What's new

The "Tools I love" thread

MEP001

Reaction score
Rotary Hammer.
I had always used a hammer drill for drilling concrete/stone/block, then about a decade or so ago I "discovered" the rotary hammer. Wow! Drills holes in concrete 100 times faster, doubles as a power chisel / mini jackhammer. My hammer drill immediately got sold.
Here's the one I have:
View attachment 1334
I just bought the same one, every bit as good as a $600 Hilti for I think $169 on sale and it came with a 4 1/2" angle grinder. Good timing since my old Makita grinder exploded just a few days before after 25 years of hard use.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I just keep a full set of tools at each location so I don't have to pack tools around. Now on my RZR that is a different story as I carry everything with it for repairs. I won't make it to Nashville this year so I guess Greg will have to show everyone going his pouch and tools there.

Soapy, I am starting to keep basic sets at each location. I'm kinda OCD about my tools though. I want everything set up identical so its driving me a little crazy. I feel unprepared without my tool bag in my truck too.

Ran into a little trouble today on a blower motor with METRIC fasteners! The only metric stuff I carry is an allen wrench and 25mm socket for Cat pumps. :(

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I would be interested.

One has all my wiring tools including crimper, stripper, a backup combo tool, Molex crimper tool and pin pushers, spare small-blade screwdrivers, cordless soldering iron, butt splicers (Both insulated and uninsulated with heat shrink tubing) wire nuts for 22 gauge to 10 gauge, all kinds of crimp terminals.
Any recommendation for molex tools? I lost mine but need to redo a few

Also, I rarely use the vice grips. I do use the small needle nose ones for clamping chemical lines from time to time. In all their wisdom coleman decided not to put shutoff valves on their chemical lines on their SS pump units.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I have a GC/Waldom WH-T 1919, with some practice with it I can do small and large as well as PC-plug size. If I did a lot of plug repair/assembly I'd get a better one.

Last edited:

pgrzes

Reaction score
If you guys love your rotary hammer, I picked up a used Dewalt 20v on ebay for $235. OMG the this is unreal. I have a Milwaukee that never leaves the drawer unless we are running 2 of them at same time. Could not get over how long the battery lasts on this thing.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

Also, I rarely use the vice grips. I do use the small needle nose ones for clamping chemical lines from time to time. In all their wisdom coleman decided not to put shutoff valves on their chemical lines on their SS pump units.
Greg & others,

When it comes to crimping tools we usually go to Digikey & they show the recommended set of tools putting for together the specific quick disconnects. Molex Jr, Mate n Lok, & JST tend to be where we were extra careful about going specific. Sometimes a bargain on Ebay as long a person narrows down the exact certified tool. We used tiny ferrules when we built our dog wash from scratch ... which has saved us from terminals loosening it seems. The ferrules it seems are a springy material where it helps. That requires a more universal crimper for the various sizes of wire ferrules. Sometimes I think the variety of Wago lever wire nuts are the better fit when it comes to terminals. I even got some transparent from ali express similar clamp ons that I am trying out.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Greg & others,

Sometimes I think the variety of Wago lever wire nuts are the better fit when it comes to terminals. I even got some transparent from ali express similar clamp ons that I am trying out.
Just got some of the newer style Wago 221 lever nuts and really like them. The real ones are expensive compared to wire nuts, but they make for a really solid connection. They look like a great choice for people that don't feel comfortable with connecting multiple wires with wire nuts I'm going to start using them on VFDs where there is not enough room for two wires on the terminal.

There is a guy on youtube that tested some of the offbrand wagos and they held up surprisingly well to high current and resistance tests.

copperglobe

Reaction score
Just got some of the newer style Wago 221 lever nuts and really like them. The real ones are expensive compared to wire nuts, but they make for a really solid connection. They look like a great choice for people that don't feel comfortable with connecting multiple wires with wire nuts I'm going to start using them on VFDs where there is not enough room for two wires on the terminal.

There is a guy on youtube that tested some of the offbrand wagos and they held up surprisingly well to high current and resistance tests.
I started using the lever Wago nuts about a year ago. Really, really like them. So easy and secure and even with cold fingers they're easy.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I hope that tester keeps getting good data about the off brands being as good ... since it seems Wago tends to just have 2,3 & then jumps to a 5 terminal one ... last time I checked. Others have all 2 thru 8 choices & also tranparent option or solid color.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've been using the IDEAL push in connectors for quite a while, they are a lot cheaper than the WAGOs, and the only disadvantage I know of is they are not really reusable. So I dont use them on things like vac motors that get replaced periodically, only on more permanent connections.
Easier to find too, the local hardware store pointed me at them 6-8 years ago, Lowes has them, etc.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I've been using the IDEAL push in connectors for quite a while, they are a lot cheaper than the WAGOs, and the only disadvantage I know of is they are not really reusable. So I dont use them on things like vac motors that get replaced periodically, only on more permanent connections.
Easier to find too, the local hardware store pointed me at them 6-8 years ago, Lowes has them, etc.
I'm relatively new to them. At first I thought they were gimmicky but am starting to find a use for them everywhere. Anyone had a bad experience with them?

Etowah

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My Favorite Tools....Also showing a different use for the "Most Liked" 4-1/2" Angle Grinder! Ranks just ahead of the Wagos!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
LOL, at least I gave you a good "Head Start" this time!

Joking aside, its amazing what you can do when you have the right tools!

***Not For Hire***

soapy

Reaction score
I am in the middle of making my new favorite tool. I just bought a mid sized tractor with front loader that uses a quick skid steer loader attachment. I am making a custom front loader narrow bucket that will reach down inside my pits and clean the mud out. Gator is the inventor and has used his for 20 years to make cleaning pits easy. With my dump trailer it should make cleaning puts about as tough as mowing my lawn on a riding mower.

Last edited: