What's new

RainX Experience

Etowah

randy64

Reaction score
I'm diluting it through a hydrominder with yellow or purple tip, then appying it through a non foaming rain arch type applicator. I'm using almost 2 oz or raw product per car. I follow that with a slow pass of spot free rinse. I've had no problems with rinsing or buildup.
You are using way way to much. you can get good results with 1/2 oz to 1 oz. Make your dist. change it. At 2 oz you are throwing a quarter away every time somebody uses it. In this instance more is not better.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Well, I don't setup washes that way so I have no experience. Here is why...Rain-x bonds rapidly to vehicle surface and the longer you can leave it in contact with the surface the better your results will be. In the Eco-Lab Technical Product Information Sheet it says "apply prior to drying agents, sealants and RO water or final rinse" it also states, "Greater distance/time from first rinse will enhance results"
Since you are using a 3x POLISH I would recomend Rain-x first.
I havn't heard anything about the tripple foam ph being a factor but I don't claim to know everything, the longer I do this job the less I know.
You could always try it the recommended way and see if you like it better. Thanks

We use Ryko Rain Shield and it is best to apply it last with only an RO pass to follow. No need to use any other wax product before or after. If you want the tri-wax show, it should be applied before the Rain Shield. Like many other knock off Surface sealants, the Rain Shield works better than the original. We apply with 90 PSI of air injected into the product.

randy64

Reaction score
We use Ryko Rain Shield and it is best to apply it last with only an RO pass to follow. No need to use any other wax product before or after. If you want the tri-wax show, it should be applied before the Rain Shield. Like many other knock off Surface sealants, the Rain Shield works better than the original. We apply with 90 PSI of air injected into the product.
It sounds like your calling Rain-X a knock off, Rain shield is the knock off. It compares more to Blue Coral's Velocity C.C. polish that it does to Rain-X. Since it doesn't compare to Rain-X you can't compare the application process. It only makes sense that if you are trying to bond to clear coat there shouldn't be anything on it. Not all 3x's are for show either, we offer a lo ph 3x conditioner to aid in drying and a 3x C.C. protectant which does what it says.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
RainX may be the best name for the "super sealants" but it is not the best one out there. Many of the so-called knock offs work much better and use less product. With any of them it is best to apply them after the tri foams are rinsed off. You can use less product as several posters have pointed out and the product works a little faster.

Tri foam conditioners do little more than clean the surface a little. Lo pH conditioners not only give additional cleaning but also lower the surface alkalinity which assists in the drying process. Sealants or clear coat protectants are distilled spirit based with water based silicones that offer some protection and assistance in drying. Foaming clear coat protectants can also be used as a tri foam. They offer similar qualities of a clear coat protectant with the addition of a foam "show". They are great to use as for at least one of the tri foams if you are having rinsing issues since they dissipate quickly and rinse much more easily than tri foam conditioners.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Randy,
You need to reread my post, I said:"Like many other knock off Surface sealants, the Rain Shield works better than the original." Rain-X is the original and is not the best of the surface sealants. It has the name recognition that can be good or bad. Some people will not want Rain-X on there car and may misunderstand the IBA version concept.
Rain shield is comparable to Rain-X, these are the new surface sealants and not the clear coat sealants of old.
We normally use tri foam wax as a show (not tri foam detergent) since it has dyes and needs to be rinsed with a good wax, CC protectorate or surface sealant. I am referring to the Ryko product line only.

Last edited:

randy64

Reaction score
In your opinion the Rain Shield is is best, in my opinion Rain-X is. No big suprise there we both make part of our living by selling them, so we hardly have an objective point of view. I have heard bad things about both products, generally they can be attributed to not being set up correctly. (too much will leave a residue)
So if we can agree to disagree and all other things are equal it comes down to name recognition, and Rain-X has it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
The RainX name has some benefit but not as much as their suppliers would have operators believe. Some motorists view it as a window treatment which the retail product still is. Suppliers also boast about revenure increases when using the product but I have seen significant revenue increases also from operators that choose an alternative product.

I know RainX supplies a marketing package with the initial purchase of the product but instead of paying such a high price for the product for each drum, an operator could probably devote the difference paid overall to additional marketing and achieve equal or better results for the money. I am not intending to knock Rain X but their superiority complex is getting old. There are many ways to increase revenues at a wash with RainX only one of the options.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
In your opinion the Rain Shield is is best, in my opinion Rain-X is. No big suprise there we both make part of our living by selling them, so we hardly have an objective point of view. I have heard bad things about both products, generally they can be attributed to not being set up correctly. (too much will leave a residue)
So if we can agree to disagree and all other things are equal it comes down to name recognition, and Rain-X has it.
Randy,
I have to agree with RPH as I stated the name recognition could be a negative or a positive. I did not say Rain Shield was the best, I said like other products it is better than Rain-X. Side by side comparisons have shown the Rain shield and other knock offs last longer per application. Most chemical companies took the Rain-x formula and improved it. Ryko has a free 5 gallon offer for anyone to try, check out the website and try the side by side for yourself to see. Make sure you inject air at 90 PSI to get the full effect.

Last edited:

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You are using way way to much. you can get good results with 1/2 oz to 1 oz. Make your dist. change it. At 2 oz you are throwing a quarter away every time somebody uses it. In this instance more is not better.

