What's new

Crypto pay ..... Count up or down ?

MEP001

Reaction score
JoshsWashes & others,

Very few of the Cryptopay-Dixmor 7s combos on self service bays coin boxes have CC as the only option.
I'm sure almost none of them do.

So... the car wash customer puts in a $5 bill ... does it count up or ...count down like those of us who have no CC acceptance?
Cash always counts down.

So as the time counts up or down ... what would happen if a customer put the $5 in & then decided to pay for more time before the countdown or up was finished. As a currently non credit card accepting facility & one of us walking by the bays very frequently ... I am pretty sure that could be a scenario.
Moot since cash counts down.

I am not sure if without Cryptopay if my Dixmor 7s can even be programmed to count up for cash only customers ... maybe an astute Dixmor fellow operator can set me straight on that also???
You are hereby set straight. Cash can't count up.

JoshsWashes

Reaction score
JoshsWashes & others,

Very few of the Cryptopay-Dixmor 7s combos on self service bays coin boxes have CC as the only option.
It is a cash OR credit card thing. Can’t do both on count up. Not sure on count down. I would imagine you could because the swiper is just sending coin pulses to the timer.

And just to clarify I accept coin and credit cards in my bays. (No bills)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You are hereby set straight. Cash can't count up.
So as the time counts up ... what would happen if a customer started to us the credit card then before he stopped the charge ... he decided to get rid of his quarters & put them in while the timing upwards was activated by Cryptopay???

How would the Dixmor 7 deal with it. Would it be smart enough to hold the quarters that were put "in memory" & then start the count down specifically for the quarters or would the customer lose the credit he should get for his quarters that he was trying to get rid of but still get some value out of them???

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Mike, I think you are overthinking this.
At this point until we get that specific answer ... I honestly think that the scenario of coins inserted before CC is up ... could become a lost money call from a customer from a less attended place than ours is. It might even be a factor for deciding to or to not go the credit card option route for some self service operators' coin boxes.

chaz

Reaction score
At this point until we get that specific answer ... I honestly think that the scenario of coins inserted before CC is up ... could become a lost money call from a customer from a less attended place than ours is. It might even be a factor for deciding to or to not go the credit card option route for some self service operators' coin boxes.
Mike you ar definitely over thinking this. Perhaps visit a wash with coins and c/c in hand and test your theory. I can’t imagine in a million years....a c/c person deciding mid wash to add cash. I know with my Hamilton DAN set up you can’t mix cash and credit. You’d need to do seperate transactions

slash007

Reaction score
If you start with cash then swipe your card, you lose whatever time you had left for cash and the cc time starts. Seen that happen maybe twice in 5 years.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you start with cash then swipe your card, you lose whatever time you had left for cash and the cc time starts. Seen that happen maybe twice in 5 years.
Right, and coins deposited with the CC running are simply lost, but I have yet to have a complaint or hear from anyone that any of their customers complained. That's one of the few things the Hamilton D.A.N. offers that I like, it cuts power to the coin acceptor when CC is running, and the swiper is disabled with the timer running on cash.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
It happens, but it is such a rare event that in no way would that stop me form installing a particular brand of CC acceptor.

IMO, the only operator that should be questioning CC transactions in the bay is owner of ghetto washes.

I HOPE to be CC only within a decade- it removes a major incentive for thieves and is a huge time saver.

MEP001

Reaction score
I HOPE to be CC only within a decade- it removes a major incentive for thieves and is a huge time saver.
I just picked up a wash in a pretty bad, low-income area, the type where most of the customers work day labor for cash, so I'm pretty well screwed there. Adding CC acceptance is high on my list but I'll probably have to replace the meter boxes.

SLEDGE

Reaction score
Count up seems the overwhelming favorite. As to the mixing of cash and credit/debit I doubt it happens often enough to make a difference in whether to have cc or not. If so then maybe add to your signage stating not to mix cash with credit/debit.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have had people ask if they could use three or four quarters and then swipe their card for the rest of the start-up, so some signage wouldn't be a bad idea.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I have had people ask if they could use three or four quarters and then swipe their card for the rest of the start-up, so some signage wouldn't be a bad idea.
My thoughts also.

It is possible that Dixmor's firmware sometime in the future could address that ... albeit infrequent chance ... consideration. It is surprising how a brilliant programmer can make something a "100% no issue" just with the resource within their existing device. I know FasCard in the laundromat industry interacts with & logs coins along with their card abilities which could possibly include the ability to deal with the combo coin & card in our industry count up count down & no loss of money.

We have gotten numerous calls from some of our less attended self service competitors on their Cryptopay acceptance & sometimes the person is so hysterical they have trouble listening to us when we explain ... it is not our car wash & that she or he called the wrong "damsel in distress" telephone number. I am not just pretending like these are occurrences ... it actually is true!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I’m not sure how much more function you can get out of the LED-7. I’ve always wanted to be able to cancel time remaining, with the remote. I’ve voiced this numerous times at the shows, but apparently it can’t be done.

Yeah, I know I can do it with a magnet, but the remote is what I have in my pocket when I’m working at a wash.

OurTown

Reaction score
I’m not sure how much more function you can get out of the LED-7. I’ve always wanted to be able to cancel time remaining, with the remote. I’ve voiced this numerous times at the shows, but apparently it can’t be done.

Yeah, I know I can do it with a magnet, but the remote is what I have in my pocket when I’m working at a wash.
If you have Cryptopay and an attendant card then you can swipe it and cancel the time with the button.

OurTown

Reaction score
It doesn't do that if you are using count up on. It adds the credit card start time to remaining cash time.

MEP001

Reaction score

Tape a magnet to the remote.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I can't imagine how you could convey that on a sign. I think it would just be confusing to the other 999,999 customers that it's not intended for. When I enabled grace time, I had signs made up stating

"For up to 20 seconds after time has expired, equipment will restart for 25¢."

I can't count the number of people that said that they put in another quarter (too late) and it didn't give them their 20 seconds. I just took the signs down and gave up on educating.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I.B.,

On our PLC touchscreen dog wash the huge numbers that pop up on the screen counting down from 60 to zero seconds along with its within proximity grace period "minimum amount temporarily not needed" sign ... seems to have worked well for over 9 years now. It is more customer friendly than last minute alert IMHO.

I am not saying that would be practical for the tougher environment self service car wash bay though.

You are right ... signs can be read differently by different people. I got a tongue lashing by a supposedly masters degree in english man on my new faceplate on my test revisioned washing machine in our laundromat. He loudly proclaimed he could not understand any of it. I calmly spoon fed him through each word within each instruct on my somewhat cartoonishly done with graphics faceplate.

Last edited: