What's new

Using magnet to activate selector on self serve

hsb

Reaction score
Selectors have vertical marks on them under the quarter slot. Guy tells me he has been using broken speaker magnet to activate selector. How do I fix this do magnets won't activate?

hsb

Reaction score
Change your coin acceptor to something from this century.

That's not much help. What I have works, making money, just looking for some kind advice. I would suspect that there is a less costly fix for this.

Randy

Reaction score
Their right as rain, you’re going to have to replace/change out your coin acceptors. You must have some really old Gin-San Sensortron coin acceptors, they fixed that problem about 20 years ago. I wonder how much revenue has been lost to the magnet manipulators?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
hsb

your comment 'they are making money' is only part correct.

more accurate is 'they are making some money and losing some money'.

also true is 'they are losing you money'

come on now!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
That's not much help. What I have works, making money, just looking for some kind advice.
Yeah, we can be a little blunt here on the forum sometimes, dont take it personally.
The basic point is that the only solutions to the magnet problem (and stringing, and slugs...) that really worked were technology upgrades. Other potential work-arounds were tried - like shielding, magnetic switches to open the circuit in the presence of a magnet, etc. Not were satisfactory. Spending time on coin acceptor workarounds is something that most of us consider not worth discussing.
As others pointed out, you are probably losing a LOT more $ than you know. I'd guess that new acceptors would pay for themselves very fast. Very.

btw, more info about your wash would also help get you better answers, eg how many bays, how big is your market, and... what kind of acceptors do you currently have??

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Guy tells me he has been using broken speaker magnet to activate selector.”

“How do I fix this do magnets won't activate?”

Magnetic fields can be disrupted with ferrous metal like iron.

My question is did you have this guy arrested or is he still robbing you?

hsb

Reaction score
“Guy tells me he has been using broken speaker magnet to activate selector.”

“How do I fix this do magnets won't activate?”

Magnetic fields can be disrupted with ferrous metal like iron.

My question is did you have this guy arrested or is he still robbing you?
The guy stopped by, fresh out of local jail and must be doing a ten step program. I'm not familiar with upgraded equip. It is gins an with sensotron. I'll call kleen rite for new acceptors.

I actually was going to install piece of stainless with 1/4 inch space to try to fix, will that work? The equipment works just fine as far as I know.

slamdvw

Reaction score
Stainless won't block the magnetic field.. ( your box is stainless, isn't it? ). A piece of regular rustable iron or steel will, though.

hmm, now that it's mentioned they're sensotrons, I'll check the ones at my wash.. we have those too. Are the ones that take the 'program coin' vulnerable?

MEP001

Reaction score
A $5 fix: rig up a mercury tilt switch or magnetic reed switch inside the door where they pass the magnet and loop the bay power to it. If someone passes a magnet over it, it resets the timer.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
. You must have some really old Gin-San Sensortron coin acceptors, they fixed that problem about 20 years ago.
I copied the following from an email I had from Ginsan a couple of years ago.

Any sensortron serial number 260448 or higher, or serial number that starts with "S0" like S0012345 will have the output that is not affected by magnets

I have found it to be accurate with a magnet testing my bays.

Randy

Reaction score
Only the early Gin-San Sensortron coin acceptors are the ones that could be started with a magnet, the coin relay was in the front of the coin acceptor. The later model they moved the coin relay to the back of the coin acceptor. I'm surprised they've lasted as long as they have. we never had much luck with the Sensortrons lasting more than a few years. I wouldn't mess around with them, just replace them and be done with it.

Recently I visited my competitor’s car wash. I noticed that there were a lot of bent paperclips and bobby pins lying on the ground around the vacuums. His vacuums have mechanical coin acceptors in them. I hadn’t seen that trick in years.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
That's not much help. What I have works, making money, just looking for some kind advice. I would suspect that there is a less costly fix for this.
Didn't mean to offend. Just trying to help while not making a boring post. Btw, I've been called a lot of names, but I don't think 'kind' is one of them...? So maybe I shouldn't have responded. Anyways, I had an idea.... Make a sign that says: 'No using magnets on meter for free washes!' That would be way cheaper!:D

Last edited:

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
Recently I visited my competitor’s car wash. I noticed that there were a lot of bent paperclips and bobby pins lying on the ground around the vacuums. His vacuums have mechanical coin acceptors in them. I hadn’t seen that trick in years.
Ha...I think that can get you shocked on some older vacs that have 110V going through the coin switch! I would love to see that on camera!

hsb

Reaction score
Jginther, I'm not offended, you post a great deal of good info and I appreciate it. I have owned the wash for 19 days. So I'm a bit green.

I need to be told what to buy to fix this. I called dultmeier and the guy gave me many options but I really don't know which one to buy.

Also,,,how difficult to rebuild cat 623. I have one that pulsates.

I will be posting many questions and I promise that I won't be an a$$.

MEP001

Reaction score
If you're replacing coin acceptors, you might as well go with a multi-coin one. I prefer IDX MA800 and have little trouble with them. I've heard almost all good about MicroCoin, but I've never used them myself. If you go with Slugbuster, you almost have to go with the 3-coin unit since the SB-II will accept a dollar coin but will read it as a quarter.

"Difficulty" of rebuilding a 623 depends a lot on your mechanical level as well as some knowledge of how the pump works. You probably won't be able to diagnose the problem by looking at worn parts, so you'd be better off replacing things that are likely to be problematic. The service manual will help:

http://www.catpumps.com/products/pdfs/PstnSvc.pdf

slash007

Reaction score
Jginther, I'm not offended, you post a great deal of good info and I appreciate it. I have owned the wash for 19 days. So I'm a bit green.

I need to be told what to buy to fix this. I called dultmeier and the guy gave me many options but I really don't know which one to buy.

Also,,,how difficult to rebuild cat 623. I have one that pulsates.

I will be posting many questions and I promise that I won't be an a$$.
623 pumps are not hard to work on once you understand them. The most common reason for pulsation is worn hot cups. Those are easy to get to and check. You just take off the 4 nuts and pull back on the manifold head. You will see the cups on the piston rods. They will break apart when worn, so easy to know if that is a problem.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I actually was going to install piece of stainless with 1/4 inch space to try to fix, will that work?”

No, distance from magnet will weaken pull but there is no material that will block magnetic field.

Ferrous metal like iron can disrupt magnetic field because it has relatively high permeability. Permeability is ability of a material to support formation of a magnetic field within itself.

In other words, if you put piece of iron in between speaker magnet and subject, the iron will contain most of the field and subject is affected less, so to speak.

Etowah