What's new

Crypto pay ..... Count up or down ?

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Pros and Cons of count up or down? Minimum charge and maximum charge ? Just wondering what most of the industry is doing?

MEP001

Reaction score
Count up. Charge an extra quarter for startup and give same time as cash on CC and add increments of 50¢ so most of the fees get absorbed. There are almost never any charges under $2.50. Raised max charge to $15 after I added a programmable relay to end the CC when stop is selected (which also completely stopped calls about being charged $10 for a 4-minute wash).

There are no pros to count down. Count up is all pros. Customers only have to swipe once and they can wash 'til done. There's less starting the bay over and over, bucket-washing or dry foam brushing between.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Bays - Count up same as cash. $10.00 max Vacs $2.00 min cc start $1.00 cash $5 Max.

OurTown

Reaction score
I remember using another wash with count up and not liking how much I spent. With that in mind when we installed Cryptopay a year ago at our wash we went with count up. We also thought that people might convert easier because it worked like coins. After seeing how people use it for a year I think we made a mistake by going with count up for reasons that Mep said. We have decided to change it to count up when we do our major remodel in a few months. We might raise the minimum from $2 to $3 but won't charge an extra quarter to start because we think it could discourage CC usage. Does anyone do count up on their vacs? Why wouldn't you?

MEP001

Reaction score
I've never done CC on vacs, but if I did I'd do count down. One reason is that not many people vacuum more than two cycles. Another is that it makes it very simple to add CC to a combo vac since it's just sending coin pulses. I would charge double for CC to help offset processing fees, which I've recommended to a couple local guys who I installed Cryptopay for and they have been happy with it.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
raised max charge to $15 after i added a programmable relay to end the cc when stop is selected (which also completely stopped calls about being charged $10 for a 4-minute wash).
don't be teasin MEP,we need details!!!!!

slash007

Reaction score
don't be teasin MEP,we need details!!!!!
I've been wanting to find a way to have the cc stop when the stop button is pressed forever, but had no idea how. Crypotpay told me it wasn't possible. I figured it can't be hard, but would likely have to open the swiper and I didnt' want to do that.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've been wanting to find a way to have the cc stop when the stop button is pressed forever, but had no idea how. Crypotpay told me it wasn't possible. I figured it can't be hard, but would likely have to open the swiper and I didnt' want to do that.
I already modified some Cryptopay units for someone, it probably voided the warranty but he doesn't care. They're easy to open up, and I just snipped the two gray wires off the board and soldered them to the switch contacts. Someone else asked me to do the same thing but he plans to use the analytics so I'll have to add a couple wires, should be easy and room enough. I took the motor wire to one input of the relay and jumpered all the other layer 2 switch outputs and put those on another input. The ladder program waits until it gets power from the switch, then when it sees no power from the switch for five seconds it closes the swiper button circuit for 1/10th of a second. In theory one relay could do four bays, but I plan to use one for every two bays to keep costs down and mount it in the meter box.

I did the same with a Hamilton D.A.N. years ago, used one relay per bay, also used it for a motor on/off delay and (since it had a common air solenoid for presoak and tire cleaner) used it to blow down the bay hose after the bay is idle for one minute so tire cleaner and presoak only take 4 seconds to reach the gun.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I count up at one wash and count down at the other. The count down location I get multiple calls a day about the hold put on the account for the max that I charge per swipe. Yes, signs are posted and my speech to them is almost verbatim what the sign says. The count down location I have the preauthorization set to my start value of $2, I get zero calls from customers now at that location.

chaz

Reaction score
I count up at one wash and count down at the other. The count down location I get multiple calls a day about the hold put on the account for the max that I charge per swipe. Yes, signs are posted and my speech to them is almost verbatim what the sign says. The count down location I have the preauthorization set to my start value of $2, I get zero calls from customers now at that location.

I assume you mean you get calls at the count of location?! I do count up and do get some calls but have very clear signage near swiper. With count up I get higher spend....helps offset c/c fees. $2 is way cheap......especially by the time u pay c/c fees.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Count up $ spent is what makes sense to me. The customer knows how much they spent and that is logical to me.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I went from another system that just displays time used to crytopay displaying $spent. As a rule the vast majority of customers love it. CC revenues are up significantly. The customer is much more comfortable knowing how much they're spending, and will actually spend more because of it. I do on rare occasion get a call from someone who thinks they got charged $30 for a car wash, then I have to explain that they got to look for the decimal and actually they spent thirty cents.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
@chaz - yes, calls from the count up location. i do agree you'll get more spend from a count up configuration, but i do get quite a bit more calls about the supposed charge which is actually a hold. i do have signage, but people tend to ignore it and check their account on their phone as they leave or at home, etc..

JoshsWashes

Reaction score
I do count up and $3 min and $12 max. I’m actually thinking about going up to $15. See a lot of people hit the $12 and re-swipe for a few more $$$.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
So just to clarify for some of us used to our Dixmor 7s counting down from the paid for time shutting off on zero time left.

On count up, if a customer puts in a $5 bill the Dixmor 7s start at zero time, counts up & then the Dixmor stops immediately when it reaches the paid for time??? Then the Dixmor 7 readout again will revert to its programmed Please insert whatever etc.???

JoshsWashes

Reaction score
Not sure of your question but Cryptopay is for credit cards and the question is always whether to set it for count down or count up.

Count down- swipe card for predetermined amount ($3 or what ever your starting price is) then the customer just pushes the button on the Cryptopay swiper to add another quarter on their credit card.

Count up- customer swipes card and is charged for the amount of time used until the either hit the stop button on the swiper or reach the predetermined max amount (my max is set to $12).

In my opinion count up is the only way to go. I’ve had it installed for a little over a year now and have never had a customer complaint about being over charged because they forgot to hit the stop button.

I also think count up is better because the last minute alarm never sounds so they never feel rushed!

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Not sure of your question but Cryptopay is for credit cards and the question is always whether to set it for count down or count up.

Count down- swipe card for predetermined amount ($3 or what ever your starting price is) then the customer just pushes the button on the Cryptopay swiper to add another quarter on their credit card.

Count up- customer swipes card and is charged for the amount of time used until the either hit the stop button on the swiper or reach the predetermined max amount (my max is set to $12).

In my opinion count up is the only way to go. I’ve had it installed for a little over a year now and have never had a customer complaint about being over charged because they forgot to hit the stop button.

I also think count up is better because the last minute alarm never sounds so they never feel rushed!

JoshsWashes & others,

Very few of the Cryptopay-Dixmor 7s combos on self service bays coin boxes have CC as the only option.

So... the car wash customer puts in a $5 bill ... does it count up or ...count down like those of us who have no CC acceptance?

So as the time counts up or down ... what would happen if a customer put the $5 in & then decided to pay for more time before the countdown or up was finished. As a currently non credit card accepting facility & one of us walking by the bays very frequently ... I am pretty sure that could be a scenario.

I am not sure if without Cryptopay if my Dixmor 7s can even be programmed to count up for cash only customers ... maybe an astute Dixmor fellow operator can set me straight on that also???