What's new

Regulator issues

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Solved! The bypass hoses were partially clogged. I installed new hoses and no more surging!

Ayerule

Reaction score
I also had the same issues cmawash was talking about with the heat build up and wear on motors. A couple of months ago I tried to dress up the place with new hoses, wands, guns, brushes, timers, clean meter box faces, vac hoses and domes... the whole lot. When I installed the new guns it was a pleasant surprise that they shut off completely when the trigger isn't pulled and I thought I would be saving money on water. Every penny counts.

However, with the same paraplate BR-52 regulators and cat pump set up previously mentioned I notice excessive heat build up, odd noises from the pump stand and spikes in pressure. For the life of me I could not figure it out. It turns out I purchased non-weep guns and the system I had wasn't prepared for that. Realizing my mistake after reading this thread (you guys rock by the way, thank you) I switched back to my old weep guns with new nozzles as a temporary fix until I can affords new weep guns to maintain the new'ish feel/look I'm trying to give the place.

My question is would you prefer/is it less maintenance to have weep guns with the current set up, or should I look at investing in some unloaders and non-weep guns?

Thank you in advance.

MEP001

Reaction score
Having weep for freeze protection is really the only reason to use weep guns. I assume in Florida that freezing weather isn't much of a problem. We have about three months a year where it can freeze without much warning, and I would prefer to just run weep guns year round than have to change guns/regulators twice a year. I figure since the only time there's soap or water going down the drain when it's not below 32° the meter is running anyway.

Randy

Reaction score
Solved! The bypass hoses were partially clogged. I installed new hoses and no more surging!
Mel thanks for coming back and posting the solution and fix to your pump problem. It would nice if more Forum members would do the same.

Ayerule

Reaction score
Not to beat a dead horse here, but if my pump is leaking at the head ( I assume 'head' is where silver meets blue on a cat 310 ) after using the wrong guns with the wrong setup.. Do I need to replace the seals, replace the motor, rebuild it all together, etc..? Is this a commonly preformed work order or did I really screw something up?
Thank you in advance.

Randy

Reaction score
Yes the silver thing that meets the blue is the head. Yes it’s normal maintenance to replace the seals. If you’ve got water dripping from the back of the head, you’ve probably damaged the low pressure seals and the “O” ring on the plunger head bolt. I’d pull the head off the crankcase and inspect the ceramic plungers for cracks. I’d replace the low pressure, the high pressure seals and the “O” ring on the plunger head bolt. While you’ve got it apart you might also remove the valves and inspect the “O” ring on the valves and inspect the head for head wash out. Here’s a pretty good video on how to repair your 310 pump https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNDbUIMVotU