What's new

Hot water storage failed

MEP001

Reaction score
$6000 to install a $1200 tank is an absolute ripoff. I've changed out dozens of those, and it usually takes two or three hours. If they're wanting $3k for the tank, they're getting $1k an hour.

Bricks

Reaction score
$6000 to install a $1200 tank is an absolute ripoff. I've changed out dozens of those, and it usually takes two or three hours. If they're wanting $3k for the tank, they're getting $1k an hour.
It says in the quote to deduct 1800 if I provide the tank. Do I need to be certified in plumbing or anything to make this repair? See the bottom inlet and outlet copper? Should I cut those In the middle and repair with crimp or shark bite or do they have to be soldered? Thanks!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Is there some reason you can't rip it all out and replace with a 199K water heater? I don't know that it would save you any money, but would alleviate the concern over your remaining 17 year old boiler. You could probably sell it and get a little something for it.

Bricks

Reaction score
Is there some reason you can't rip it all out and replace with a 199K water heater? I don't know that it would save you any money, but would alleviate the concern over your remaining 17 year old boiler. You could probably sell it and get a little something for it.
I never knew I had that option. Thanks!

MEP001

Reaction score
Do I need to be certified in plumbing or anything to make this repair?
I don't know what your city/state requires. I was never licensed and did it anyway. Only certain things need permits and inspection like an ASME certified pressure vessel or repair/maintenance on a backflow preventer. Replacing a component like a regular storage tank doesn't even get noticed.

Do I need to be certified in plumbing or anything to make this repair? See the bottom inlet and outlet copper? Should I cut those In the middle and repair with crimp or shark bite or do they have to be soldered? Thanks!
I would solder in copper/brass unions. There are three in place to easily unhook the tank, and you could cut the two lower pipes to remove and replace the tank. If you're really lucky and things line up, you can just screw the fittings back into the tank and reconnect the pipes. If the lower two don't line up, cut the pipes behind the elbows on the right, then you can angle and extend as needed. You could probably do everything with Shark Bite fittings.

If your boiler fails, I would recommend keeping the tank and replace the boiler with one or two on-demand heaters and use the existing pump to circulate through the heaters. They're inexpensive, don't require inspection in most states since they're under 200,000 BTU, and they're 98% efficient instead of about 80% like your current boiler.

OurTown

Reaction score
In Ohio you can't legally do plumbing, electrical or HVAC without a license unless it is your residence. I replaced my tank myself and the state inspector never said anything on the next inspection. The boiler is what they seem to focus on and that is what is registered with a state tag.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
... What would you do?
What "would" I do? I had a boiler and storage tank. I replaced the boiler with an instantaneous, and replaced the storage tank.

I probably can’t do the job by myself though.
BS. Sorry to be harsh, but this is about as simple a job as it could be. Man up and do it. Lots of help available here, just ask.
Plumb in a bypass, use cold water for the wash while you get the storage tank sorted out, save yourself $6000 and learn how to solder at the same time. If the boiler dies later, then deal with that later. (fyi, those raypack boilers last forever)

Bricks

Reaction score
What "would" I do? I had a boiler and storage tank. I replaced the boiler with an instantaneous, and replaced the storage tank.

BS. Sorry to be harsh, but this is about as simple a job as it could be. Man up and do it. Lots of help available here, just ask.
Plumb in a bypass, use cold water for the wash while you get the storage tank sorted out, save yourself $6000 and learn how to solder at the same time. If the boiler dies later, then deal with that later. (fyi, those raypack boilers last forever)
You’re right. I probably can do it myself. If I can use shark bite or crimp fittings, then yes, I can. The hard part will be precariously balancing it on the blocks. I think I should put several more down. Thanks

washnshine

Reaction score
Do I need to be certified in plumbing or anything to make this repair? So
No, but owning a wash and working on these things will get you the skill and confidence to do more of your own stuff down the road.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
SharkBites are Mickey Mouse fittings for this job. Go to a plumbing supply and buy pro-press fittings and rent the press tool for the day. You won’t be sorry. If you don’t know what I’m talking about watch a couple of YouTube videos.

Bricks

Reaction score
SharkBites are Mickey Mouse fittings for this job. Go to a plumbing supply and buy pro-press fittings and rent the press tool for the day. You won’t be sorry. If you don’t know what I’m talking about watch a couple of YouTube videos.
I went to a plumbing supply place last week and a plumber overheard my conversation. He followed me to the wash and called the aforementioned supply store and told them to set out two dielectric union gaskets and two 1 1/2 propress fittings and he would stop by and press them for free. Monday I picked up the fittings and had the tank in and ready! I ended up unhooking one line at the taco pump and only had one cut to make. Being the introvert that I am, i ordered a 1 1/2” shark bite and had it within 24hrs to my door. So maybe it’ll fail. I don’t know. If those pro press machines would make hydraulic hose ends, I’d buy one myself. But in the meantime…Hot dog hot dog hot diggity dog. Oh toodles.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can buy crimpers to make hoses, but it's so cheap to order them from Kleen-Rite that I can't get the components for the same price as their hose assembly.

Last edited:

water guy

Reaction score
Sure the Electronic Anode Rod that I use basically is a titanium rod with a low voltage transformer that creates a current.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Bricks,

On this forum 2Biz in Ohio has his instantaneous units heat both his water & his de-icer if I remember correctly. Do a search ... he has some tremendously helpful posts on this forum!

Another consideration ... ideally, you can sort the issues out enough &/or find the right person in your local area who could possibly assist you with a "not too expensive" of a boiler that with external BTU transferring heat exchangers. Something we never regretted doing... even though it was a bit of a learning curve - challenge. Since the early 90s we have been using two very compact 100% stainless steel Spirec Brand fluid to fluid heat exchangers piped inline ... They were the best fit for our operation factoring in ... night time when the BTUs are more needed for the de-icer ... the domestic water heating needs are less & more needed during the day. When the domestic aquastat calls it could be routed as priority with use of low cost relays ... mind boggling electronics ... probably not even needed!

It does look like Natural Gas Costs could be going up since the current washington dc administration appears to be messing up the energy independence that was diligently built up in recent times.

Last edited: