What's new

The "Tools I love" thread

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Cleaning pits sounds icky. My favorite tool for cleaning pits is my cell phone.

Hey This three piece pliers set is on sale for a few more days, until March 31. This is Carlyle- Napa's House Brand. They are made in Taiwan but seem to be good quality and warrantied. I've been using the needle nose for around six months and really like them. They are on the longer side and thin making them good for wiring up terminal blocks and other electronics. The strippers work pretty well on them too, enough that I have quit carrying a seperate set in my pouch. So this makes an excellent "multi tool" type of tool. The mini crimpers are a copy of a snap on model. They are great for tight spaces. I haven't used the pistol grip pliers yet, so can't comment on if the ergonomics will be useful.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHQPSW3

MEP001

Reaction score
LOL, at least I gave you a good "Head Start" this time!

Joking aside, its amazing what you can do when you have the right tools!

***Not For Hire***

What are you doing to the manifold?

MEP001

Reaction score
Cleaning pits sounds icky. My favorite tool for cleaning pits is my cell phone.
I used to run a wash with pits so small it wasn't worth paying someone to clean them, so I had to dig them out myself. "Icky" is a major understatement.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
What are you doing to the manifold?
Boring for SS sleeves. Since the 4.5" HF Grinder is so popular, on the lathe picture I was showing what else can be done with it. When cutting the Bushings/Sleeves, it makes precision and parallel cuts with ground finishes on the faces....

You probably know by now, I like being "Self Sufficient"!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Boring for SS sleeves. Since the 4.5" HF Grinder is so popular, on the lathe picture I was showing what else can be done with it. When cutting the Bushings/Sleeves, it makes precision and parallel cuts with ground finishes on the faces....

You probably know by now, I like being "Self Sufficient"!
Yep, just rubbing our freaking noses in it now...:(

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Yep, just rubbing our freaking noses in it now...:(
Actually not the intent...But thinking others on this site feel the same as you lately...They're just not vocal about it...I keep thinking "Knowledge Shared keeps Knowledge from Being Lost"....Maybe I'm seeing it all wrong?

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Hey This three piece pliers set is on sale for a few more days, until March 31. This is Carlyle- Napa's House Brand.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/CHQPSW3
I still use the $5 stripper/crimper I bought back in the 70s, it really is a frustrating POS.
So... I took this as an opportunity to upgrade, I just ordered this.
Thanks Greg.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I still use the $5 stripper/crimper I bought back in the 70s, it really is a frustrating POS.
So... I took this as an opportunity to upgrade, I just ordered this.
Thanks Greg.

I have also been frustrated with poor crimps. I read a little and started experimenting and found the quality of the crimp itself is a huge factor-probably more important than the tool. Even the cheaper 3m brand USA made butt splices didn't hold well. With the same tool my results on a crimp can vary enormously. The best all around tool for crimping I've found is a simple pair of klein 1005s. But those little carlyles are very nice and are much better than the cheap tools made out of stamped steel. They are very close to snap on's version, which sells for $50. And I love the needle nose pliers that come with that set.

Here's a good article if you're bored. The "take home" from this is test your system-both crimps and crimpers, to ensure you're getting acceptable results and stick with the same equipment and terminal brands. I literally threw away a bunch of butt splices after testing them with multiple crimpers and still getting poor results.

https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/

MEP001

Reaction score
I have also been frustrated with poor crimps. I read a little and started experimenting and found the quality of the crimp itself is a huge factor-probably more important than the tool. Even the cheaper 3m brand USA made butt splices didn't hold well.
I stopped using the 3M butt splices because of cost (They're $70 for a box of 100 where Amp is $4), but both work well for me with a dimple crimper. The problem with both is that they're rolled and not welded or brazed, so you have to place the dimpler away from where the roll joins. Any other way and the connector opens up.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I'm just jealous and yanking your chain. Keep it coming.
I'm all good now! I need to "Step Away From The PC" when I'm having a Bad Hair Day! This winter and screwed up Weather has took its toll! I'm finding myself wanting to be more and more like you, putting a "For Sale" sign on the door!

Last edited:

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Just thought I would update this old thread and "Needle" IB a little! I traded my old HF knee mill (that didn't have digital readout) for this one! I think $1800 difference! So much easier to make things with closer tolerances! Haven't had to rework a head yet with this new mill, but have made plenty of other things with it!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Don't know if you can do any milling with that! :LOL: Just kidding....Nice for close quarters when you need it!