What's new

Should I go with count up or count down with Cryptopay in my bays?

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
Hi all, first time here so forgive me if this has already been answered. I just got back last week from the car wash show in Vegas and dropped a pretty penny on 5 new loaded GinSan meter plates for one of my washes. I chose to add Cryptopay for my CC along with the Dixmor LED 7 timers. Got a email from GinSan today wanting to know if I was going with the count up method or count down. With the Cryptopay, the customer can choose to end the wash whenever he/she is done with the wash on count up, but can add credits as they choose with the count down. I will also be having a minimum of $3 to start either way. Seeng that the customer has complete control in both count up and count down, what do you suggest?

pgrzes

Reaction score
count up, people will spend more. they dont hear a beeper every couple minutes to try to beat.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
With your count up, do you experience a lot of customers driving off without hitting the end button and getting charged the max amount? What is your max amount set at and is your starting minimum the same as your coin and bill starting minimum? We have a lot of self serve washes in the Phoenix area and a lot of express washes :( taking ever more customers away from the self serve. With that in mind, I'm at $2 for 4 minute start. Should I just start cards as well at $2 instead of $3 and count on no beeper reminder and hope that the customer will average $4-6. I am a busy wash and offer all the basics in bay as well as tri-foam and in bay dryers.

slash007

Reaction score
I am at $2 for a 3.5 minute start. For credit cards, I have a minimum $3 charge as a startup for both count up and down. My max for count up is $15, then they have to swipe again. I do have people that drive off and it runs to $15, but it is not that often and out of those, barely anyone ever calls to complain. Just as many people swipe again and spend more than $15. I also added them to my vacs with a minimum of $2.50 per swipe and no complaints.

MEP001

Reaction score
When we installed the Hamilton D.A.N. system we'd get a couple calls a week from people who were overcharged because they didn't press the "STOP" button. I wired the button through a programmable relay so when the stop position is selected it would end the transaction after 3 seconds. It completely eliminated the issue.

IMO and from what many customers have told me, they like the credit card feature because they can swipe once and wash 'til they're done. Having to go back to the meter to press a button to continue washing defeats the part they like the most.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
When we installed the Hamilton D.A.N. system we'd get a couple calls a week from people who were overcharged because they didn't press the "STOP" button. I wired the button through a programmable relay so when the stop position is selected it would end the transaction after 3 seconds. It completely eliminated the issue.

IMO and from what many customers have told me, they like the credit card feature because they can swipe once and wash 'til they're done. Having to go back to the meter to press a button to continue washing defeats the part they like the most.
Do you have any knowledge of the wiring for the Cryptopay and if I could do the same thing like you did with the stop button?

MEP001

Reaction score
You would have to ask Cryptopay if they will add external wiring to do it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I have cryptopay. 1 compalint in the last year or so about not pushing stop. Sent him a refund.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
Okay, decided to go with the count-up. GinSan is printing the overlays for my new meter plates and they want to know my price pints. I'm going to state what the max charge is near the swiper. I am thinking of going with a minimum of $3 to start and maximum of $12 on CC. I charge cash customers $2 for 4 minutes to start. What are some of you others doing when it comes to minimum starts and maximum charges on CC.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I am exactly the same prices as you. I had the cryptopay instructions printed on the the faceplate decals. I did not put any pricing info on the faceplate decal as I have separate price signs. I am at a $12 max right now but am going to go to $15 in the fall after people get adjusted to Cryptopay setup. Which Ginsan doors did you get? I put in Lumitouch ultras, and customers love them. Doug at Ginsan has been a pleasure to work with.

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I started the max at $10 and customers thought that when it ran out they had to continue with cash. Once I eliminated the stop buttons I raised the max to $15.

AZcarwashman

Reaction score
I am exactly the same prices as you. I had the cryptopay instructions printed on the the faceplate decals. I did not put any pricing info on the faceplate decal as I have separate price signs. I am at a $12 max right now but am going to go to $15 in the fall after people get adjusted to Cryptopay setup. Which Ginsan doors did you get? I put in Lumitouch ultras, and customers love them. Doug at Ginsan has been a pleasure to work with.
I'm replacing aging Ultimate Touchtron so I had to go with the smaller Lumi-Touch Ultimates. I did 10 selection. They are very nice meter plates and got a great deal on em at the Carwash show in Vegas last month. Yes I agree, Doug has been great to work with. Do you mind if I email you a photo of the rendering Doug sent me? I'd appreciate an opinion with someone that has similar plates. I Just wanna get it perfect before they send em off to production. I'm also going to accept $1-$20 bills in the acceptor. Though I was considering only accepting upto $10. What did you do? Also, would be interested to see a pic of your meter plates. Thanks

Last edited:

Stuart

Reaction score
I have count up. $3 to start with a $15 cap. I have signage being very specific about the stop button and how to use it right next to the box. . I do not give refunds unless it is a malfunction of my equipment and yes I have had many fail to press stop. Most customers accept that they screwed up.

MEP001

Reaction score
I probably wouldn't accept $20 bills in the bays for concern that someone would expect change. That may not be an issue for you, your customers may not be that dumb, but I've seen it.

pgrzes

Reaction score
Sure do send to me and I will send you a copy of what I did.
magictouchcarwash@comcast.net.
I have not had a single complaint about not pushing the cryptopay stop button!!! I always tell people when I see them to be sure to push the correct button when finished. It is confusing with a Stop button for the functions and the Cryptopay stop button. But after 4 months no complaints. I would NOT take 10's and 20's in bays!!!! They will become a target for theft. If Ginsan is setting up with the mars 2412's they will only do $1 & 5's. unless going a different route. Be sure to have the smallest possible opening for the validator!! I also take tokens and am getting ready to switch to dollar tokens and coins.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Have you guys had any disputes with the count up? I pulled into one of my future competitors wash, to wash my car, and notice the wand still active. I though someone left it with some time on it. I began rinsing my car down and by the time I got back around to the timer, noticed it up to about $30. I pressed stop, and then inserted my money.

Stuart

Reaction score
I have had 2 customers attempt a chargeback with no luck. My signage at the coinbox clearly states how to use the system.
I am baffled at how many people with creditcards come in for their first time using the card and they do not read the instructions until the get a charge for $15-my card cap per swipe.