEP001

Reaction score
mjwalsh said:
We actually had (more than once) one of the belts break & the other backup belt prevented ... what would have been ... immediate downtime for the bay.
Checking and replacing belts works just as well.

Did you not notice the pulley alignment would prevent the use of two belts?