What's new

Spot Free appears soapy

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The first year into this I struggled with pipe sizes....What I did was go to Lowes or HD and get each pipe size from 1/8" all the way up to 1"....I stamped each one in the middle with the size, drilled a hole in one end, and put them on a wire ring! That helped tremendously!

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I've had better luck with the Dema than the Asco. The Ascos had the brass seat wash out, the Dema has a stainless seat. Ford vs Chevy.
The Asco I have on weep has cycled millions of times times and ran hundreds of thousands of gallons through it....No issues yet! If $$$ is an issue, go with the Dema diaphragm 474P...The 24vac one is $60 at KR...The Asco is about $150.00....That solenoid you have on there looks pretty old. I had some solenoids on my pumpstand that were about 30 years old before I swapped everything out. They can last a pretty long time as long as you run low hardness water through them...

Reaction score
Yes, I could tell by the plumbing before 2Biz posted the picture where you can see the 474P on the tag.

I've had better luck with the Dema than the Asco. The Ascos had the brass seat wash out, the Dema has a stainless seat. Ford vs Chevy.

Yes.

Some bolt or plumbing supply houses will give you a cheap plastic tool that has holes and nubs for sizing bolts and plumbing.
Since I'm a Chevy guy, you're saying I should go with the Dema because it's more reliable?

MEP001

Reaction score
They're both good. Sometimes it's a matter of brand preference. I base mine on the fact that I've had virtually no issues with the Dema diaphragm valves and have replaced many Asco ones for various reasons, some only a year or two old.

I've seen 40-year-old D/H pumpstands with the original Dema 412P solenoids on them and still working perfectly, but I'd never use them now.

Reaction score
I believe I fixed my soap in the rinse water problem today. I have a check valve from the soap barrel to the pump for soap. My city water enters from a pipe on the wall via a hose through a dema solenoid valve. The valve was damaged during a freeze and I thought just taking it apart and pushing the o-ring back in fixed it. The stem that the solenoid goes on was also quite rusty. I replaced the top half of the solenoid only since the bottom didn't appear to be warped or bent like the top part was. I also added a drop of oil on the stem and used the old solenoid. The rinse water at the bay was finally clear. I will keep checking it over the next few days to make sure there aren't any changes.

Etowah