What's new

Which model vacuum motor has the best performance

WikiWash

Reaction score
Which Lamb/Ametek vacuum motor for the typical car wash vacuum has the best performance? The best performance meaning which has the strongest suction?

RAATCB

Reaction score
I use 116336-01. Good price and suction.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
If your gaskets are good and the vac bags pretty clean, any lamb seems to work fine for me.

I used to use the quiet vac motors but have recently changed to the cheaper one because the brushes are easier to change.

Eric H

Reaction score
I sitched to Domel motors from Windtrax. Part # DOMEL492.4. They are 110cfm which is higher than the lamb and GS motors that I used to use. The brushes seem to last a lot longer on these motors.

MEP001

Reaction score
I sitched to Domel motors from Windtrax. Part # DOMEL492.4. They are 110cfm which is higher than the lamb and GS motors that I used to use. The brushes seem to last a lot longer on these motors.
I switched to them too, originally because of the ratings. Both the lift and CFM are higher than any other standard motor. The brushes are barely half worn after five years where the old quick-change GS motor brushes would barely last a year. The only downside is they're a tiny bit taller so they won't work on some types of vacs, but they do have a model that's the same height and a little lower suction.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder:
1. A lot of Mfgrs fudge specs. It's only a question of how much; and
2. At the nozzle with all the restrictions up to that point is there a noticeable difference.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Ordered 2 of these Domel motors from Windtrax. I'm going to install them in the lowest performing of my 5 vacs and report back on the performance difference, if any.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I would have never known to check out those Domel motors. I just recently purchased the Lamb 2315 with the infinity brushes. I'll give them a shot and on my next order I'll try Domels too. Thanks guys!

MEP001

Reaction score
Can't help but wonder:
1. A lot of Mfgrs fudge specs. It's only a question of how much; and
2. At the nozzle with all the restrictions up to that point is there a noticeable difference.
1. If they all fudge, we can only hope they fudge about the same.
2. I know that customers will gravitate toward a 3-motor vac, or will usually use the turbo feature if it has one even when it costs them more. Either they can tell the difference or the extra noise makes them think they're getting something.

soonermajic

Reaction score
where is best price on that Domel motor? It seems a lil pricey

Etowah

Stuart

Reaction score
I too have Domel. 2 motors have great suction I would compare to 3 of the lambs/gs. pay the price you will like them. They are a TIGHT fit on my adams vacs. The plastic top of motor rubs the inside of the dome.

slash007

Reaction score
Hmmm. I've been using the KR motors, but maybe I need to switch to Domel? Performance has been fine, but I would always like more suction.

slash007

Reaction score
Looks like Windtrax for the Domel at $60 each. KR doesn't sell them. Not sure whom else does.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Got my 2 motors today from Windtrax - FAST shipping. Hopefully I'll have a moment to install the two into my poorest performing of 5 vacs and update with performance gains.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IIRC there was info posted along the lines of not being able to fit 10lbs in a 5 lb sack. In other words, no matter how much suction motors can generate there is a law of diminsihing returns vis a vis restrictions imposed by the hose and nozzle. The topic came up with difference in 3 and 2 motor vacs and those that offer a 3 motor option for more $ deposited. I have 14 3 motor vacs and about 25 2 motor vacs. With good seals and bags there is little apparent difference.

So, if motor B gives x% better lift, I wonder what the difference at the nozzle will be. Of course, longevity is also an issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
I remember that "info" which was based on one person laughing at others for thinking three motors can't pull more air through a 2" hose than two motors can. I still think that if customers can tell and are willing to pay extra, who cares? Take their money.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I remember that "info" which was based on one person laughing at others for thinking three motors can't pull more air through a 2" hose than two motors can. I still think that if customers can tell and are willing to pay extra, who cares? Take their money.
Sometimes customers pay for more sizzle even if the steak is the same. If it sells than by all means, go for it. However, that's a different issue than weighing any extra cost versus purported longevity and / or purported extra suction.

WikiWash

Reaction score
I have a JE Adams with a 2" hose which you can select between 2 motors and 3 and there is definetly a significant difference in suction.