What's new

Regulator issues

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I have Cat 310 pumps with Paraplate BR52 regulators. I had a regulator start leaking a couple of months ago so I replaced it with a new one. The new one lasted about a month before it started leaking and the pump started pulsating. I replaced it again and the pump started pulsating as soon as I dialed the pressure up on the second regulator. The pulsating only happens when the trigger is NOT pulled. The pump runs very smooth at 1050 psi when the trigger is pulled. I tried switching the regulator to a different pump and it did the same thing. Any ideas what might be wrong?

lilb93

Reaction score
I would say check your check valves in the pump, there might be a bad one or more. that just might be what is causing the regulator to go bad from the pounding. We run ours at 2000 PSI. Have no problems.. KNOCK on wood.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Several years ago I had a goofy pulsating issue like that. It ended up being a problem with the gun. I don't remember exactly what it was, but I remember replacing the gun made the problem go away.

cmawash

Reaction score
don,t consider paraplate( kleen rite rek52) a really good unloader as it maintains pressure on the pump seals, watching the unloader operate. pump was running at 1200 psi, when pump was running in bypass, but not shut off pump pressure when to 1400 psi. when the pump shut off pressure remained on the system these unloaders have cause many failures on cat seals by not unloading properly, to solve the problem when to a constant bypass unloader and pump failures drop by 85%, do not have weep guns or need for weep guns.

pump & seal problems when way down with the change different unloader system, replace 8 kleen rite unloaders with 8 gp unloaders. a GOOD UNLOADER MAKES LIFE A LOT MORE ENJOYABLE

Stuart

Reaction score
Are you using weep guns? Also check brass fittings downstream for washout. I have had this issue with no visible leaks.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
Are you using weep guns? Also check brass fittings downstream for washout. I have had this issue with no visible leaks.
Stuart, I am using weep guns. Can you explain the washout on brass fittings? I am not sure what you mean.

MEP001

Reaction score
It sounds like you've gotten two bad regulators. I've had the same thing happen, runs fine when the trigger is pulled but the pump "thumps" about twice a second like someone's pulling/releasing the trigger in the bay. Since you moved the regulator to another bay and it still does it, that should confirm it's not a problem with the pump.

MEP001

Reaction score
don,t consider paraplate( kleen rite rek52) a really good unloader as it maintains pressure on the pump seals
All regulators maintain pressure on the pump with the trigger released.

Paraplate BR5-2 is not an unloader, it's a bypass regulator. An unloader is used with a non-weep gun and when the trigger is released the pump should run with no pressure. Using an unloader with a weep gun will cause it work just like a bypass regulator.

cmawash

Reaction score
some units are such as the br5-2 cause excessive heat build up in the pump when pump idles in by pass mode, try touching a unit of this design, its get hot real fast, this type has caused pump failures galore, yet some equipment suppliers such as hydro spray continue to sell supply these units on their pumping plants. we got stuck with their product, after 15 pump rebuilds

we redesigned the units with a gp 7.1 unloader bypass pressure went from 1200 psi to 150 psi, no need for temp safety pop valves and seals failures became a non issue. we got stuck with a poor equipment design and had to fix a $32000 investment so it would operate, not happy with kleen rite who sold us the equipment and hydro spray who built the equipment

MEP001

Reaction score
some units are such as the br5-2 cause excessive heat build up in the pump when pump idles in by pass mode, try touching a unit of this design, its get hot real fast, this type has caused pump failures galore, yet some equipment suppliers such as hydro spray continue to sell supply these units on their pumping plants. we got stuck with their product, after 15 pump rebuilds
That is not a fault of the regulator. Are you using non-weep guns? Did they know you were going to when you ordered the equipment?

Etowah

cmawash

Reaction score
the unloaders regulators supplied with pumping plants WAS THE PROBLEM
after replacing kleen rite REK52 unloaders,with the bypass units pressure spikes went away, heat build from pump running in bypass mode went away. bY PASS UNLOADERS DO NOT CARE IF THE SYSTEM HAS A WEEP GUN OR NOT
Pumps now run smoothly, had to do a lot of equipment changes because the company did not much about pumping units

The gp7.1 DO cost a little extra but with over 50 pumps in service WE DO SEE A DIFFERENCE

MEP001

Reaction score
If you were using non-weep guns, then the BR5-2 regulator was being used in the wrong application. That doesn't make the Paraplate a bad regulator.

Randy

Reaction score
I’d be interested to know what Model GP regulator/unloader you replaced the ParaPlate BR5-2 or Kleen-Rite REK52 with? We’ve got a lot of ParaPlate BR-52 regulators in service and have never had the problems you’re talking about. You never did say if you’re using a weep type gun or a shutoff type gun. Which gun are you using? The Kleen-Rite pumping equipment we bought 3 years ago has worked flawlessly.

cmawash

Reaction score
the unloader is k7 series unloader (flow sensitive), kleen rite #gpuzk71, we started using these unloaders after talking with a cat factory rep. who recommended this unit, boy did he did us right

units are build like a tank and very reliable and I mean very reliable, over the past 30 years have tried many combinations and this is the one that works for us. when they finally ware out we just buy a new unit as repair kit is more expensive then a new unit. the cat pumps seem to love these unloaders. once adjusted they last for years with no problems.

we also use non weep, but we have also tried weep with no problems

Randy

Reaction score
just the company who supplied the equipment
Why would the company that supplied the equipment be at fault or the equipment be of a poor design? When you ordered the equipment did you inform them at the time of the order that you would be using a non-weep type gun?

MEP001

Reaction score
we also use non weep
That's what I've been asking/saying all along, if you used non-weep guns with Paraplate BR5-2 regulators, YOU used the wrong guns. That is neither the fault of the regulator or the equipment design, unless thy told you that you can use non-weep guns.

cmawash

Reaction score
UNLOADER unit was a REK52 kleen rite labeled product ( DONT KNOW WHO BUILD IT, HYDRO SPRAY THE EQUIPMENT BUILDER SAYS KLEEN RITE SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE PUMPING PLANT,

it was the excessive pressure build up in the pumps system when the system went in by pass, this caused pump damage and excessive heat build , weep system did not help this problem, unless weep was a max flow rates then you would not even need a trigger gun, weep is a negative thing to have were we are in water use REQUIREMENTS control area, AND WE DONT WANT TO HAVE GOVERMENT SHUT US DOWN FOR EXCESSIVE WATER USE

WITH UNLOADERS WE NOW USE WE CAN GO EITHER WAY WEEP OR NON WEEP SYSTEM, AND THE PUMPS NOW LAST AND RUN WITH NO PROBLEMS

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I still don't think he gets it! :confused:

MEP001

Reaction score
UNLOADER unit was a REK52 kleen rite labeled product
1. That is NOT an unloader. It's a bypass regulator.
2. It is a Paraplate BR5-2 with a Kleen-Rite label.
3. This "excessive pressure build up" was not caused by the "REK52" regulator. It was caused by using non-weep guns with bypass regulators. I've had melted pump seals from clogged tips or frozen lines, and it would have happened no matter which bypass regulator I was using.