What's new

Triple foam boom

Noob

Reaction score
For you guys that run triple foam, do you have a designated boom for the triple foam gun? Do you have to have a boom or can you get away without using one? I currently only have 2 booms in my bays. A center mounted boom for the HP gun and a FB boom mounted on the opposite wall. If I went with a boom where would be ideal place to position it?

Attachments

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I have a wall mounted 180 degree boom at two washes. I do have one wash that I didn't use booms.. Kleen rite sells a mounting bracket (basically a 3/8" stainless coupling with a bracket welded on). I'm using 3/8" coil hose but think I should have used 1/4". Based on my very limited experience I definitely prefer having a boom. But this setup is cheap enough that if you decide you can always add one if you decide you don't like it.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score

I use these for every foam gun conversion/installation...over 100 bays, so far...along with Freelin-Wade coiled hoses and Hamel non-trigger guns.

The most recent install features PS, tire, Mag chloride remover (winter) and bug cleaner (summer).

slash007

Reaction score
I have mine on a boom and use the same hose as the foam brush and it works well. You can use that stainless holder if you go with coiled hoses, but since I have to worry about weep and freezing, the coiled hoses are more susceptible to freezing.

Noob

Reaction score
slash, are you running triple foam through the brush?

Noob

Reaction score
Greg, what's your thoughts on 3/8 vs 1/4 hose?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Noob,
3 product lines, 1 air line, 1 anti-freeze line are connected to a manifold above each bay
(Inside an insulated plumbing trough)
A single 3/8” poly tube exits the trough and connects to the wall mounted coupling.
Because the system features freeze protection, I can mount a foam generator on the coupling’s inlet to “smooth the flow”.

MEP001

Reaction score
I like the booms set up like this:

Lpbooms.jpg

The trifoam gun is at the front of the bay with the meter box on the same end on the opposite wall. Customers can see and find the gun easily.

I've seen washes without a boom, just a coily hose. It works, just not as well as a second low-pressure boom.

Noob

Reaction score
For you guys that have double booms, are they good about returning to the wall?

MEP001

Reaction score
Sometimes the boom on one side will lay across the other one, but it's not really an issue. As soon as someone grabs the hose of the one underneath it, the other one swings home. In the one I pictured above, there's a stop in the center, but it caused customers to pull so hard on it that several of the booms broke at the welds. I cut off the stops and things worked much better.

Etowah

jsoriano

Reaction score
I use the double 180° booms from KR. Been installed for about 10 years and no problems so far. FB is on the left, TF/PS Foam Gun on the right.

Kleen-Rite Corporation - Double Stainless Steel Wall-Mount Boom Assembly (kleen-ritecorp.com)

Hi, are you using an agitator for the PS? what PS (brand)are you using? I am planning to convert my middle pressure PS to low pressure and make it foamy. My only concern is if I do this, customers will not use the FB and will start to do bucket washes.

Noob

Reaction score
Whats your guys thoughts on triple foam vs hot wax? Has anyone tried both?

Noob

Reaction score
Has anyone dispensed ceramic wax out of the foam gun?

washnshine

Reaction score
Whats your guys thoughts on triple foam vs hot wax? Has anyone tried both?
Triple foam will be cheaper but will not do a whole lot in terms of what it does to the appearance of the car- especially if it is a conditioner/cleaner type of triple foam.
Hot wax will be more costly and will give the car finishes really good beading and a glossy shine.

washnshine

Reaction score
Has anyone dispensed ceramic wax out of the foam gun?
That is the newest product our industry has right now and it is probably only a matter of time, but most of the ceramic products I have seen are not huge foamers - like the hot waxes are , so that might not provide the show- which is always part of the equation in our industry!