What's new

Who makes their own hoses??

dogwasher

Reaction score
Just purchased a used Parker Karry Crimper...should I buy Parker Hose and Parker Fittings? Or can I use Kleenrite hose and fittings?

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I've had the same crimper for several years. I usually use Goodyear Neptune 3000. No particular reason other than K/R has it and I get free shipping. I've crimped fittings on other brands of hose with no issues as well. I also make my own foam brush hoses with it too. It is very easy to use and I have saved a ton just by salvaging hoses instead of going to a store to have a new one made. I buy my fittings from Universal Hose. They have a generic brand fitting that's a little cheaper.

MEP001

Reaction score
Any hose that's correct for the fitting will work - only the proper crimp fittings will work with the crimper. If Kleen-Rite sells fittings that are made to work with a Parker crimper, they should be fine.

Windtrax crimp fittings are Parker.

I don't make my own bay hoses - I have a hand swager, but it ends up costing more to buy the parts than to order pre-made hoses.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I make my own ydraulic hoses for the tunnel because the lengths vary so much it's hard to have a spare. For Bay HP and FB I buy them pre made and keep spares on hand. There is little or no savings by buying the parts.

mac

Reaction score
So don't any of you use the reusable fittings for the hose? My techs carry a few fittings and some hose and can make up anything on the spot. No heavy crimper to lug around.

MEP001

Reaction score
mac said:
So don't any of you use the reusable fittings for the hose?
The reusable fittings cost more than the swage fittings, and they're harder to screw together than screwing down my swager.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
For me it was worth getting a hydraulic crimper and all the necessary components to make a hose. For each of my bays, there are (5) different lengths of HP hose from the pump to the gun in the bay. So keeping one of each stocked is out of the question. I keep all the necessary fittings and HP hose to make one when needed. A bay is not down any more than an hour while I take the hose off, make the new one, then install it.

I can remember getting a 2' hose made up at our local John Deere store, cost me over $20 bucks. That helped with the decision to make my own!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
For the hoses that run from the equipment room to the bays I have used the reuseable ends for repairs.

3 of my 4 locations have their own hydraulic crimper. One was there when I took over the place. The one without the crimper is less than 15 minutes from one with a crimper so I did not need one there. - they can share.

Kevin James

Reaction score
I don't make my own bay hoses - I have a hand swager, but it ends up costing more to buy the parts than to order pre-made hoses.
What is a "Hand Swager"

We have a couple of hose crimpers that we use to make up our hoses for both High Pressure and Low pressure. When a hose fails we aren't down for very long. I don't think much of the so called reusable high pressure hose fitting.

MEP001

Reaction score

Mine is the Couplamatic version which is steel, and I mounted a 3' aluminum angle piece across the bottom since it doesn't have the handle.

chewy007

Reaction score
We just invested into a D165 from Custom Crimp, all hose and ends were purchased thru hydraulics direct.com... Building a new tunnel it has been well worth it. Would not go ever go back to the (reusable ends).

dogwasher

Reaction score
I think the key here is to be able to make them on the spot. BUT im not sure where you guys get your hoses made but I pay $75 for a hose that I can make for $40 ....I think it will be worth it in the long run.

MEP001

Reaction score
dogwasher said:
I think the key here is to be able to make them on the spot. BUT im not sure where you guys get your hoses made but I pay $75 for a hose that I can make for $40 ....I think it will be worth it in the long run.
The big difference here is what the hose is used for. I keep enough hose to replace one high-pressure run from pump to bay, and for that I can and do make them myself. If I didn't, I'd have to measure the old one and either have it made locally (Much more expensive) or order it from Kleen-Rite (And have a bay down for several days). I order bay hoses because I can keep three or four spares since they're all the same, and I'd have to save more than a couple dollars per hose for it to be worth the bother making them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I get the Bay standard sizes from KR. Provide diameter, length of hose and type of end, swivel or non swivel, pipe / JIC etc. and then you can compare to a KR pre made hose cost. Shipping impacts costs but typicaly I just add to a free shipping offer so it's not a factor for me.

MEP001

Reaction score
Earl Weiss said:
Shipping impacts costs but typicaly I just add to a free shipping offer so it's not a factor for me.
I'd end up ordering the parts to make the hoses anyway, so same difference.

trentu

Reaction score
Did anyone see/remember the guy at the ICA show that was making the HP hoses from the hose without the steel in it? I didn't get a name/number just heard about him and would like to contact. Thanks

dogwasher

Reaction score
I've had the same crimper for several years. I usually use Goodyear Neptune 3000. No particular reason other than K/R has it and I get free shipping. I've crimped fittings on other brands of hose with no issues as well. I also make my own foam brush hoses with it too. It is very easy to use and I have saved a ton just by salvaging hoses instead of going to a store to have a new one made. I buy my fittings from Universal Hose. They have a generic brand fitting that's a little cheaper.
IB what is the part number for the Goodyear neptune hose? I dont see it in my KR book also is this the place you buy the fittings from?
www.universalhoseandfittings.com

Etowah