What's new

Using magnet to activate selector on self serve

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Selectors have vertical marks on them under the quarter slot. Guy tells me he has been using broken speaker magnet to activate selector. How do I fix this do magnets won't activate?
Call GinSan tech support. It seems to me that I had that issue 20 some years ago and there was a simple fix.

MEP001

Reaction score
They had a steel plate that attached to the acceptor that helped prevent activating it with a magnet but didn't eliminate it completely.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Another alternative for hsb

If you're replacing coin acceptors, you might as well go with a multi-coin one. I prefer IDX MA800 and have little trouble with them. I've heard almost all good about MicroCoin, but I've never used them myself. If you go with Slugbuster, you almost have to go with the 3-coin unit since the SB-II will accept a dollar coin but will read it as a quarter.
HSB,

We have actual hands on experience with both the MicroCoin QL & the IDX. In our situation, in the bays in our part of the country (ND) with both overhead doors shut on many days during the winter (more intense moisture) & times (some days) where we need to shut off the power to some of our bays ... The MicroCoin QLs definitely have fewer service issues.

Consider another approach. Your acceptors can be converted to a different coin at no cost sometime in the future. Let's say you keep your costs down by using the magnetic reed switch that Mep suggests successfully ... test it on one bay first as a precaution. We had over 25 years of very close to 100% trouble free usage with Parker - Gin San single coin mechs. My reasoning is that if us self serve only operators can be unified enough to hasten the elimination by Congress of the paper $1 bill ... the workhorse of coins will be the dollar coin before too much time passes ... not the quarter. If it was my car wash, I would consider buying some time before bigger ticket purchases with the very inexpensive magnetic reed switch until the dollar coin actually does become the workhorse USA coin rather than the greatly diminished by inflation quarter. Even if you add bill acceptors later like we did, you will save significant amounts of maintenance by just accepting $5, & 10s. We are finding the majority of our customers by using $5 bills ... they appreciate having the most straightforward way of paying ... especially compared to the quarter only :p scenario. Back in the early sixties, first hand experience at our laundromat showed us that the workhorse of the coins were dimes ... thankfully ... there were no systemic problems like those that presently exist in the USA preventing a higher denomination coin from becoming the new workhorse when it comes to coins.

Some who overly dramatize the downfall of self service only car washing tend to be the same ones who would prefer that USA never does properly update the availability of the definitely more convenient & waterproof dollar coins.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Some who overly dramatize the downfall of self service only car washing.…”

Your comments and opinions on coin might have some validity “if” the above statement had some merit. However, it doesn’t.

Most sources have described carwash industry as wrecked by recession, decreased per capita income and rising oil prices.

For example, between 2000 and 2012, self-serve spending (per capita) dropped from $14.80 to $4.09 and number of self-serve sites dropped from 32,500 to about 25,000.

How much drama do you need?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
“Some who overly dramatize the downfall of self service only car washing.…”

Your comments and opinions on coin might have some validity “if” the above statement had some merit. However, it doesn’t.

Most sources have described carwash industry as wrecked by recession, decreased per capita income and rising oil prices.

For example, between 2000 and 2012, self-serve spending (per capita) dropped from $14.80 to $4.09 and number of self-serve sites dropped from 32,500 to about 25,000.

How much drama do you need?
Fellow self service car wash operators including those with some form of card swipe,

Merit & validity .... comes into view when the same "doom & gloom" mindset encourages bad government policy pertaining to properly adjusting our coinage for inflation like generations in the past & other countries have done. Call it an opinion if you want to ... but I call it a reality. This reality & fact has not helped us self service car wash operators & the pertinent employment that comes with that ... at all. This left most of us self service car wash operators with multi coin acceptors ... but the general public still with the inconvenience of not being able to simply use dollar coins because of a "systemic" lack of availability of the suitably valued coin. This still can be corrected with proper political awareness so that a higher denomination coin can become the new workhorse coin instead of the no longer a good fit because of inflation "quarters only" when it comes to the coin acceptance portion of our business.

mike walsh http://kingkoin.com/USA_Deficit_Reduction.html

MEP001

Reaction score
{EXHALE} Whew.... I was holding my breath waiting for this.... I can breath now!
It's almost funny when two people with such myopic views try to have a discussion.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I personally have had good luck with sensotrons. I have replaced 1 out of 6 I installed about 7 years ago. For the price, I think they are a good value. If you don't see the need for taking multiple coin types in the future, I would consider replacing the ones you have with newer models.