What's new

Hot water storage failed

HeyVern

Reaction score
Get to know the counter guys at a local plumbing supply, it may be a little more expensive in the beginning, but once you get to know them you'll get better pricing and they're always good about answering questions and explaining things. They'll also let you borrow tools without charge once they know you and, if you do need a plumber for something, they can recommend a good one. Soldering is easy just make sure everything is clean and fluxed. Personally, I would use Pro Press, they're even easier and faster.

slash007

Reaction score
I had the same model tank and it failed at the 11 year mark. Bought the exact same unit on Zoro and replaced it myself. Being the same model, I didn't have to change any of the plumbing or solder anything. Just removed the fittings and unions and put them back. So far so good 6 years in.

water guy

Reaction score
Get to know the counter guys at a local plumbing supply, it may be a little more expensive in the beginning, but once you get to know them you'll get better pricing and they're always good about answering questions and explaining things. They'll also let you borrow tools without charge once they know you and, if you do need a plumber for something, they can recommend a good one. Soldering is easy just make sure everything is clean and fluxed. Personally, I would use Pro Press, they're even easier and faster.
What a peach

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Which does what?
Tradition anode rods work electro-chemically, and are sacrificial, ie they get used up over time and need to be replaced periodically.
The powered rods work electronically, the current does the work so theoretically they dont need to be replaced.
No I dont have any personal experience with the electronic ones, cant say if they are really better/worth the $.

Bricks

Reaction score
Bricks,

On this forum 2Biz in Ohio has his instantaneous units heat both his water & his de-icer if I remember correctly. Do a search ... he has some tremendously helpful posts on this forum!

Another consideration ... ideally, you can sort the issues out enough &/or find the right person in your local area who could possibly assist you with a "not too expensive" of a boiler that with external BTU transferring heat exchangers. Something we never regretted doing... even though it was a bit of a learning curve - challenge. Since the early 90s we have been using two very compact 100% stainless steel Spirec Brand fluid to fluid heat exchangers piped inline ... They were the best fit for our operation factoring in ... night time when the BTUs are more needed for the de-icer ... the domestic water heating needs are less & more needed during the day. When the domestic aquastat calls it could be routed as priority with use of low cost relays ... mind boggling electronics ... probably not even needed!

It does look like Natural Gas Costs could be going up since the current washington dc administration appears to be messing up the energy independence that was diligently built up in recent times.
Thank you !! I replaced the tank myself and all is going well. A member sent me a link to one on EBay. I ended up getting it for 1025 plus 377 shipping . I had to buy one shark bite 1-1/2” and two dielectric union gaskets. So thankfully it was much cheaper than the $6000 quote. I hope natural gas doesn’t go up. This business is already expensive enough.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thank you !! I replaced the tank myself and all is going well. A member sent me a link to one on EBay. I ended up getting it for 1025 plus 377 shipping . I had to buy one shark bite 1-1/2” and two dielectric union gaskets. So thankfully it was much cheaper than the $6000 quote. I hope natural gas doesn’t go up. This business is already expensive enough.
Good job. Glad it worked out. Not to rain on your parade, but we all are facing this - the last report I heard has natural gas going up 30%.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm just glad we didn't get massive gas bills during the freeze. Several natural gas power plants had to shut down because the cost went up 10,000% (Yes, 100 times normal).

Bricks

Reaction score
I had the same model tank and it failed at the 11 year mark. Bought the exact same unit on Zoro and replaced it myself. Being the same model, I didn't have to change any of the plumbing or solder anything. Just removed the fittings and unions and put them back. So far so good 6 years in.
That’s encouraging! Thank you

Bricks

Reaction score
Good job. Glad it worked out. Not to rain on your parade, but we all are facing this - the last report I heard has natural gas going up 30%.
Thanks!! I just tried out the floor heat today. I should keep it turned down as low as possible. The soap delivery/lead technician said he’d keep it at 50 degrees. I nodded in agreement but was thinking “no freaking way”!

Stan Alan

Reaction score
I use the Shark Bite XL fittings quite often. Supply House .com good place to get them from