What's new

Why isn’t my self serve working out?

MEP001

Reaction score
You don't need to lower the time. They'll notice. Increasing the start amount will also be noticed, but should get less pushback. Do you get a lot of people who bring buckets and tie up a bay? A higher startup will get more money from them each visit. Accepting credit cards will make the biggest difference IMO.

ArthursCarwash

Reaction score
Does your landlord also own/operate the liquor store…?

Is the property owner at all receptive to structuring a sale/purchase of the property…?

I would not encourage you or anyone to make significant capital improvements in someone else’s property….. (unless of course the cash flow was so significant to justify the $6k a month in rent….)
Exactly that, I haven’t done any of these upgrades because shovelling money into Boris’ property makes my blood boil.
The list of improvements, replacements, and repairs Ive made would make your head spin.

Damned if I do, damned if I don’t.
He owns the strip mall yes, and most other tenants have gone through repair and renovation woes also. Slumlord.
Other tenants do quite well here these days, and I’m hoping to see that problem behind me soon.

ArthursCarwash

Reaction score
You don't need to lower the time. They'll notice. Increasing the start amount will also be noticed, but should get less pushback. Do you get a lot of people who bring buckets and tie up a bay? A higher startup will get more money from them each visit. Accepting credit cards will make the biggest difference IMO.
Nah, I don’t put up with bucket washing or unnecessary mess makers.

$2 to start- starting tomorrow. Will update the results

traveler17

Reaction score
All sound advice posted here. I can’t get over that lease cost. That seems extremely high. Is that the normal in your area??

ArthursCarwash

Reaction score
All sound advice posted here. I can’t get over that lease cost. That seems extremely high. Is that the normal in your area??
In my guts I’ve always thought $4000 per month feels correct, but it’s not out to lunch at the rate it’s at either.
Approx. $0.95/ sqft.
Who’s to say I guess. I’m definitely getting a better deal than the last three tenants who have tried this place out since 2006.

washnshine

Reaction score
I checked out your Facebook page and saw a lot of pictures of the artwork and building. Consider posting some pictures of the actual wash being used - people using the foam brush, high pressure wand etc. Maybe also some pictures of cars that were just washed and are shining and bright. If you are using social media to any extent, it might be good to really focus it in on the service that you provide.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
In the states all our SS washes are visible from road you see the other customers washing soap going everywhere and it looks busy and attracts a chain reaction as I call it.
Your inside a building is an entirely different concept to me and I see why bc of the bad winters. Are you offering premium chemicals not mail order? Hot water? If you Installed & charge for the vacuums outside at a reasonable rate I think you will do better and people driving by will know it’s a Carwash. How much longer is your lease and are you stuck with it until then?

MEP001

Reaction score
I checked out your Facebook page and saw a lot of pictures of the artwork and building. Consider posting some pictures of the actual wash being used - people using the foam brush, high pressure wand etc. Maybe also some pictures of cars that were just washed and are shining and bright. If you are using social media to any extent, it might be good to really focus it in on the service that you provide.
You can also advertise on Facebook really cheap, like $1 a day. That will target people who live near you. It's important to have a nice image, because a lot will like it just for the image, but the result is the same, all their friends will see it.

KFPanda

Reaction score
Here is the lowest quote I’ve received for installing credit card systems in each bay.

Might as well be a million.

Is this out to lunch?
Maybe you guys know a way to cut this in half using different products?
Well an alternative would be Monex, 550 per reader x 7 = $3850 usd + 350 for router = $4200 and you install them.

KFPanda

Reaction score
Yeah, I’m no stranger to power tools- no doubt that I’m capable of the installation.

Currently making phone calls to find out who can supply this brand.

Thanks KFPanda

You can get them right from KR, it's just a few holes in your coin box front plate and a few wire taps. Install the router antenna somewhere the terminals can hit it by wifi and can get 4g signal and good to go.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd recommend Cryptopay. You can install it on your existing doors as long as there's room to swipe the card. $400 per bay plus $400 for the coordinator. Start with one bay and add more as you can. Installation is as easy as drilling three holes and wiring is the same as connecting a coin acceptor. If it increases your income, then you can find an affordable box and build it up yourself for maybe $500 per bay.

ArthursCarwash

Reaction score
I'd recommend Cryptopay. You can install it on your existing doors as long as there's room to swipe the card. $400 per bay plus $400 for the coordinator. Start with one bay and add more as you can. Installation is as easy as drilling three holes and wiring is the same as connecting a coin acceptor. If it increases your income, then you can find an affordable box and build it up yourself for maybe $500 per bay.
Thanks MEP, I really hoped to have count up timers along with the CC acceptors, but wouldn’t mind going this route if it gets my foot in the door.

KFPanda

Reaction score
Monex has the integrated tap though... that's why I went monex. I've noticed when doing cashier duty lots of people use cash app, Google pay, Apple pay on their phones now.

MEP001

Reaction score
Monex does sound like a better solution overall. Being able to purchase a larger amount of time up front would be better than count-down and the customer having to swipe to add time. You wouldn't need a display timer.

KFPanda

Reaction score
Monex does sound like a better solution overall. Being able to purchase a larger amount of time up front would be better than count-down and the customer having to swipe to add time. You wouldn't need a display timer.
Exactly, he wouldnt have to update his coin boxes if he slaps a monex on it.

KFPanda

Reaction score
I think the monex unit (assuming they do hold up) is the best you can get for the money right now. Cryptopay's tap reader is a good retrofit for existing setups, but why would you go with 2 pieces and no display vs 1 interactive unit that's cheaper.

ArthursCarwash

Reaction score
I think the monex unit (assuming they do hold up) is the best you can get for the money right now. Cryptopay's tap reader is a good retrofit for existing setups, but why would you go with 2 pieces and no display vs 1 interactive unit that's cheaper.
Thanks Panda, and Mep.
Ball is rolling, and I’ll keep you guys in the loop. Appreciate the input, thank you!