What's new

Sunrise / Sunset

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some time ago there was discussion of Light timers and some used timers that automatically adjusted for sunrise / Sunset. Anyone tried using "Smart" devices and an app like Alexa to do this? Anyone using such devices for other functions at the wash?

Blanco

Reaction score
If your looking for something to automatically detect sunrise/sunset then you can just use a photo cell. If your looking to control equipment from your phone then I would use smart plugs. I use them for:

1. Bill changer power
2. Vending machine power
3. Pay station power
4. Open and close wash bay doors
5. Reset for IBA”s
6. Other misc things like weepmizers, heaters, etc.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've struggled with photocells at car washes and have never found a unit/setting that works the way it should. It will either come on too late and the bays will be dark for 20 minutes at sunset of the lights won't go off or will come on if it's overcast. I won't ever use anything but an astronomic timer again.

Blanco

Reaction score
I've struggled with photocells at car washes and have never found a unit/setting that works the way it should. It will either come on too late and the bays will be dark for 20 minutes at sunset of the lights won't go off or will come on if it's overcast. I won't ever use anything but an astronomic timer again.
I understand. However, not all photo cells are made equal. Cheap ones like the kind HD sells ain’t worth a damn. They do everything you described and cannot be adjusted. I use photo cells for my exterior lighting. I purchased some from a local electrical supply that were costly but have a cover on them that you can slide down over the photo eye if you want the lights to kick on sooner. If there is a HEAVY overcast they will still kick on which I don’t have a problem with that. I want my lights on when it’s cloudy out. That’s just my personally preference. Astronomic timers are also a great option.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have always used the good ones. I don't want the lights on all day if it's raining. If you set an astronomic timer to come on 20 minutes before sunset, the lights will always come on and light the bays when you need them lit, and you won't be lighting bays in bad weather to encourage mobile mechanics.

Ryancross11

Reaction score
I just went with smart switches for the interior And exterior lights. Smart relay for my open closed sign. And smart plug to shut power down to my doors. Everything runs through Alexa. The lights are programmed for sun rise and sunset.

Randy

Reaction score
At the end of September when the days get darker and shorter I pull the stops out of my timers and left the bays lights on 24/7. About the frst part of April I pull the stops back in the light timer and turn the lights off during the day. We've been doing this for years, since we installed LED lights. By leaving the lights on 24/7 it only adds about $20 a month to the power bill.

Blanco

Reaction score
I have always used the good ones. I don't want the lights on all day if it's raining. If you set an astronomic timer to come on 20 minutes before sunset, the lights will always come on and light the bays when you need them lit, and you won't be lighting bays in bad weather to encourage mobile mechanics.
Why don't you like to light bays in bad weather? Because of money? If thats the case, LED Lights practically cost nothing to run. Very very rarely do I get someone trying to work on their car in a bay, definitely not enough to justify cutting my lights off for the whole wash during overcast days when its dark out. IMO washes feel safer for customers and are more likely to drive away thieves/vandals when the wash is lit up.

MEP001

Reaction score
Why don't you like to light bays in bad weather? Because of money?
Money and lifespan of the lights themselves, as well as people loitering to use the lights in bad weather. If I don't run off the loiterers, it gets worse and worse. During the last extended rain I had people setting up tents in the bays.
Very very rarely do I get someone trying to work on their car in a bay
I get it all the time, and the lights encourage it. The roof is high and open enough that it's not excessively dark in the bays no matter how overcast it is, but even then I don't get much washing except for engines and truck beds.

edredtop

Reaction score
I understand. However, not all photo cells are made equal. Cheap ones like the kind HD sells ain’t worth a damn. They do everything you described and cannot be adjusted. I use photo cells for my exterior lighting. I purchased some from a local electrical supply that were costly but have a cover on them that you can slide down over the photo eye if you want the lights to kick on sooner. If there is a HEAVY overcast they will still kick on which I don’t have a problem with that. I want my lights on when it’s cloudy out. That’s just my personally preference. Astronomic timers are also a great option.
FWIW, I have used Home Depot photo eyes for 2 decades with tremendous success.
That little metal tab isn't a mistake, it's the adjuster. Lights don't come on soon enough? Move the adjuster over the eye a little bit more until they come on at the desired time. What could be easier?
(And of course, make sure the eye faces south...)

Attachments

Blanco

Reaction score
That little metal tab isn't a mistake, it's the adjuster. Lights don't come on soon enough? Move the adjuster over the eye a little bit more until they come on at the desired time. What could be easier?
That style is not sold at my local HD or maybe I just did not see them when I was looking years ago. The ones I tried from HD did not have that option. I would wrap half the lens in black tape a few times to get them to come on sooner. After a year or so they would die and lights would either not come on or stay on all they time. I’m glad you’ve had some success though!

Last edited:

slash007

Reaction score
I've had success using those as well. Got mine at Lowe's. Replaced a timer with one of these.

Blanco

Reaction score
This is the one I used from HD that was terrible. Changed 5 locations over and a year later had to change all of them again. The ones I found like I described in my other post are very similar to the one you posted.

Attachments