What's new

SAE oil spec for CAT PUMPS?

washtecnic

Reaction score
Hello,

I use cat pumps model 350 for my inbays

Can any one please tell me what is the oild SAE specs that I can use inside these pumps?

I dont want to use what CAT PUMPS says is their specific oil I am sure any other specific SAE spec oil will be ok I just wonder what SAE Spec?

Thanks

Mario

Rudy

Reaction score
I have Cat 3535's, 623's and 1010's.....and have used 30 weight NON DETERGENT (Important!) for close to 20 years without a single issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've also used ND 30 in Cat pumps and have never had any sort of crankcase failure.

CCAR

Reaction score
The Cat oil is a 20 weight oil I don't know why you would want to use a 30 weight oil. I don't see where there is a lot of difference in the price of oil, that you would save that much in a years time. Buying your car wash chemicals in a 55 gallon size would save you more money than trying to save a dollar on a quart on oil. Just my thoughts.

mac

Reaction score
There is a big difference in price from the Cat oil and what you can get at the local auto parts store.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
There is a big difference in price from the Cat oil and what you can get at the local auto parts store.
Mac is spot-on. The Cat oil runs about 12 bucks a quart, and of course it is not readily available and may need to be shipped as well. What's a quart of ND-20 or 30...about 3 bucks?

dogwasher

Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this so I will save you some time.
This is what you want:
Chevron ISO GST100 Turbine oil (5 gallon pal)

WAY less than buying the Cat Oil!
Cat Oil adds a die, thats why its dark color, the Chevron will be a light color

MEP001

Reaction score
dogwasher is absolutely correct.

washnvac

Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this so I will save you some time.
This is what you want:
Where the heck do you get that? I googled it, and can not find a retailer.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Cat Oil

I am just wondering how many people actually think that Cat Manufacturers any oil. Sure, Cat Specs are the guideline and they are easily duplicated by most any Major Oil Co. at significantly lower prices. On the other hand I know guys that have used 20 or 30 weight non detergent oil for over 20 years with no negative results. Synthetics anyone? I personally think there is no reason to pay exorbitant Cat Prices for a product that Cat simply contracts out.

MEP001

Reaction score
I agree that the Cat markup is a little ridiculous. I found someone willing to make the valve back-up rings for 12 cents apiece. I just ordered some from Kleen-Rite that were almost $2.50 each.

Anyone willing to go in on a share of 100,000 backup rings? :)

washnvac

Reaction score
I found someone willing to make the valve back-up rings for 12 cents apiece. I just ordered some from Kleen-Rite that were almost $2.50 each.

Anyone willing to go in on a share of 100,000 backup rings? :)
McMaster-Carr has them for 18 cents a piece. You only have to order a bag of 50. 9 bucks plus shipping. Search size 13 split back up o-ring.

Greg

Reaction score
Pump Oil

30wt non-detergent is common and ok to use. Another option is a multi-blend such as SHELL TELLUS S2V100, MULTI-WT ISO 100 - SAE 20W40 non-detergent.

Using any oil equivilants mentioned here and in previous posts will not let you down, but using no oil will.

Do not use detergent oil as there is tendancy to generate foam.

Greg Thoennes
Arimitsu Pumps

JustClean

Reaction score
I did a lot of research on this so I will save you some time. This is what you want:
I found this: http://www.basstool.com/PDF/literature_pdf/Machine_Lubricant_Cross_ Reference.pdf

I think in Australia companies have to say what is in the box. In Australia the original Cat oil container says:
Crankcase Oil - ISO 68 SPECIAL FORMULA PREMIUM GRADE
Custom blend, petroleum based, hydraulic oil with advanced additive package to protect against wear, oxidation, rust and corrosion.

That is, however, not exactly the Chevron GST100...
Cheers.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
We had a customer who was affiliated with Texaco. He sent a sample of Cat oil to be analyzed and said it was not a custom blend specifically made for Cat, but an off-the-shelf Chevron fluid as dogwasher said.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Now we are getting into some really deep water. Which is better, Ford, Chevy, Dodge? Which is better Mobil, Pennzoil, Castrol, Shell, Cheveron, Cat, or most any reputable 30 weight non-detergent oil. What about Cat, Armitsu, General? Who makes the best crank case, which blows up more often, what oil can save them? Some of these answers are a lot easier than others--or are they? I am willing to bet that there are a lot of different answers out there.

bighead

Reaction score
I just contacted my Chevron supplier to see what that turbine oil costs, and he told me he'd sell it for $15 a gallon (on a five gallon pail)

If that helps anyone

JustClean

Reaction score
We had a customer who was affiliated with Texaco. He sent a sample of Cat oil to be analyzed and said it was not a custom blend specifically made for Cat, but an off-the-shelf Chevron fluid as dogwasher said.
I also believe it is an off-the-shelf oil. No need for them to re-invent the wheel. However, looking at the original bottle it states ISO 68 while the Chevron is ISO 100. That is a different viscosity: http://www.themeter.net/viscosita_e.htm
Do you think they use different oils for different countries?

MEP001

Reaction score
JustClean said:
Do you think they use different oils for different countries?
Probably not; that's interesting about the ISO 68 rating on the Cat bottle though. I'd forgotten it had that.