What's new

Hot water storage failed

washnshine

Reaction score
I walked into the ER this morning for yet another break down. What would you do if you were me? 115 gallon storage tank is leaking. View attachment 4374
Where is the leak coming from on the tank? Inlet, outlet, pressure overflow, drain spigot, actual crack in the tank itself, valve etc.

Bricks

Reaction score
Where is the leak coming from on the tank? Inlet, outlet, pressure overflow, drain spigot, actual crack in the tank itself, valve etc.
It appears to be the tank itself.

washnshine

Reaction score
It says 2004. Should I just replace it or try a tankless setup?
There are plenty of operators on this site who have experience with tankless and will chime in. It will depend on usage, peak demand etc. to see what you will need. Is your current tank keeping up with your need?

Bricks

Reaction score
There are plenty of operators on this site who have experience with tankless and will chime in. It will depend on usage, peak demand etc. to see what you will need. Is your current tank keeping up with your need?
I believe so. Randy sent me a link to a replacement tank. Maybe I should stick with what has worked since 2004.

MEP001

Reaction score
Remember to change the anode rod(s) in the tank every two years.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Your cheapest option is to simply replace. To do anything else will cost you four times that minimum because to go tankless you'll need several units plus install. A high efficiency/tank unit like a HTP will cost $4k plus.

Check this one out:

Rheem Rudd Storage Tank, Tank Type Pressurized, Model ST120 | eBay

I would offer him $1000.

Bricks

Reaction score
Your cheapest option is to simply replace. To do anything else will cost you four times that minimum because to go tankless you'll need several units plus install. A high efficiency/tank unit like a HTP will cost $4k plus.

Check this one out:

Rheem Rudd Storage Tank, Tank Type Pressurized, Model ST120 | eBay

I would offer him $1000.
Thanks! I just asked the seller how much freight would be to here. Waiting for a reply before I make an offer. I just got my first quote for parts and labor $6000 -$1800 if I provide the tank. Now I’m in full blown cheapskate mode. Time to start watching soldering tutorials. I soldered in high school and did ok but recently hooked up a filter with 3/4” copper and couldn’t get it to seal..had to go the shark bite route. This stuff is like 1 1/4-1 1/2.

washnshine

Reaction score
I soldered in high school and did ok but recently hooked up a filter with 3/4” copper and couldn’t get it to seal..had to go the shark bite route. This stuff is like 1 1/4-1 1/2.
It’s all in the prep. Remove the burrs, steel wool and flux!

Bricks

Reaction score
It’s all in the prep. Remove the burrs, steel wool and flux!
To my surprise, shark bite fitting are available up to 2”. That may be the way to go. I’m going to try and put a bushing in the top of the tank and thread a hook in it. Then use my engine hoist to straddle it and lift it over the bottom pipes. I’m going to do my best to keep all existing connections. My neighbor who is a retired plumber doesn’t think the fittings on the bottom of the tank (inlet and outlet) will survive. If anyone objects to the use of shark bite fittings on this project please tell me why. I just can’t afford the $6000. My dad says he’ll pay it, but that’s not going to teach me a damn thing. Thanks

Rudy

Reaction score
Ditto to replacing the anodes regularly. My first tank lasted 8 years. I'm still on my second one 20 years later, but I replace the anodes with magnesium rods every 2 years.

One problem replacing the tank....check the size of the boiler feeding the storage tank. If it's over a certain size (199K BTU????), it needs to be ASME certified. That stupid certification really jacks the price up.

I would hate for you to buy a non certified tank....install it....and then learn that it all has to be ripped out and reinstalled with a certified one.

Bricks

Reaction score
Ditto to replacing the anodes regularly. My first tank lasted 8 years. I'm still on my second one 20 years later, but I replace the anodes with magnesium rods every 2 years.

One problem replacing the tank....check the size of the boiler feeding the storage tank. If it's over a certain size (199K BTU????), it needs to be ASME certified. That stupid certification really jacks the price up.

I would hate for you to buy a non certified tank....install it....and then learn that it all has to be ripped out and reinstalled with a certified one.
It’s inspected annually. Good point!

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
There are 2" Shark Bite fittings, but there are also 2" Press-Fit fittings that are a LOT cheaper. You can rent the Press-Fit tool from Home Depot for around $50 a day, which is about the cost of one 2" Shark Bite coupling.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
... You can rent the Press-Fit tool from Home Depot for around $50 a day, which is about the cost of one 2" Shark Bite coupling.
Good advice. Soldering is easy, but if I was planning to learn & do a lot of repairs, I'd just buy a good press fit tool. I've done enough plumbing over the last 30-40 years to pay for it 10 times over.

soapy

Reaction score
If you do solder the copper remember that the solder will flow towards the heat so don't apply the heat right at the joint but to the side of it until it heats up then apply the solder to the joint. I like to use Maff gas as it burns hotter and work on the larger pipe sizes better.

Bricks

Reaction score
Good advice. Soldering is easy, but if I was planning to learn & do a lot of repairs, I'd just buy a good press fit tool. I've done enough plumbing over the last 30-40 years to pay for it 10 times over.
Here’s my concern. What if the boiler has one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel? If dad insists on hiring it done instead of helping me with labor (it’s my wash and I make the payments) I probably can’t do the job by myself though. So $6000 for the tank install and who knows for the boiler. Should I go tankless? What would you do?