What's new

Vacuum dirt keeps getting robbed

Randy

Reaction score
When we get to within a couple hundred feet of the car wash we wonder out loud what will be missing, broken into or damaged when we pull in. Since the first of the year we've called the police 16 times and have had 3 combo vac's stolen. It never ends and there are people who want to get into the car wash business.

Reactions: sjb

Bud's

Reaction score
I've been dealing with this issue non stop for three years and after catching one of them the police would not arrest or charge him because there was no value to the item stolen. Good old Minnesota democrats love supporting criminals!
I spoke with the criminal on my own after that and I haven't had an issue for six months.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I used to use coat hanger wire. I would cut off about a 4" piece, run it through the hole, double it over, and twist it with a pair of linesmans pliers. It makes ita little harder to get into than a zip tie so that the casual person doesn't bother, but if they want in they can still get in by cutting it off or untwisting it with a pair of pliers. It seemed like a good compromise, more effective than zipties but no damage done to get into the door.

sjb

Reaction score
I had my main nemesis, that I have been dealing with for decades, taken away in handcuffs today!

certainly wasn’t the first time that I had him arrested, and probably won’t be the last, but it sure does feel good…!

If we don’t have Law and Order, we be ___!!

Reaction score
When we get to within a couple hundred feet of the car wash we wonder out loud what will be missing, broken into or damaged when we pull in. Since the first of the year we've called the police 16 times and have had 3 combo vac's stolen. It never ends and there are people who want to get into the car wash business.
You’ve had the entire vacuum stolen? Jesus Christ that’s quite a shocker how did they get it out? It’s like you almost need to put the vacuum is in a concrete vault at this time

Mrwood

Reaction score
I took the lock plates and hinge off. Had some thing flexible steel cut to the circumference of the vac. Put it over the lower portion of the vacuum, all the way around. The two ends of the new “wrap” have the L shaped locking plates, each having the holes for lock. The middle is locked, the top and bottom holes are bolted shut. It becomes too much trouble for them to mess with.

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
I took the lock plates and hinge off. Had some thing flexible steel cut to the circumference of the vac. Put it over the lower portion of the vacuum, all the way around. The two ends of the new “wrap” have the L shaped locking plates, each having the holes for lock. The middle is locked, the top and bottom holes are bolted shut. It becomes too much trouble for them to mess with.
Mr. Wood, your solution sounds intriguing... 🤔 please post a photo if you can!

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's pretty simple if you think about.
Yeah now that I think about it yeah you’re right, so in this case should the mounting hardware should be physically hidden away inside the vacuum so that way there are no physical bolts or lugs on the outside of the vacuum that someone could potentially unscrew?

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
Yeah now that I think about it yeah you’re right, so in this case should the mounting hardware should be physically hidden away inside the vacuum so that way there are no physical bolts or lugs on the outside of the vacuum that someone could potentially unscrew?
That's not going to stop someone with a chain and pickup from yanking them off the island.

Reaction score
That's not going to stop someone with a chain and pickup from yanking them off the island.
what would you think that would prevent them from yanking it off the island? Would setting bollards in concrete very close to the vacuum would that help or would you have another suggestion in mind?

Kimberly Berg

Reaction score
what would you think that would prevent them from yanking it off the island? Would setting bollards in concrete very close to the vacuum would that help or would you have another suggestion in mind?
10 years ago (before we had cameras, and sold the wash), vandals were breaking into the vacuum vaults, using a torch and crowbar. Beat the sh%t out of them. We started removing the vault boxes each night, to save the vacuums. Then, they just stole the whole damn thing. You could see the scrape marks on the asphalt, as they dragged it away... We switched to $1 tokens and never had another issue! 👍 :D I'm looking at new vacuums for my 2nd wash. I prefer the mounting hardware on the inside as it looks cleaner and less vulnerable. But, since we have $1 tokens, it's less an issue of safety. JE Adams are on the inside, and Doyle are on the outside.

Mrwood

Reaction score
Mr. Wood, your solution sounds intriguing... 🤔 please post a photo if you can!
Sorry it took me a little bit. Here are a couple pictures.

Not easy to pry on, very tight, holds negative pressure for the suction still. The original door and hinge are still there, just a different way to secure and deter casual prying and damage. Just as much trouble to get into now as a money box, or close enough at least. It stopped them dead. No trouble anymore. I empty them once a week and just have a socket and combo wrench as part of the tools to do the job. Adds maybe a minute total. They are tight though. Oh, and a c clamp to get it close enough to get the bolt and nut to start to thread. I’ll take this over the damage any day.

Attachments

MrBTech

Reaction score
Jeeperz give the guy a key and let him empty them for you. As long as you guys make a deal that he closes up the clean out doors we'll. That's a win win. Who wants to clean out those vacuums.