What's new

Saving a few $$ with Zoro Tools

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Greg & others,

I did not see any coupons posted so I went online & Zoro on their website banner they have 20% on $200 in two distinct categories that expire on March 29th.

Our six for our overhead doors locking mechs for remote abilities have within the assemblies 20 year old Clippard air cylinders that are starting to need replacement. I ordered the Parker brand since Zoro did not carry the Clippards. The crazy thing is that I had to extrapolate the Automation Direct's cross reference chart to give more certainty to the order.

Not sure on quality difference ... so I only ordered four when I could have ordered six. I still met the 20% off criteria with just four. I could have gotten greedy & waited for a potential 30% but you know me ... I tend not to do "reckless gambling".

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
What I've read Mike s that zoro is tightening up a bit. 30% off coupons are probably gone for good and they are becoming stingier with the 20 and 25% off coupons, so if you need it I wouldn't wait for a much better deal. It was a good run when there was a continuous supply of discount codes good for pretty much anything on their site. It may have gotten them the traffic they wanted because I now regularly check their prices as I'm sure others will too. Their parent company Grainger has actually reduced online prices somewhat too.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I had my eye on some Taco Pumps like what 2Biz did as a potential summer renovation boiler revision project. If I can keep the costs down pump wise it makes the project more likely to happen. Hopefully during "some holiday related events???" they will include pumps in a the discounted category. The ending in March promo categories do not currently include pumps. I did order yesterday evening four of the 20% discounted double acting Parker Air Cylinders that I hope were cross referenced properly so they will not be a hassle making them fit.

So like the rest of us we may want to vigilant in order to get in on the very significant savings on some of our bigger ticket items. They never were good about sending me the codes via email. Most of the codes were lifted from Greg's & others "heads up" posts.

Last edited:

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Valid through April 18th, 2019
20% off order of $150+
25% off order of $250+

Code : APRLSAVEQAT6Y

Etowah

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Valid through May23rd, 2019
20% off order of $150+
25% off order of $250+

Code : MAYSAVEX3BTE

This is kind of short notice but there it is above. I followed 2Biz's lead for not being too bashful about checking the pump curves & I am replacing some of the over $1200 retail each (x3) over sized Webtrols by the original engineer & mech contractor with 5 Taco 0011 cartridge pumps. Electricity savings will also be considerable. The $324.71 savings from the 25% coupon tipped the scale for us to get off our hinders to what will also be major space saving. Dang 30% off CODE would be better but then I might be accused of being one of those der "bottom feeders"!!!

The engineer (who I am not bad mouthing) did not share with me the "why" so much noisy head was needed. I now find out later that my Spirec Heat Exhangers don't have that much "loss of head" at all .... based on what I just downloaded: https://docplayer.net/102297852-Spirec-spiral-plate-heat-exchangers-type-k-s.html . Now to replace the deicer Taco 133 pump over $1500 (if ever needed) might be a lot tougher ... not sure.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Tried code - Did not work. Perhaps their are exclusions.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Earl & others,

The 25% worked for me yesterday as long I met the $250 threshold. I did see on the postcard not transferable though???

A 20ZORO CODE: "BSTBRANDS3WCE" JUNE 3rd 2019 deadline is another promo code that was on a snail mail catalog they sent to me. I did not see any exclusions other than can use only once on a single order same as the one I posted yesterday. An order I did back in March did specify exclusions but cross referenced air cylinders were among the items that qualified.

Is today only "superstars" at the 25% level???

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Any Zoro Codes that have not expired (sigh) as of yesterday 10/9/2019 date??? With the % off codes Zoro appears to be my first choice on a purchase now or in the very near future for some Taco pumps in series like 2Biz opted to do.

MEP001

Reaction score

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Sorry, I had one that expired last Sunday.

If you ever want a discount and not in a rush: log in, put the items in your cart, and leave it without checking out. Usually within a day or two they'll send you a 15% off coupon as incentive to purchase the items in your cart.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Greg & others,

I did quick on my own web price comparison & went to my trusty spreadsheet & wound up with net savings & quicker than Zoro. This time Zoro would have had to have a 25% coupon to match. Pexuniverse & Alternative Heating ...both places I reached the free shipping threshold.

It can be a real jungle when it comes to pumps & pipe fittings. Even between locals. Menards had the wholesaler beat by as much as 3x. AltHeat online had Menards beat by a whole lot as in $270 vs $179. Nobody is complete on all fittings etc so ... one is forced to scout out other sources anyway. While scouting out we do sometimes just happen to notice pricing on various specific items. In the middle of portions of the project ... we had to go with the local plumbing wholesaler on some of our project. Shame on us for waiting this late in the season .... CURRENT early winter 16" to 30" of snow was at stake for melting on our outdoor pad since the deicer system was TEMPORARILY DOWN. We got that portion done within hours of the actual need.

The deicing revision from the original Herm Deal Huron Valley(1980) we did in about 1991. That revision was spec'd out by a local mech engineer & turned out to be not as good as using some high head Taco 0011-F4. Based on the pump graph one pump should have don the transfer through our Spirec Heat Exchanger back to our main laundromat boiler system. Guess what it was enough for about 10 minutes. It must have been too close to being maxed out spec wise because we would up having to use 2 pumps in series like 2Biz did.

Now we have to move on to hot antifreeze Trane unit (fans to clear the air) heaters in our inside bays... that is why I had to order 2 more TACOs with more flanges etc. To be fair to the engineer ... the Tacos came out after 1991 it seems.

Anybody interested in several working Webtrol 1/3 HP pumps with extra parts ... one I believe is brand new? A few of the Webtrols were bought from Kim Car Wash Supply ... not sure why they were selling them back in the 1990s ... apparently they was & maybe still is an application within the car wash industry for those pumps???

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Just saved over $400 on a 400k BTU gas forced air unit heater. Under $2k Delivered.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Earl ... is your forced air unit heater going to be in an area of water droplets?

We used to have hanging from ceiling forced air natural gas unit heaters in our bays & the chlorinated vapors would cause pinholes in their heat exchangers over time. We called the gas utility company recommended to troubleshoot a different problem ... he spotted the pinhole. He shuts the unit down & did not fix. That was because of what he said ... the pinhole made it unlawful to run regardless of the fact it was weekend & 40° below zero windchill outside & the fact the bay was not that sealed like in most shop areas where the unit would tend to be used.

That is why we like our fan included hot glycol (water-steam) unit heaters. Without them it gets a bit too foggy in the bay ... anybody else dislike the fog in the bay when the cold air meets the warmer air?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl ... is your forced air unit heater going to be in an area of water droplets?
Yes, it is in the Tunnel and this is why they don't last more than 10 years. This one will be mounted about 15 feet from the rinse arch.

Please post a link to the >> fan included hot glycol (water-steam) unit heaters. <<

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Yes, it is in the Tunnel and this is why they don't last more than 10 years. This one will be mounted about 15 feet from the rinse arch.

Please post a link to the >> fan included hot glycol (water-steam) unit heaters. <<
Below is the pertinent link. The mounted vertical version of one of these was a good choice for us because of existing boiler capability. Ours uses an inexpensive somewhat universal type of 1/6 HP fan motor. The only part at risk is the fan motor & it is always stocked at our goto electric motor shop. I think we have had to only replace the motor once ... maybe an even less expensive capacitor once or twice ... since about 1991.