What's new

The latest Global Warming info

Jony82

Reaction score
It seems to all boil down to (good choice of words) to whom you will believe? One side uses this 'crisis' as a means to control everyones lives and only sells a bleak future. The other side advocates no change or control of people's lives. I think I may put my money on the folks that do not see a doomed future of being straight jacketed as we eventually skid to our grave. Americans have historically believed in a better tomorrow and have worked towards that goal. Sellers of death and despair have never prospered other than amongst their own self-hating groups. The global warming advocates better find a happy ending or there will not be much of an audience for their cocktail party cause.

BTW, no one knows if the earth is heating or cooling, or if this heating or cooling is bad, or if this has been caused by man, or if man can ever reverse it regardless of his involvement in the cause. It is all just a theory. Some choose to believe the theory of Creation and some choose to believe the theory of Evolution. Who has been able to prove the truth of either to the other side?
Most scientists do not see a doomed future. They stress control of the situation to avoid the warming getting worse.

Sellers of death and despair have prospered. See the Christian faith.

Yes, we do know the earth is warming. We have thermometers. It is not a theory but a fact.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Jony82, I think that there is plenty of research on on both sides, I admit, that I have not idea who is right, they had a documentary about some research, that seemed to prove that there was one thing that we were apparently doing that was causing a problem, but they then realized that if we stopped doing that, it would cause another warming problem.

I just don't see any reason to get all upset and name calling over this anymore than I think if you are a Catholic or Democrat, that you should be this radical to claim that you are right and everyone else is wrong.

We all have seen scientist say that over the years that this or that was bad for us, only later to find out oops, not so.

So chill out and just state your thoughts and 50 years from now, someone will probably turn out to be right and we can all sit down and have a drink over it.

Jony82

Reaction score
I just don't see any reason to get all upset and name calling over this anymore than I think if you are a Catholic or Democrat, that you should be this radical to claim that you are right and everyone else is wrong.
As a scientist who has studied global warming I must say that it is a huge slap in the face to be told that I am wrong by a bunch of people who have no clue what global warming is, how it is caused, or what it means.

It's the equivalent of some a-hole off the street telling you how to run your car wash and refusing to accept that maybe, just maybe, you the operator might actually know what's going on.

I still see no evidence you offer to explain your anti-global warming stance. Just a bunch of "we don't know if it is happening" BS.

The global warming issue wouldn't be an issue if a democrat hadn't made a movie about it. Now it has become a political issue where the right refuses any and all logical facts as being "scientific motivation for grant money" for the sole purpose of being the exact opposite on a subject as the democrats. Yet they somehow don't see that big oil has much more to lose financially than any branch of science. If any idea has money tied to it's acceptance, it's anti-global warming.

You believe in anti-global warming because you are a conservative. Period. No other reason than that.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
jony82, first I'm not anti-global warming, I have no idea, if you are a scientist and have the proof that there is then that's fine, when I see you start setting an example and quit driving your car, which I think is one of the causes, then I'll take more notice. Blaming big oil is silly. You want gas at the station when you drive up there to buy it, they are providing it. This isn't like the cigarette company that apparently regulated the nicotine levels to make you an addict. I have read enough to think that the global warming science isn't any more absolute than the ice age science.

You seem to be getting pretty upset over something that isn't an absolute in anyones book with maybe the exception of the people that stand to make money if you buy it.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
More than a few respected scientists think other wise--this debate is not over and Gore can try all he wants to bias the debate. Read their research and tell me why they are and Al Gore's fantasy movie is right. Be honest and true to you science background on tryng to find real answers

Ted

jprb

Reaction score
Has the globe ever "warmed" before? Why did it freeze during the Ice Age? Where did the water in the giant "dry lake beds" go, and when, and why? I'm not pretending to know, just wondering!

JPRB

Jony82

Reaction score
Has the globe ever "warmed" before? Why did it freeze during the Ice Age? Where did the water in the giant "dry lake beds" go, and when, and why? I'm not pretending to know, just wondering!

JPRB
There are cycles to the earths climate change based on numerous outside forces. Volcanic eruptions can block sunlight through the ejection debris into the atsmosphere resulting in a decrease of energy received by the earth resulting in a global cooling.

