What's new

Secret to putting push-lok fittings on

APW

Reaction score
After putting eight fittings on tonight I am give slam out. There has to be a secret or easier way or do they make a tool to do this?

MC3033

Reaction score
What kind of push lock fittings are they? What type of material?

I’ve never had an issue putting one on. Taking them off is another thing

slash007

Reaction score
I put on 4 the other day and bruised the crap out of my palms. I put some cutting oil on the fittings first then press and turn, but it's still hard.

Reactions: APW

APW

Reaction score
What kind of push lock fittings are they? What type of material?

I’ve never had an issue putting one on. Taking them off is another thing
They are Parker push-lok. The hose is a rubber continental for low pressure.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hot water. I keep an old saucepan at the wash and heat a couple inches of water with a torch to almost boiling. Soak the hose in it for 15 seconds and it'll slip right on.

The local Parker distributor makes hoses to order and they said use alcohol as a lubricant along with a special device to force the hose over the fitting. $400 later and we had about 12 hoses assembled and a bent handle on a machine we could no longer use.

pgrzes

Reaction score
We will usually use a little heat in the winter time. I always use the wood on the end of a bench or stair rail and put the fitting against the wood two hands and my beer gut, spit on it and slam it in there wiggling back and forth a bit. Works pretty well on up to 3/4" stuff. Never had a complaint!! Bigger stuff gets tough! Might need a better lube and more foreplay I mean heat!! Thats how the person at our local hose shop showed me how its done! I wont say if they were a he or a she!! LOL Enjoy.

APW

Reaction score
Try the hot water method first. You'll be surprised how well it works.
I used a butane torch to heat the water and the fittings slid in like a champ. Thanks for the tip!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
The 3/4" and 1" push lock fittings are really tough. New hose in the smaller sizes is not too bad, but once it gets old and stiff it becomes extremely difficult. I have done the hot water method and carry in a thermos for a few fittings when I'm anticipating doing a couple. I'm tempted to buy the hose press, Jegs sells it and you can get discount coupons if you're patient. I'm about to rehose a water wizard and there's tons of push lock fittings on them.

MEP001

Reaction score
Ok, how do you take them off?
You have to cut the hose, which you have to do carefully if you plan to reuse the fitting. I prefer to cut a slice off the side of the hose, cutting toward the yellow ring, and only cut through the nylon reinforcement, then bend the hose to the side and it should slip off. If you just cut into the hose with a sharp blade and score the barb, it will leak.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm about to rehose a water wizard and there's tons of push lock fittings on them.
I use push-lock fittings with polybraid hose all the time whenever there's no pressure on it. It's a lot less expensive, and a lot easier to get the hose on. Kleen-Rite sells it in several colors which for some reason is even cheaper than the clear.

Blanco

Reaction score
Use a cigar torch and heat the hose a little. It will slide right on.

Allen

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
I would think that a lubricant might not only break down the hose, but would weaken the "lock" on the barb.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I often try various lubricants when I have trouble with old hose and can't really recall a problem with hoses popping off.. But if the hose is new and pliable I don' have any issue with 1/2" or 3/8" hose without lube. It's just the larger hose, or old hose (making a repair)that I have issues. I do clamp fittings on the gantry subject to a lot of movement like on the wall boom.

Allen

Reaction score
The Oatley pipe lubricant is water based and is safe to use on hose. Works better than dish washing detergent which I have used in a tight. The pipe lubricant is mainly used for lubing the gaskets on water and sewer pipe.
I’ve used for years and even more now as my grip is not what it used to be.
Never had a problem with fittings coming apart but don’t let it spill in your toolbox.
Makes a slimy mess!