What's new

Regulator bypass

HCW

Reaction score
Assuming I did this wright and you can see pump setup pic in attached file, this regulator setup is bypassing lots of water when the trigger is pulled or not, this is happening on all 4 SS bays. It bypass more when trigger is not pulled. Do i have 4 bad regulators or are they working properly and i just need to reroute the bypass hose to the low pressure side of pump? If so, do I need check valves?

The bottom left blue hose is hot water feed and bottom right two small blue hoses are wax and soap, the other attachment are low pressure chemicals.

Thanks in advance for any ideas

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks like your motor pulleys are way bigger than they need to be. There should always be some bypass with the trigger pulled, but excessive flow means wasted energy and more wear on the pump.

What brand/model pumps are those? What's the diameter of the pump and motor pulleys? What size tip are you running?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
this regulator setup is bypassing lots of water when the trigger is pulled or not, this is happening on all 4 SS bays. It bypass more when trigger is not pulled.
Bypass means your pump is pumping more water than the bays can use/need, ie your pump is working harder than necessary.
First step is as MEP advised, check into your pulley sizes.

HCW

Reaction score
To the drain.
MEP, it's a Hotsy H406r.2 pump 4.7gpm@1200rpm
Pulleys are 6 3/4" overall diameter with 1/2" groove on the pump and 4 3/4" overall diameter on the elec motor with also a 1/2" groove.
Nozzle tip is 2506

I appreciate the quick reply.

HCW

Reaction score
according to this website http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx
I am running pumps @ 1231 rpm >3000psi !! is that possible?
This is what I entered:
Elec Motor pulley diameter 4 3/4 pump 6 3/4 distance from center pulley to center pulley 18" small pulley rpm(elec motor) 1750

MEP001

Reaction score
Why is the bypass going to the drain? Replace that elbow on the bottom left inlet to the pump with a tee and run it there.

I don't know what pressure you're running them at, but it's obviously not 3000 PSI, so if you're running it at 1000 you're dumping 1.7 GPM down the drain. You're definitely spinning the pump way faster than it needs - when you figure in new pulleys you need to take the pressure into account. You can at least replace the motor pulleys with 4" ones right away. You won't find them much cheaper than from here:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/pulley/pulley_sheave_menu.htm

HCW

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you very much. Do I need any check valves for wax & soap(two bottom right blue hoses) and water?

MEP001

Reaction score
If you just move the regulator bypass to the pump inlet, you won't need to change anything else.

HCW

Reaction score
If you just move the regulator bypass to the pump inlet, you won't need to change anything else.
The reason why I asked is the wax, soap, and water are all gravity fed to the pump, wax & soap have selonoids and I am afraid the bypass pressure will backfeed to the water, wax, and presoak tanks.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
You would be rerouting the bypass back into the water inlet to the pump...How could this affect your soap and wax?

I can't believe a pump stand was designed this way.... That could amount to a lot of water going down the drain.

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz said:
I can't believe a pump stand was designed this way.... That could amount to a lot of water going down the drain.
I know, right? And with the pumps being spun at 1200 RPM, with the trigger not pulled the whole 4.7 GPM is going to the drain.

HCW

Reaction score
So, is it ok to put the T at water inlet and route the bypass there or does it need to be reconfigured?
FYI: wax and soap (2 blue hoses on right bottom) are routed from holding tanks to a solenoid then to pump low pressure inlet. I am afraid that the bypass pressure will go in the wax & soap. Maybe I am worried because bypass water pressure is VERY high now, and after I switch pulleys the pressure will drop a bunch.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's no new water being introduced, so there's nothing to backflow into the soap and wax lines.

Replacing that elbow with a tee is the simplest, quickest and cheapest solution for that wasted water, and it's the best for the pump because the flow won't change every time the trigger is pulled/released.

HCW

Reaction score
I'll get it done. Thanks

Forgive the newbie (Me) for all the stupid questions:D

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My Mark VII stand is plumbed such that the Bypass does not affect soap and wax draw. Since your soap and wax are plumbed to the low pressure side of the pump, I'm wondering how this affects the way the bypass is supposed to work. Will it keep putting more and more soap/wax into what is bypassed when the trigger is released?

My Bypass is Tee'd in right in front of the water strainer. Soap and wax input is right behind strainer.

MEP001

Reaction score
2Biz said:
My Mark VII stand is plumbed such that the Bypass does not affect soap and wax draw. Since your soap and wax are plumbed to the low pressure side of the pump, I'm wondering how this affects the way the bypass is supposed to work. Will it keep putting more and more soap/wax into what is bypassed when the trigger is released?
Not unless the soap/wax have more pressure than the water. It doesn't matter if the soap/wax enter on the same side of the pump as the bypass or not; the bypass plumbed back to the inlet doesn't affect the inlet pressure.