Meteors that crash into the earth also have the same effect for global cooling.

A shift in the angle of the earth's facing of the sun also has an impact on temperatures.

Sun energy output is also a factor.

Dry lake beds can happen for a number of reasons. Climate shift can decrease the watershed necessary to sustain the lakes. Continental shift also plays a role.

It's important to know that without a cataclysmic event such as a major volcanic eruption or meteor that climate change occurs gradually over a period of thousands of years. The current climate shift can be contributed to increased levels of greenhouse gases (CO2, methane, water vapor, etc) and the decrease in greenhouse gas recyclers (vegetation). There are many natural causes of these greenhouse gases. However, taking into consideration the millions of cars on the road and countless factories producing these emissions, it is impossible to assume that our industrial ways have had no impact. Carbon Dioxide and methane in the atmosphere are at very high levels. We know through physics that an increase in concentration of these gases results in a greater energy storage resulting in higher temperatures. continued...

Last edited:

Jony82

Reaction score
Blaming big oil is silly.
I'm not blaming big oil for global warming. I'm suggesting that big oil has much more of a financial gain to dismiss global warming than science has in promoting it. So if you dismiss global warming as a scam portrayed by science for financial considerations, you must also consider that anti-global warming is a scam by big oil for their own financial considerations. They have much more to lose and gain than anyone on this topic, and the resources and media connections to fight it. And they've done a good job.

jcedwards

lurker
Reaction score
Well thank you Jony82 for enlightening us - the great unwashed and uneducated - regarding global warming. It is lucky for us that we have people like you to watch over us and tell us what to do. Where would we be without the elites to help us poor stupid bastards?

I will repeat: global warming is a theory. No one knows what will happen. Oh yes, those thermometers.... What did these thermometers measure over large areas of Russia? Cooling. What did the ocean thermometers, thousands of them in left in the sea for 3 years, measure? No warming. So the logical conclusion from the self-interested global warmists concluded it that the instruments were broken.

Please clarify, with the integration of this Winter's data, what the total century temperature rise? What was it before this winter? Substantial drop occurred due to an abnormally cold winter. Well, if one winter can do this.....

It is amazing that the scientist can be so blind to the other responsibility of the scientist - skeptic. I challenge you to prove me right; i.e. now argue against global warming to verify your 1st theory. I bet you find enough data to be at least unsure. And guess what, this would then make you just like us - stupid, uneducated 'common folks' spouting off on something for which we have not been properly trained.

jcedwards

lurker
Reaction score
Global warming is:
A movement to control our lives.
A means to encourage others to practice thoughtful stewardship of the earth.
A complete hoax.
A political movement pushed by groups to accomplish through fear what they cannot through reason.
A means for many lost graduate students to find employment and credentials.
A regional concern where temperatures have risen in correlation with growth in populations, infrastructure, industry and consumption.
An alarmist call that most people ignore like all the other historical threats like: ice age, running out of food, world wide communism.
Carefully studied and documented sets of data that has resulted in a theory that the earths surface is warming.
Not the green house effect. That is a whole different theory and should not be used to confuse people.

I think the above list contains many of the ideas that come to mind when someone mentions "global warming". Just from this list, one can see there are a lot of different views and angles to be talking about.

Add to the list if you like. And if you comment, indicate which one you are commenting for or against.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I would like to state for the record that I am not anti-global warming, I am pro-global warming. My gas bill for my underfloor has been a killer the last few years.

The one thing that really woke me up and made me switch from being anti-gw to being pro-gw was when someone from the pro side referred to everyone on the anti side as having sh#t for brains. When someone is that eloquent with words it makes you reconsider your position.

Jony, I think that it is really beneath someone of your stature to communicate with a group of people who wash cars for a living. Someone who has no formal training in the ways of science should not bother reading and thinking for themselves.

Bill, you have the patience of Jobe.

Doug P.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
Weak people gravitate to these kinds of movements and cannot stand to be challenged with other ideas. The good news is there are many highly respected scientists with other views on global warming theories who will not allow the weak followers to pile on without challenge.

