What's new

Revamping my foam brush system.

MEP001

Reaction score
Yuck.

There's nothing complicated to a foam brush system. A local guy uses a large piece of plastic for the board. You can pick up a Baker's Choice cutting board at Sam's for about $12 that would make a nice-looking board, and it will never rot. Get two sets of block solenoids and mount them to the board, get a FloJet pump with the quick-change bracket, two air regulators (One for the air to the bay and one for the pump pressure), about an hour's work and you have a new system except for the tank.

The foamers aren't necessary, but you will get more foam with less use of chemical. Just don't pack them too tight or you'll get too little foam that will be too thick and dry to flow well.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
So there is no pump? You use city water pressure?
It's using a motorized vane pump...on the left.

The old school systems were powered with city water pressure. I converted many water pressure/dema injector systems to Flo-jet power in my day. What a pain in the posterior they were...way too many things to adjust...way too many things to fail. An inexperienced operator or attendant could really screw up the entire system by making trial and error adjustments. One operator actually filled his air compressor with foam brush soap!

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I just updated my post then you pointed it out also. I was wondering what was going on? :)

I believe that the regulator is the issue? They are super annoying to adjust and I would replace it like mep1 said or just purchase an idx controller.

MEP001

Reaction score
I just updated my post then you pointed it out also. I was wondering what was going on? :)

I believe that the regulator is the issue? They are super annoying to adjust and I would replace it like mep1 said or just purchase an idx controller.
That's another option, but it would take a lot more work and cost about the same to redo the system with a pump controller. FloJet pumps are very reliable if they're supplied with clean, dry air.

MEP001

Reaction score

The old school systems were powered with city water pressure. I converted many water pressure/dema injector systems to Flo-jet power in my day. What a pain in the posterior they were...way too many things to adjust...way too many things to fail. An inexperienced operator or attendant could really screw up the entire system by making trial and error adjustments. One operator actually filled his air compressor with foam brush soap!
The weirdest system I've seen was a home-built unit that didn't have a pump. There there three pieces of 6" PVC, one mounted vertically high up on the wall that was the tank for the Hydrominder. At the bottom of that was a 1 1/2" PVC check valve that fed another 6" pipe, about 4 feet long. It had a reed liquid level switch in the side and a 3-way solenoid on top, so when the level got below a certain point the solenoid would open to atmosphere as a vent so the soap would gravity-flow into the tank, then the solenoid would close, the "tank" would pressurize and push soap to a third pipe. It also had a liquid level switch in the side that would activate the other system to pump.

Edie011

Reaction score
Yuck.

There's nothing complicated to a foam brush system. A local guy uses a large piece of plastic for the board. You can pick up a Baker's Choice cutting board at Sam's for about $12 that would make a nice-looking board, and it will never rot. Get two sets of block solenoids and mount them to the board, get a FloJet pump with the quick-change bracket, two air regulators (One for the air to the bay and one for the pump pressure), about an hour's work and you have a new system except for the tank.

The foamers aren't necessary, but you will get more foam with less use of chemical. Just don't pack them too tight or you'll get too little foam that will be too thick and dry to flow well.
How many flo jet pumps do you need? Can you get away with just one?

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
One Flo-jet G57 will easily handle a 4-bay system. It's very rare that all 4 bays will be using FB at the same time. Regardless, my busy 8-bay uses one Flo-jet G57.

A couple of 4-bay Kip solenoid blocks, a couple of mini air pressure regulators, a handful of push-to-connect fittings, 2 spools of PE tubing, a blend tank (5 gallon bucket?) and a 511 Hydrominder will get you well on your way to revampation.

Mep's cutting board suggestion is awesome. I wish I'd thought of it.

Don't forget...you're gonna need to use winter formula soap or a fancy freeze protection system to keep the brushes usable in sub-freezing weather.

OR...that Air Logic System for One Large and all you have to do is mount it on the wall, connect the poly lines out, air in, water in, connect the bay switch inputs and you're back in biz!

Last edited:

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
Or something like this:
https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-24642-idx-mx10-24v-multiplex-controller.aspx

But I think the flojet is a great idea.
http://car-wash.kleen-ritecorp.com/search?w=Flo-jet G57

Either way it is around $100.

I got some stuff I can sell you! JK LOL :) But if your stand is stainless there is no reason to replace anything. I know this is debatable.... I have talked to Randy and I see 2biz's stuff. I have a Mark VII getup in that color brown? also. I also scraped a blue Mark VII stand.... is blue newer or older?

Edie011

Reaction score
Ordered the flojet 57 today! Got 2 manifolds as well with 2 regulators. Already have plumbing to the bays for the brush so it should be a breeze!!

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Ordered the flojet 57 today! Got 2 manifolds as well with 2 regulators.
Good choice based on some good advice.

I see some galvanized fittings in your old setup, good chance that they gummed up the works and thats what caused it to fail. Dont use any galvanized fittings in your rebuild, for that matter dont use them anywhere ever. And if you have it anywhere else, replacing it will save you some emergency headscratching repairs down the road.

FWIW, I do not use foamers. Air and FB soap are pushed out in separate hoses to the mainfold at the top of the bay, then T'ed together into the boom hose. Prior to installing a new brush head, I shove a bunch of plastic scrubbie material into the brush head and handle... so in a sense my "foamer" is the last 6 inches of the handle and the brush head itself. One less thing to deal with IMO and it works good for me.

Robert2181

Reaction score
You can buy a system or make one your self. Like (canbreak 80) said you are already 90%. you can buy it or make it for a penny on the dollar.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
You can buy a system or make one your self. Like (canbreak 80) said you are already 90%. you can buy it or make it for a penny on the dollar.
Robert is right.....

But I don't think purchasing all new equipment (pumping station) is always better.... also a PLCs might make systems more complex and harder to troubleshoot? :)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW I do not and would not use foam generators. I use them in tunnel applications and they get gummed up over time. With the bays, having the soap and air mix for 25+ feet from over the bay to the brush is plenty of foam making time. (I use an Erie 6 hole brush)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRMAQnwIPw

pgrzes

Reaction score
Robert is right.....

But I don't think purchasing all new equipment (pumping station) is always better.... also a PLCs might make systems more complex and harder to troubleshoot? :)

wow my Super Saver pumpstand wiring is totally different then that!!!??????

Etowah