What's new

SAE oil spec for CAT PUMPS?

Gabriel

Reaction score
Are there any other oils that have the ISO 68 rating like Cat? Also I was thinking what is the cause and effect of one operator living in North Dakota or Canada and another operating in South Florida or Arizona. What are the critical differentiating points?

Kevin James

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge we have never changed the oil in any of our pumps. Are you supposed to change the oil in your pumps on a regular schedule? A 21 oz. bottle of Cat pump oil from KR is $6.46. The crankcase on Cat 310 holds 18 oz. of oil, not very expensive if that’s what you want to do. I see little or no need in changing the oil in the pump if there isn’t any water in the oil.

Cat pump oil is ISO Grade 68 is the Equivalent SAE Grade 20W

ISO Grade 100 is the Equivalent SAE Grade 30W

Gabriel

Reaction score
Kevin, my personal feeling is that you have discribed it about as clearly as is necessary. However, being of the old school I do like to change that oil on a regular maintenance schedule. Not from fear of any combustible material effecting the oil, but concern related to the possibility of metal scraps or other undetected debris that might get into the case.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I would think the oil would break down over time? I wouldnt want to take a chance on a $5000.00 Cat Pump

MEP001

Reaction score
Heat is primarily what makes oil break down. The main reason to change the oil in a car wash pump is contamination, including metal particles that are a normal part of pump wear. Even the humidity and dust in the pump room contaminates the oil.

Back4More

Equipment & Chem Supplier
Reaction score
I know CAT and Hydra Oil come from the same company, however I believe the spec may be different. I also think Hypro oil is from the same company and I wouldn't be shocked if General was the same thing dyed a different color as well.
In fact, in our warehouse the other day we opened a Hypro, CAT, and Hydracell oil and by eye couldn't see any noticeable difference. I was told 30 weight non-detergent oil is perfectly fine for use in CAT pumps. Is CAT oil one of your biggest expenses? I'd think there were a lot of places I would be looking to shave costs before that. I know it's more the point that no one likes to fell screwed over on a purchase, but understand that none of us selling CAT oil are making any money on it.

Ron

Etowah