I worked through a career in nuclear energy where the real science was not properly respected and took our country on a dumb path. We taught the French about nuclear power and they listened to the point they now produce about 70% of their power with nuclear plants and like us , they have done it safely and economically. Gore the hypocrite was on the wrong side of this debate as well and now some of the weak see the benefits of nuclear energy but being weak they have a hard time admitting their mistake. If you don't like fossil fuels , just think of what a difference it would be it we were up to 80 % power production from nuclear plants--we were on track to do that.

Ted

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It appears that as the cost of gasoline continues to rise, prices of consumables continues to spiral upwards while volumes at the washes seems to be declining. So much of economy currently depends on fossil fuels that I cannot understand why we do not start drilling into our oil resources and give the "tree-huggers" something else to complain about. I agree that we missed the boat on nuclear energy. I assume part of that was a result of incidents like Three Mile Island. We often seem to be a country subject to knee jerk responses to emergency situations or half baked theories like global warming. It gives the self proclaimed intellectuals something to feed on to tell us that the "sky is falling".

It would be wise to revisit nuclear power as a long term solution but for now I feel we must tap into some of the natural resources we have to at least stabilize gas prices and hopefully the economy. In addition we need to do something about oil speculators who are also contributing to the problem.

jfmoran

Reaction score
Quote from Jony "You believe in anti-global warming because you are a conservative. Period. No other reason than that."

So I guess using logic, that means that "you believe in global-warming because you are a liberal. Period. No other reason than that." :confused:

Would that be a correct ass-umption?

John Moran

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Weak people gravitate to these kinds of movements and cannot stand to be challenged with other ideas. The good news is there are many highly respected scientists with other views on global warming theories who will not allow the weak followers to pile on without challenge.

I worked through a career in nuclear energy where the real science was not properly respected and took our country on a dumb path. We taught the French about nuclear power and they listened to the point they now produce about 70% of their power with nuclear plants and like us , they have done it safely and economically. Gore the hypocrite was on the wrong side of this debate as well and now some of the weak see the benefits of nuclear energy but being weak they have a hard time admitting their mistake. If you don't like fossil fuels , just think of what a difference it would be it we were up to 80 % power production from nuclear plants--we were on track to do that.

Ted
Ted,
I agree with you about Nuke power. I think we should build dozens more nuke power plants and go to an electricity based system. Electric heat, plugin hybrid cars, etc and say good riddence to the middle east nut jobs. ;)

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
If our government made a real effort towards nuclear energy the price of oil would be cut in half in 90 days in my opinion. I can not understand why the global warming crowd is not carrying the flag for nuclear energy.
I finally read one of Dougs rants and I get called a sh!t for brains...

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
I finally read one of Dougs rants and I get called a sh!t for brains...[/QUOTE said:
Well, you read that crap, what did you expect? I thought I tought you better than that. I quit responding to his idol and he finally quit posting here. Doug is attempting to carry the torch, but he just doesn't have what it takes. He doesn't misspell as many words and not as badly, he doesn't use enough CAPS, and he doesn't insult enough. Maybe he will mature and make him proud, but I ain't countin on it.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Well, you read that crap, what did you expect? I thought I tought you better than that. I quit responding to his idol and he finally quit posting here. Doug is attempting to carry the torch, but he just doesn't have what it takes. He doesn't misspell as many words and not as badly, he doesn't use enough CAPS, and he doesn't insult enough. Maybe he will mature and make him proud, but I ain't countin on it.
Well the "$hit for Brains" was VERY appropriate! You guys knock Gore with a sign about "inventing the internet on a site that makes BILL MONEY! While Gore was key into accessing what was unaccesable for you and letting you BASH THE HELL OUT OF HIM! Yes.... that quailifies for $hit for brains. You knock a Nobel prize winner, a Rhodes scholar.... one who was instrumental in the transaction of trillions of dollars of commerce TAX FREE over the internet and the formation of political web sites that have suscessfully castrated the democratic party in prior elections (SWIFTBOATVETSFORTRUTH)....at his presention of a BILL before Congress.... GORE did this. Yes.... you have $hit for brains for castigating him!

You should thank him for the ability to make money(did I mention IT's TAX FREE in most cases) and to communicate instantly anywhere in the World. At least give him some freaking credit.... then I won't call you "$hit for brains".