What's new

RainX Experience

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
An update to my original post. A regular customer with two very-high end vehicles has used my wash with the rainx option and called me up to let me know that his wife who drives one of the cars imediately saw a big difference and they are both sold on it. That's the first time a customer has taken the time to call me and discuss one product of a wash with such emotion. Hopefully the word will spread fast.
Big,
I had the same reaction, even from the technicians! They work on car washes everyday so they do not get real excited about much, but this product really made them talk. One tech used to call me everytime it rained, he would describe how he did not need the wipers and how it beaded. One of our newer sites is a tunnel where we apply trifoam wax, a FWR from a rain mainifold, Rain Shield and then RO with in a six foot distance. The car is dry on one end and still getting tri foam on the other! I tried to get a picture of this but it did not show the full effect. The owner of the site has a 4 year old black SUV and he noticed the extra shine right away. I, like our customers and technicians, am sold on these new surface sealants!

This may be less than 6 foot!

Last edited:

sonicsoft

Reaction score
Missing the Point

Missing the Point

Isn?t the whole point of RAIN-X or ?multi-surface protectants, clear coats, or pay waxes driving revenue? How much do you guys charge for Rain-X? How many actually include it in a package?

What I?ve seen in my market is operators charging $5.00, are capturing even 30% of your customers with a $5.00 add-on?

I went with the Simoniz Teflon & Vision Clear arch made by TSS. We incorporated their entire top package program.

My pricing used to be

$13 - $14.50 - $19.00

I?m now at $13.00 15.00 $19.00 $24.00.

Previously my package break down was:

$13.00 ? 55% $14.50 ? 15% $19.00 ? 30%

Now I?m at:

$13.00 ? 55% $15.00 ? 10% $19.00 ? 20% $24.00 ? 15%

By incorporating a $3.00 mail in rebate with litter bag, and my wash packages designed to drive people to a logical conclusion of realizing that the Super Sonic Wash is the best value, I?ve raised my $ per car by

550 @ $13 = $7,150.00 550 @ $13 = $7,150.00

100 @ $14 = $1,450.00 100 @ $15 = $1,500.00

300 @ $19 = $5,700.00 200 @ $19 = $3,800.00

150 @ $24 = $3,600.00

1000 @ 14.30 = $14,300.00 100 @ $16.05 = $16,050.00

Now the above numbers are just a fraction (1/10) of what actually happened, but my $ per car rose by $1.00 incorporating Simoniz's top Package program, marketing signage, and TSS Teflon Arch. The $3.00 mail in rebate does wonders for convincing a customer to purchase the top package.

At the end of the day isn?t that the goal with any pay wax service?

I guarantee there is not a Rain-X operator out there that can match the money I?ve made on the above as opposed to a single item. I chose to go with an entire marketing system.

BTW Teflon is a great product, and the Vision Clear works awesome. How great a name is Vision Clear? The light that came with my arch makes it idiot proof.

I also have an exterior express where we have done the same thing.

dewey9876

I CLN CAZ
Reaction score
Can I get any updates on Rain X or any other of these products? I am considering adding this service to my tunnel, just trying to figure out if it is worth it.
How does it work with reclaim?
Is there really a noticable difference between rain x and a regular sealer wax?
Does eco lab offer any help with purchasing equipment -(arch pumps etc)
Thanks for any help or insight

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Rain-x is not the best "Surface Sealants" available even though they are the ones who started the whole thing. There are many other brands that work much better. A good surface sealant will produce a noticeable difference over even a high quality clear coat protectorate. Ryko's Razberry Clear Coat concentrate is actually the same price as their "Rain Shield". The Rain Shield does work best when "foamed' up with 90 PSI and a RO rinse afterwards. Everyone I know who has seen a properly set up Rain shield application has been VERY impressed with the results.

bcwang

Reaction score
Why is it of all the IBA units I've seen in my area, nearly all the touch free units offer rain-x, while none of the friction units offer it.

I'd assume rain-x works better when you can get the car as clean as possible before applying it, which seems like it would suit the friction washes better. Is there some problem with it getting on the wash material of a friction wash?

washhut

just washing
Reaction score
Rain-x Product Info Sheet

Well, I don't setup washes that way so I have no experience. Here is why...Rain-x bonds rapidly to vehicle surface and the longer you can leave it in contact with the surface the better your results will be. In the Eco-Lab Technical Product Information Sheet it says "apply prior to drying agents, sealants and RO water or final rinse" it also states, "Greater distance/time from first rinse will enhance results"
Since you are using a 3x POLISH I would recomend Rain-x first.
I havn't heard anything about the tripple foam ph being a factor but I don't claim to know everything, the longer I do this job the less I know.
You could always try it the recommended way and see if you like it better. Thanks
Randy, do you know where to find that information sheet (besides from Ecolab distributor)? If not, is there some way you could send me a message with a copy?

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I have been using CarBrite chemicals and have been very happy with them. Their product is called Element Shield. The price is comparable to the Ryko, more than Simonize and less than Rainx. Does anyone have any experience with Element Shield? I'm excited about adding a new product to the auto.