What's new

RainX Experience

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

I recently put in the RainX option in my touchless. Here's what I have observed.

First, this stuff is hard to rinse off completely. A slow Spot-Free final doesn't do it.

Second, it comes out kinda tacky, so it customers should not try to wipe down their cars (some still do, even after the SFR and it's not required...old habits are hard to break). Ecolabs says it takes 24hr to completely cure, so I don't think it should be put on if you think it might rain. It cured on my car overnight.

Third, car MUST be clean. So a more complete wash is required with no soap or tri-foam residue present.

Finally, on tests of my vehicle, I am impressed with the finish. The whole car looks very good, no spots, shines and for some reason makes my tires look dressed!?

So far 20% of my customers are choosing it without any marketing yet.

I'm still not sure how long it will last, do any of you know by experience? I want to market this as a hand wax replacement.

BigLeo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big Leo

A hand wax replacement it is not. It may or may not be a good product; that's really for you and your customers to decide. For me, it was not worth the high cost and I switched back to a different paint sealant in my IBA.

Perhaps a way to market it is something that extends paint protection in between hand waxing.

Don't get me wrong; I'm a proponent of all waxes/sealants and protectants in the car wash and even though I own a detail shop, too, I mainly use the car wash protectants on my own cars. However, when I wax a car by hand with my favorite product (which happens to be Mothers), there's little comparison to Rain X or any other car wash product I have seen. IMO you are saying; "try our double cheeseburger; it's a filet mignon replacement!"

bigleo48

Reaction score
Well put!

So how long did the RainX last for you?

Big Leo

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I noticed the effects for about 2 weeks on my own car. one of the things i liked most was the way it made the paint feel slippery and smooth when i put my hand on the window frame while driving.

randy64

Reaction score
Third, car MUST be clean. So a more complete wash is required with no soap or tri-foam residue present.

Are you talking about a triple foam soap or clear coat? The reason I ask is Rain-X needs to be applied before any wax or C.C. products so it can bond to the cars finish.

Wash-A-Roo

Living off .25$
Reaction score
I bought the banner and the rainx pennants and made a new top wash thats 2.00 more than the "last" top wash. I got menu boards that have a "RAINX WASH" on them. Last Saturday we washes 198 cars and 70 of them were the rainx wash. 70 x 2= $140 extra dollars!!!almost paid for the rainx the first day....and customers love it!!! Has been getting better ever since. I feel like its a great product and yes there r cheaper products that bead even better (scotchplaid body guard)....but they don't have the rainx name and thats what customers see. Go all out with rainx banners and stuff, I even call it the rainx wash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I bought the banner and the rainx pennants and made a new top wash thats 2.00 more than the "last" top wash. I got menu boards that have a "RAINX WASH" on them. .
I just got $200 worth of free merchandising RAINX material from my distributor. They said it is an ecolab promotion. You might want to check on that and get your free promo stuff.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
When I bought my first drum of Rain-x, I got to pick $500 worth of free promotional materials from the Rain-x catalog.

bigleo48

Reaction score

Are you talking about a triple foam soap or clear coat? The reason I ask is Rain-X needs to be applied before any wax or C.C. products so it can bond to the cars finish.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
who r yall getting rainx from....im getting ripped on the free stuff!
If your equipment supplier doesn't know about it, call your regional ecolab rep and tell him to "educate" your distributor. I thought promo stuff was $400 last year but $500 may be right. I was told $200 this year.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score

randy64

Reaction score
Well, I don't setup washes that way so I have no experience. Here is why...Rain-x bonds rapidly to vehicle surface and the longer you can leave it in contact with the surface the better your results will be. In the Eco-Lab Technical Product Information Sheet it says "apply prior to drying agents, sealants and RO water or final rinse" it also states, "Greater distance/time from first rinse will enhance results"
Since you are using a 3x POLISH I would recomend Rain-x first.
I havn't heard anything about the tripple foam ph being a factor but I don't claim to know everything, the longer I do this job the less I know.
You could always try it the recommended way and see if you like it better. Thanks

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
RainX IS the next big thing. It is a great product and I am usually wary on chemicals. It shines everything on the car and yes the car must be clean first, however sales are up, way up, since installation and the best part is the way it sells itself. Yes, some materials were free, but we bought more with the increased revenue, and now we dont have to sell it like McDonald's would if they could. The name is what makes this stuff, well worth the time spent on install and the sticker shock. $1000 turned into $8000. Forget tax lien certificates, I want in on RainX.

BayWatch

Jedi apprentice
Reaction score
Oh, and if it cant be rinsed off, you likely have it too concentrated. Just because your distributor says 1 oz per car isnt always true. I have run less and it works just fine.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm diluting it through a hydrominder with yellow or purple tip, then appying it through a non foaming rain arch type applicator. I'm using almost 2 oz or raw product per car. I follow that with a slow pass of spot free rinse. I've had no problems with rinsing or buildup.

Etowah