What's new

Vacuum staying on

MEP001

Reaction score
Instead of tying the 10 gauge wires at the timer, pull the bracket out that the timer is attached to and connect a new wire at the terminal strip on the back along with the incoming wires. If there's no strip, connect a new wire to the incoming line and that will go straight to the mercury relay "in" with another wire from the mercury relay "out" straight to the motors (or fuses if it has them). The old timed load that went to the motors will now go to one terminal of the mercury relay of the coil, the other gets a common (white) wire tied into the wire nut already up top.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
When you get all done the timer will only control the coil on the relay, the coil only draws about 55 mA so the timer should last a lot longer. Think of the relay as a switch, you put power to the relay coil the coil energizes relay. The Load terminals are designed to take a 6-14 AWG wire. I connect the wires from the vac motors together and then connect the single #10 wire to the relay.
Albeit ... it requires more effort & a bit of modification ... but one of the best things we did was go to Dixmor LED7s for each of our four vacuum timers. Also away from the inside bay water & humidity ... we repurposed some of our "6 distinct coin" IDX's for our vacuums. Pretty much 100% flawless reliability! While the modifier is at it ... Wago wire nuts have their advantages also.

Last edited:

Noob

Reaction score
This is what I have but my vacuum will not kick on.

The top wire on the terminal is my hot wire. I checked and it has 125 volts on it.
The second terminal wire goes to my motors.
The top coil is a common tied to the bus bar.
The bottom coil is tied to the timer.

Anybody see what I’m doing wrong?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't see a line going into the timer relay.

MEP001

Reaction score
The block on the right that sticks out is the timer relay. You need a hot line in to the relay so it can send power out.

Noob

Reaction score
Right here?
The empty slot (currently not visible) under the yellow connector.

1.jpg

Also where should I be drawing my power from for that wire? Is the bus bar ok? 10Ga?

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
It doesn't need a heavy wire since it's only powering the mercury relay coil. It just needs always hot power to that spade terminal.

Noob

Reaction score
Got it! Thanks MEP, Randy and others. Couldn’t have done it without you.