I have little control over the application process. All I can really do is change the strength of the solution and the speed of the gantry. We tried setting up with a pink tip and did not get satisfactory results. A purple was 90+% effective but it is 98% effective by moving to a yellow tip. However, we have eventually moved it back to purple as it seems to be plenty for the regulars. At these concentrations it produces a noticeable smell and nice orange tint. The local tunnels are applying it at close to this concentration (through foaming applicators)too as their dilution ratios and cost per car is only slightly lower than mine. I would agree that more is not always better but I have yet to see any build-up and the extra quarter it cost me is worth it to ensure th customer feels they are getting their money's worth($2.00 upgrade). My nearest IBA competitor is also using rain x and I bet they are spending half what I am per car. You can tell it too, my cars look much better than theirs.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Greg,

Does your RainX arch use K-Nozzles? That would improve the show. Have you tried using a foaming clear coat protectant for at least one of your foams? If not you might be able to reduce the RainX and still get as good or better results.

wash free or die

Reaction score
Randy,
You need to reread my post, I said:"Like many other knock off Surface sealants, the Rain Shield works better than the original." Rain-X is the original and is not the best of the surface sealants. It has the name recognition that can be good or bad. Some people will not want Rain-X on there car and may misunderstand the IBA version concept.
Rain shield is comparable to Rain-X, these are the new surface sealants and not the clear coat sealants of old.
We normally use tri foam wax as a show (not tri foam detergent) since it has dyes and needs to be rinsed with a good wax, CC protectorate or surface sealant. I am referring to the Ryko product line only.
Actually, Rain-X is a knock-off, not the original of the surface sealants. Simoniz created the first, Double Bond with Teflon. I've used it since it first came out and have never seen a reason to switch to a knock-off. Unlike Rain-X, it's reasonably priced, it works as well as any premium sealant out there, has the most powerful marketing name in Teflon, and offers a $3.00 rebate to my customers.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Actually, Rain-X is a knock-off, not the original of the surface sealants. Simoniz created the first, Double Bond with Teflon. I've used it since it first came out and have never seen a reason to switch to a knock-off. Unlike Rain-X, it's reasonably priced, it works as well as any premium sealant out there, has the most powerful marketing name in Teflon, and offers a $3.00 rebate to my customers.

How does the rebate work?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Wash Free of Die,

Have you tried or priced any of the other "super sealants? While the SImoniz Double Bond program seems like good marketing, the product does not perform as well as the super sealants on the market today. It is more like a foaming clear coat protectant than a super sealant. While the Teflon name may draw attention to the product it does not do anything in the way of protection or shine. Teflon is a powder that needs to be heated to be "melted down" after which it returns to a solid state when it cools down. While RainX might cost a little more, the other super sealants cost much less than Double Bond.

Bottom line, what works for you and your customers is great. Most of the brand named products cost more than the others. In addition to the benefit of being able to use the brand names, their marketing programs are already packaged. Spending some of the money saved by using the other brands on their own marketing gives an operator the ability to create a program they can customize to meet their individual needs.

In either case the key is repeat business. The better the product performance the better chance of customers buying it again. Marketing encourages them to purchase the service while performance keeps them coming back.

wash free or die

Reaction score
How does the rebate work?

Basically, we give the customer a Simoniz-supplied rebate form which they can fill out and return to Simoniz for $3.00. Since we only charge $3.00 for Double Bond, it essentially makes it free for the customer.

wash free or die

Reaction score
Wash Free of Die,

Have you tried or priced any of the other "super sealants? While the SImoniz Double Bond program seems like good marketing, the product does not perform as well as the super sealants on the market today. It is more like a foaming clear coat protectant than a super sealant. While the Teflon name may draw attention to the product it does not do anything in the way of protection or shine. Teflon is a powder that needs to be heated to be "melted down" after which it returns to a solid state when it cools down. While RainX might cost a little more, the other super sealants cost much less than Double Bond.

Bottom line, what works for you and your customers is great. Most of the brand named products cost more than the others. In addition to the benefit of being able to use the brand names, their marketing programs are already packaged. Spending some of the money saved by using the other brands on their own marketing gives an operator the ability to create a program they can customize to meet their individual needs.

In either case the key is repeat business. The better the product performance the better chance of customers buying it again. Marketing encourages them to purchase the service while performance keeps them coming back.
I agree with you that the use of "Teflon" is no more than a marketing gimmick, but I beg to differ with you on the performance. Rain-X is a good product, and it works, but in my experience, no better than Double Bond and it costs a lot more, literally twice as much. I've tried a couple of the others out there as well. (Armor All, Lustra) They all seem to be comparably priced and perform about the same. And honestly, if there was one out there much lower in cost, I'd be pretty skeptical of it's performance.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
OK lets get some facts. What is the cost per oz we are paying for RainX, WeatherShield, Durabond, etc and how many oz/car. I know the larger drum you buy the cheaper/oz it is, lets just stick to what you are buying.

I use RainX at a cost of $0.28/oz and use anywhere from half oz to one oz/car.

wash free or die

Reaction score
OK lets get some facts. What is the cost per oz we are paying for RainX, WeatherShield, Durabond, etc and how many oz/car. I know the larger drum you buy the cheaper/oz it is, lets just stick to what you are buying.

I pay $535.00 total for a 30 gal. drum of Teflon Double Bond. That's $0.14/oz. and applied at the same rate. Again, literally half the cost of Rain-X.

bigleo48

Reaction score
An update to my original post. A regular customer with two very-high end vehicles has used my wash with the rainx option and called me up to let me know that his wife who drives one of the cars imediately saw a big difference and they are both sold on it. That's the first time a customer has taken the time to call me and discuss one product of a wash with such emotion. Hopefully the word will spread fast.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayWatch

I pay $535.00 total for a 30 gal. drum of Teflon Double Bond. That's $0.14/oz. and applied at the same rate. Again, literally half the cost of Rain-X.
We sell Ryko Rain Shield at $0.18 per ounce, so for just a little more you could be using a surface sealant. You may even be able to reduce the amount per car if you can apply it as designed (90 PSI of air injected with the water).